Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #621
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2retireearly View Post
Thanks, I know my pre-65 health coverage would end at 65, but my company I retired from (57) offers a benefit at 65 of $200 paid monthly as a subsidy for MedSup plan.(anyone hired after me, does NOT get this perk anymore). I can't get a straight answer from the AON HEWITT 3rd Party Administrator,to tell me IF I waive my retiree coverage, do I still get this Medigap Subsidy. This is my quandary...as ACA would most probably be less than what my ex-company could give me, but I don'twant to give up the age 65 $200 perk. Only a rhetorical musing...but not knowing the answer is unnerving. I signed up with the Company, as the open enrollment is ending..but maybe for NEXT year,I will know the answer and can do ACA.
Guess I'm lucky. Our company said, in writing, we can still get the
benefit, even if we leave the retire's plan. (Agilent).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank god I don't have to go on this site. The security holes are terrible. Not commenting on the law itself, but the site is a security nightmare. Good luck on putting all your personnel data on it.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #623
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Thank god I don't have to go on this site. The security holes are terrible. Not commenting on the law itself, but the site is a security nightmare. Good luck on putting all your personnel data on it.
As someone who successfully navigated the site very early on (and someone who comes from the banking industry - highly security minded), I really don't have much concern. While there is personal information being collected, there isn't anything that I can recall that I likely couldn't collect on someone in pretty short order by using one of the search engines already available for that purpose. There is no medical information being collected and no financial (banking or credit card) material being collected .... That information is provided directly to the insurers post enrollment).

Some of this reminds me of conversations with former banking customers concerned about security. They said they'd "never use a card online" and would "never make a deposit at the ATM" and preferred writing checks to using online banking bill pay. These same people, though, when asked, readily admitted that they have many times handed their credit card or debit card to a server at a restaurant who'd leave the table to use it. They also seemed surprised that it was an unusual day when a teller line would be fully in balance and that it "never" happened that the ATM would be out of balance. (And that if the teller line was out of balance less than a 4 digit number, we'd do a cursory review but not much in depth unless a customer complained).

They also don't consider that online bill pay goes "computer to computer" without human intervention while writing checks means a minimum wage clerk is opening an envelope and immediately having access to their name, address, routing and account numbers, (and in some cases phone numbers and drivers license number!)

Identity theft is real ... But true hackers aren't going after sites that don't provide financial information. They don't need to. There are more than enough opportunities for breaking into systems that have immediately usable information.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #624
Confused about dryer sheets

I signed up today via phone after several failed attempts via the web site. Took 1 hour. Of particular interest, they wanted my 2013 estimated income, not my 2014 estimated income for subsidy calculation. I questioned this several times. This is contrary to everything I have read, Since I worked this year before retiring, I have significant wages, so, no subsidy for me even though retired now and will be in 2014.
Is this accurate??! or did I get a healthcare.gov rep and supervisor who were not appropriately informed?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #625
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4brake View Post
I signed up today via phone after several failed attempts via the web site. Took 1 hour. Of particular interest, they wanted my 2013 estimated income, not my 2014 estimated income for subsidy calculation. I questioned this several times. This is contrary to everything I have read, Since I worked this year before retiring, I have significant wages, so, no subsidy for me even though retired now and will be in 2014.
Is this accurate??! or did I get a healthcare.gov rep and supervisor who were not appropriately informed?
Everything I've filled out was for projected 2014 income. They may have changed policy, or you got a neebie. I'm in the same boat retired 2013, so comparing 2012, 2013, and projected 2014 is of little value.

MRG
Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #626

Quote:
Time4Brake,

I signed up online, and the system definitely used my estimated 2014 income, not my estimated 2013 income. My 2013 income was way more than my 2014 income. I got a nice subsidy based on my 2014 estimated income.

Some of the chat folks at healthcare.gov seem to be on crack, or just horrrrrrrrrrrrribly incompetent or lazy. I have not yet called the 800 number, fearing I may reach another crack enthusiast. Sounds like you got hosed, may have reached one of the crackheads.

Maybe you can find a sentient Navigator to talk to. I tried several Navigators, some were useless, but I eventually found one that seems intelligent and helpful. You can click somewhere at hc.gov to find navigators "in your area". You might be able to correct the mistake still.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #627

Quote:
As I recall it asked for current ( 2013 ) income, then asked if 2014 would be the same, If yes then it continued, if no then you entered 2014 estimate. The subsidy is calculated from 2014 estimate. If 2014 is substantially different from 2013 they can ask for additional verification. I had already reduced my MAGI starting in 2013 in anticipation.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #628
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post
As someone who successfully navigated the site very early on (and someone who comes from the banking industry - highly security minded), I really don't have much concern. While there is personal information being collected, there isn't anything that I can recall that I likely couldn't collect on someone in pretty short order by using one of the search engines already available for that purpose. There is no medical information being collected and no financial (banking or credit card) material being collected .... That information is provided directly to the insurers post enrollment).
On our state's exchange, if you receive a subsidy and opt to take it in advance, you pay the exchange and the exchange your portion of the premium and the exchange pays the insurance company. For the initial payment you must provide a credit or debit card.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #629
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Time4Brake,

I signed up online, and the system definitely used my estimated 2014 income, not my estimated 2013 income. My 2013 income was way more than my 2014 income. I got a nice subsidy based on my 2014 estimated income.

Some of the chat folks at healthcare.gov seem to be on crack, or just horrrrrrrrrrrrribly incompetent or lazy. I have not yet called the 800 number, fearing I may reach another crack enthusiast. Sounds like you got hosed, may have reached one of the crackheads.

Maybe you can find a sentient Navigator to talk to. I tried several Navigators, some were useless, but I eventually found one that seems intelligent and helpful. You can click somewhere at hc.gov to find navigators "in your area". You might be able to correct the mistake still.
The one time I called in with a question (not something basic or I wouldn't have called) I had the same problem - I was much more educated about the workings of the law and exchange than the 'navigator' on the other end of the phone. After much frustration I asked to speak to a supervisor which I was allowed to do. The supervisor was helpful and able to answer my question.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #630
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
On our state's exchange, if you receive a subsidy and opt to take it in advance, you pay the exchange and the exchange your portion of the premium and the exchange pays the insurance company. For the initial payment you must provide a credit or debit card.
I signed up on the exchange and received a subsidy. Last Friday in the mail a form to fill out, from my new insurance company, on first months payment. Mailed the form for auto withdrawal and today the insurance company called to ask if it was OK with me to make withdrawal from my checking account today for first months payment. I will receive my new insurance ID cards first of next week. I am one of the lucky ones. Signing up went great and things are falling in place. Very satisfied.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #631
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I was not asked for my 2013 income whatsoever ... only my projected 2014 income. There'll be quite a difference as I've been living strictly off dividends, interest, and non-taxable savings in 2013 but will be managing my income to fit the amount needed for subsidy in 2014.

I do believe that they're running "some" through a check process to compare 2014 back to their last tax record year (2012) but this is the first I've heard of being asked about 2013.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post

Some of this reminds me of conversations with former banking customers concerned about security. They said they'd "never use a card online" and would "never make a deposit at the ATM" and preferred writing checks to using online banking bill pay. These same people, though, when asked, readily admitted that they have many times handed their credit card or debit card to a server at a restaurant who'd leave the table to use it. They also seemed surprised that it was an unusual day when a teller line would be fully in balance and that it "never" happened that the ATM would be out of balance. (And that if the teller line was out of balance less than a 4 digit number, we'd do a cursory review but not much in depth unless a customer complained).

They also don't consider that online bill pay goes "computer to computer" without human intervention while writing checks means a minimum wage clerk is opening an envelope and immediately having access to their name, address, routing and account numbers, (and in some cases phone numbers and drivers license number!)

Identity theft is real ... But true hackers aren't going after sites that don't provide financial information. They don't need to. There are more than enough opportunities for breaking into systems that have immediately usable information.
I'm happy that you are comfortable. I'm just glad I don't have to expose myself on that site. And I am a retired Unix System Admin so I guess I don't know anything. . . .

ACA Health Exchange Contractors Have History of Security Failures - Slashdot
Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #633
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
I'm happy that you are comfortable. I'm just glad I don't have to expose myself on that site. And I am a retired Unix System Admin so I guess I don't know anything. . . .

ACA Health Exchange Contractors Have History of Security Failures - Slashdot
I agree the website has my name, ssn, dob, address. Potentially my driver license and passport number, although I can seem to upload the last two. What more does someone need to steal my identity
Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #634
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried to get into and check my saved options today and can't. Ever turn brings up another error notice saying to call. I will only call at my last option. Hopefully it is just logged down due to more people being off work and checking.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #635

I got a coherent chat person this morning at healthcare.gov. I told her I am already enrolled and have selected a plan of my choosing, but have not heard from the insurance company yet, been 6 days, and whether I should have been contacted by now. She said healthcare.gov is backed up with volume, but to wait, and I will be provided my documentation in time to be subscribed to my plan by 1/1/2014 .
Old 11-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #636
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I got a coherent chat person this morning at healthcare.gov. I told her I am already enrolled and have selected a plan of my choosing, but have not heard from the insurance company yet, been 6 days, and whether I should have been contacted by now. She said healthcare.gov is backed up with volume, but to wait, and I will be provided my documentation in time to be subscribed to my plan by 1/1/2014 .
And you believed her?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
And you believed her?
Must be Stockholm Syndrome. heh heh. Or some variation of it.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #638
Give me a forum ...

I still have not tried to get an account on healthcare.gov. I am not sure if I want to get off my grandfathered pre-ACA policy, but I should at least take a peek to get a comparison. Perhaps I should make a first attempt next week.

Anyway, the worst ACA state site is Oregon's. It has not signed up a single applicant via the Web portal. See: Oracle blamed for terrible Oregon Obamacare site- MSN Money.

So, I went to www.coveroregonexchange.com, clicked on "Apply Now", and up popped a pdf application to be printed, filled out, and sent in. They are doing it the old-fashioned way.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #639
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I still have not tried to get an account on healthcare.gov. I am not sure if I want to get off my grandfathered pre-ACA policy, but I should at least take a peek to get a comparison. Perhaps I should make a first attempt next week.
You don't need an account to get a peek. Use healthsherpa or Valuepenguin and find the policies available in your area and the premiums you would pay.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 11-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #640
Recycles dryer sheets

I was able to get back into my application. But now it is giving me costs just for me and not my wife. It even shows us both on the applications, but the quotes are for one person only. This website worked great for me a week ago, but it is getting more messed up everyday. Each time I try to get in I get different results.
Closed Thread