Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

ACA sign Up
Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ACA sign Up

So I suppose it was almost inevitable. Logged into healthcare.gov this morning. First time, the screen produced nothing but gibberish. Reloaded and it didn't recognize the name/password I had set up weeks ago so I tried asking it to send me password reset. That was about 20 minutes ago and nothing yet. So I tried to go in to set up a different email ... All went smooth, got a confirmation email in seconds. Tried to log in using that new information and, like the first time, the system doesn't recognize the name/password.

As I say, should have expected that it'd glitch up this morning ..... Will try again later today but not expecting much, to be honest,

Will be interesting to see how long it will take to get up and running.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did the registration and email confirmation a few weeks ago. So I just tried to login and I got a message that many people are trying to use the site, please wait until you see the login page. It was a short wait and I was able to put in my login info.

But now it's hung up on a blank page. Obviously, I'll just have to come back later. Nice try.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #3

Having problems today is probably to be expected. Having problems a month from now is probably a sign of debacle in the making.

I'm curious what the real cost will be for a real plan where I can search doctors. All we've been able to see so far has been generalized information with no real specifics. I'm going to wait a few weeks before trying.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Same experience here as the OP. I did actually speak to someone at HHS this morning on the phone after a 5 to 10 minute wait. They said the site was down for another "upgrade" and would not be available until 8AM today.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I tried the DC and Maryland exchanges and got nowhere. The Maryland exchange at least notified me that it would not be active until 8:00 AM. I would be shocked beyond belief if many of these systems work well out of the gate. They are IT systems after all.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Same experience as the rest of you. I figured the site would be overloaded, but thought I'd try.
Anyone else see the irony in the Health Exchange becomes active the same day there is a partial government "shutdown"?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

I tried at 4 am Eastern and it was busy and I got an error message once I logged in. Got on a chat and the rep said others having the same issue and they were going to do an update. Haven't tried again yet.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

DC site is up at 8:00 AM. Working better than I expected but some stupid glitches. For example, you have to complete a profile to get quotes but it automatically assumes the user smokes. There are drop downs to say yes or no for dependents but no way to advise the system I am not a smoker. Rates are better than expected as has been discussed previously but I am glad I have employer subsidized HI. I am also happy to pay a few bucks more in taxes to supplement low income folks. No one in the lower half of the income range should be stuck with the choice to pay full costs out of pocket or go without HI -- that is not what universal coverage is all about.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #9

I wonder what kind of volume testing was done. Or maybe Oct 1st is the volume testing
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I wonder what kind of volume testing was done. Or maybe Oct 1st is the volume testing
As you can tell by the earlier posts, there are many "tourists" that really aren't shopping for HI but just want to see what's available.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #11

I am waiting to do mine in Spanish.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
Administrator

Thanks for posting about this. I just e-mailed Frank about it and suggested that he might want to wait a few days before he even tries to log in there, in order to reduce his aggravation.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #13

For some, rushing the insurance marketplace is like in line for Black Friday shopping. Depending on perception, either a complete madhouse or fun and necessary.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #14

As mentioned probably a lot of "tourists". Every media outlet has probably got people trying to login so they can report back on the "failure" of the ACA.

I know a guy in the IT dept at the local hospital. They rolled a new web based management system about a month ago... they are still debugging parts of it ( glad it's not me )
Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #15

Cannot log on there, either. Keep getting the screen-
"Health Insurance Marketplace: please wait"

Tried waiting (long), and re-loading page but no luck
Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #16

Just a suggestion here, folks, but maybe try tomorrow? Is there some kinda sale on that is good for today only?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Just a suggestion here, folks, but maybe try tomorrow? Is there some kinda sale on that is good for today only?
If you actually need the info, wait a few days and then login late at night or early in the morning.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I agree it makes sense to wait a few days, new sites typically get overloaded with the early look-sees. But OTOH, we hear that some 40% or so of people think ACA has been repealed. Imagine if all those people were trying to access it?

-ERD50
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's just hope all the IT workers supporting the healthcare.gov website aren't considered "non-essential"....
Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Let's just hope all the IT workers supporting the healthcare.gov website aren't considered "non-essential"....
Shutdown doesn't work that way. The only entities that get closed are those that need a 2014 appropriation. But, like social security, the ACA is a mandatory program that doesn't rely on annual appropriations so everybody associated with it keeps working. Like anything else it may get some peripheral setbacks from other agency shutdowns but the law itself, and the exchanges keep right marching on.