Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernow View Post
This stuff scares me, because I can see it coming...I'll have a big claim in April and they'll say I'm not covered because the subsidy part was not actually paid. This is why I'm just paying the full amount from here on and getting it back at tax time. I want to know for sure that things are paid.

I will be taking this approach too.

And I predict healthcare subsidy advances will go by the wayside within the next few years. I can see a time where any subsidy will first be asset means tested vs income means tested (as is done for many other subsidies/benefits) and will be paid out one year in arrears or some different approach vs the mess that exists today. Something is gonna have to give.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
I will be taking this approach too.

And I predict healthcare subsidy advances will go by the wayside within the next few years. I can see a time where any subsidy will first be asset means tested vs income means tested (as is done for many other subsidies/benefits) and will be paid out one year in arrears or some different approach vs the mess that exists today. Something is gonna have to give.
Actually there are not many other benefits that are asset tested. Most are income tested.

Asset testing is not as easy to do as income testing.
ACA subsidy revoked, then reinstated
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #43
gone traveling

ACA subsidy revoked, then reinstated

Agree asset testing is harder to do but many programs do have asset testing. Some even have look back rules -- in fact many state and federal benefits are means tested based on assets not income - for example - Medicaid, SNAP (food stamps), section 8 housing, federal Education financial aid , all are asset/means tested not just income tested. It's strange that ACA is income tested only. I predict politicos will get wise to the "millionaires who are getting subsidies" and end that - these subsidies/ discounts as they exist won't last long.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While one should never underestimate Politicians (and their utter lack of common sense), the cost of implementing, and maintaining, the infrastructure to administer an asset test for ACA would cost far more than the savings resulting from "weeding" out of low income, high asset individuals receiving subsidies.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Agree asset testing is harder to do but many programs do have asset testing. Some even have look back rules -- in fact many state and federal benefits are means tested based on assets not income - for example - Medicaid, SNAP (food stamps), section 8 housing, federal Education financial aid , all are asset/means tested not just income tested. It's strange that ACA is income tested only. I predict politicos will get wise to the "millionaires who are getting subsidies" and end that - these subsidies/ discounts as they exist won't last long.
Define long. Historically it takes decades for these programs to change significantly. We may see some asset testing in 2030 or thereabouts.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I doubt we will see substantial changes to the ACA. [mod edit]
Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #47
Administrator

Thanks for an interesting discussion.

Closed Thread