Join Early Retirement Today

ACA Tax Penalty
Old 01-19-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ACA Tax Penalty

From Washington Post:
Quote:
Those Americans who didnít get health insurance last year could be in for a rude awakening when the IRS asks them to fork over their Obamacare penalty ó and it could be a lot more than the $95 many of them may be expecting.

The Affordable Care Act requires those who didnít have insurance last year and didnít qualify for one of the exemptions to pay a tax penalty, which was widely cited as $95 the first year. But the $95 is actually a minimum, and middle- and upper-income families will actually end up paying 1 percent of their household income as their penalty.

TurboTax, an online tax service, estimated that the average penalty for lacking health insurance in 2014 will be $301.Obamacare penalty may come as shock at tax time - Washington Times
Thismay have been posted... didn't see it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #2

Still, for a lot of people, even a $300 fine is a lot better deal than $1200 a month. They can still do what they've always done: go to the ER if they have to and if they're fairly healthy otherwise, come out ahead.

Personally I have, like and NEED health insurance, but if I was 28 y.o. and was just above the subsidy cliff, I'd really, really think about just paying the fine.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #3

The problem with going to the ER is that any assets you have are subject to "collection." You can't just go there, get treatment and say "bye." They will come after you so it's only viable for people that are truly without assets or jobs.

The problem I see is that many people, even with their subsidies, do not want to divert the cash needed to pay their portion of the premium or copays required from where its currently going. This could be anything from their essential I-phone 6 or their utilities. I'm not in a position to generalize but other expenses are more important in their minds.

These penalties will continue to grow. This year's impact will be a wake up call but most will just grumble.

The primary beneficiaries of the ACA are members of this forum. Most of us consider heath insurance a necessity. We would buy it anyway. The ACA guarantees we can get a policy. Having assets doesn't keep us from getting the subsidy by controlling our taxable income. It encourages the potential early retiree with ample resources to retire earlier. It does very little for the people that don't have heath insurance as one of their priorities.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
The primary beneficiaries of the ACA are members of this forum.

Having assets doesn't keep us from getting the subsidy by controlling our taxable income. It encourages the potential early retiree with ample resources to retire earlier. It does very little for the people that don't have heath insurance as one of their priorities.
Eggs...actly!

As my accountant once told me: "The trick is to look like one of them on paper while being one of us" He was talking about taxes, but it applies here as well
Old 01-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree we benefit since they count income but not assets but worry how long that will last. LBYMers are an unprotected minority group and an easy target since we "don't really need the subsidy".

I disagree that we are the "primary beneficiaries of the ACA". I think that would be hospitals and insurance companies. I hear that the number of uninsured has dropped at most hospital emergency rooms in my state. I have yet to hear that hospital prices have dropped since they no longer have to write off those bills.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

What bothers me, is the PRESS, always emphasized the $95 penalty.

When it was well know, it was the HIGHER, $95 or 1%.

For 2015 tax year it worse. $325 or 2%, which ever is higher.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #7

No worries until 2017...
Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Still, for a lot of people, even a $300 fine is a lot better deal than $1200 a month. They can still do what they've always done: go to the ER if they have to and if they're fairly healthy otherwise, come out ahead.

Personally I have, like and NEED health insurance, but if I was 28 y.o. and was just above the subsidy cliff, I'd really, really think about just paying the fine.

Actually from my understanding is you don't even need to pay the fine.

Just make sure your withholding is slightly less than the taxes you owe, and then pay the additional taxes, come April, but don't pay the fine.

Personally I wouldn't do that but it appears that IRS is not allowed to garnish wages or attach bank accounts to collect unpaid ACA fines.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

A 28 year old can get a catastrophic plan for $140/mo, even if no subsidy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Actually from my understanding is you don't even need to pay the fine.

Just make sure your withholding is slightly less than the taxes you owe, and then pay the additional taxes, come April, but don't pay the fine.

Personally I wouldn't do that but it appears that IRS is not allowed to garnish wages or attach bank accounts to collect unpaid ACA fines.
Under current law, which could be changed in the future, you would need to do this every year until you die. The unpaid penalty/fine carries over from year to year with interest added.

http://americanactionforum.org/weekl...-aca-penalties
Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I hear that the number of uninsured has dropped at most hospital
emergency rooms in my state. I have yet to hear that hospital prices have
dropped since they no longer have to write off those bills.
Similarly, I have not noticed that the section on my recently paid Real Property tax annual bill under the heading of "Hospital District" any reduction in the amount that I am taxed. In fact, it has risen about 10%.

Thought that ACA was supposed to generate tax reductions in this area.

Guess I was wrong again.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Under current law, which could be changed in the future, you would need to do this every year until you die. The unpaid penalty/fine carries over from year to year with interest added.

Loophole Gives Uninsured Way Around ACA Penalties | Weekly Checkup | American Action Forum
I was curious about the unpaid interest and fine.. Good to know and I agree I doubt the current system will stay in place forever