ACA...TN vs FL residency?

hopeisnotaplan

Recycles dryer sheets
We split time between these two states and currently TN residents. In the not so distant future, we will lose medical coverage after recently joining the FIRE class of 2018. (I can stay on Cobra thru 2019 if it makes sense)

I have done some preliminary research on the available plans, cost, etc on possibly moving my primary residence to Florida. It seems for this particular matter with my projected MAGI, FL is the best option for coverage choices, cost and subsidies.

If anyone has more insight on this or maybe a few hints on things I should consider or research, I’d love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

I assume you are using Healthcare.gov and Healthsherpa.com for your research.
I have only "heard" that many parts of TENN doesn't have the greatest ACA rates.
In general, FLA has very good rates for ACA, especially net of tax subsidies. However even in FLA, there is a wide variety of rates. Thus you need to check by zip code specifically.

+1@check the zip code where you reside in Fl. Not all plans are available everywhere.

Given that, Florida BCBS offers the “Blue Options” plan, which is pricey but has “BlueCard” network, which is a broad, nation wide provider network.

+2 on checking the zip code. BCBS has their own site up already for browsing rates for 2019.

I can't speak to TN, but FL is generally interpreted as one of the more "secure" ACA states because of Florida Blue. They are profitable, and they offer a wide variety of metal plans.

+2 on checking the zip code. BCBS has their own site up already for browsing rates for 2019.

I can't speak to TN, but FL is generally interpreted as one of the more "secure" ACA states because of Florida Blue. They are profitable, and they offer a wide variety of metal plans.

Thanks...yes my limited research was using the zip codes for both houses on Sherpa.

I didn’t see that BCBS had the 2019 site up for browsing. I’ll check that out.

I wouldn't hesitate the move to Florida if you've got a residence down there. I know the Tennessee state income tax is winding down for out of state income, but the very wealthiest Tennessee residents with Florida homes have been filing their taxes in Florida for decades.

Back
Top Bottom