ACA TV advertising

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
They get insurance through their jobs like about 2/3 of American workers and because of that they aren't eligible to buy insurance through the exchanges. Currently, only individuals and small employers can purchase insurance through the exchanges.

They get insurance through their jobs like about 2/3 of American workers and because of that they aren't eligible to buy insurance through the exchanges. Currently, only individuals and small employers can purchase insurance through the exchanges.
All legal residents living in the US and not in jail can use the exchange to purchase health insurance. If they have affordable employer coverage they may not be eligible for a subsidy.

While doing so would be the height of foolishness, I understand that one could go direct to the insurance company and pay full rate (no subsidy) and decline employer coverage. The issue is that no subsidies are paid. So for the individuals involved here because they are above the 400% of poverty level, they could buy a package similar but not necessarily the same as the exchange. The media never point out that if you don't want or don't qualify for the subsidies you are free to buy the insurance from ehealthinsurance or the company directly.

Have also seen ex-NBA player Alonzo Mourning doing an ACA ad during the NCAA basketball broadcasts. I'm sure he's required to have insurance like everyone else and almost certain the NBA doesn't provide healthcare for veteran players. Considering the beating most pro athletes go through over a career they certainly need healthcare coverage. Read a story recently where ex-NBA player Adrian Dantley took a job ($14K/yr) as a school crossing guard just to get the health insurance.

Last edited:
While doing so would be the height of foolishness, I understand that one could go direct to the insurance company and pay full rate (no subsidy) and decline employer coverage. The issue is that no subsidies are paid. So for the individuals involved here because they are above the 400% of poverty level, they could buy a package similar but not necessarily the same as the exchange. The media never point out that if you don't want or don't qualify for the subsidies you are free to buy the insurance from ehealthinsurance or the company directly.

You are right, I'm wrong. However, if you qualify for SS, you are prohibited from using the exchanges. Those two guys have a way to go before they reach that point.

I think you intended to say Medicare instead of Social Security.

You are right, I'm wrong. However, if you qualify for SS, you are prohibited from using the exchanges. Those two guys have a way to go before they reach that point.

Assuming again no subsidy, and that you have 10 years of Ss credit at 65 you would be an absolute fool to decline part A of medicare since you have paid for it. I suspect that the insurance companies would also not offer a plan to a medicare eligible applicant because they know it would be a foolish thing to apply for.

I was kind of surprised that the ads don't clearly spell out the end of March deadline.

The great majority of those who don't have Obamacare have no real idea what it's about. I'm sure these celebrities are convinced that it's a great program and either do not understand or refuse to believe that there a significant problems associated with it. Even if they would normally vet a product before associating their name with it, the politics likely makes that unnecessary in their minds.

The great majority of those who don't have Obamacare have no real idea what it's about.

I'm pretty sure this applies to the great majority in all media who are talking about ObamaCare or the Affordable Care Act.

I know what it's about, how it works, and how to best apply it for me and my family, so I can safely ignore the Noisy Majority out there. :rolleyes:

The great majority of those who don't have Obamacare have no real idea what it's about. I'm sure these celebrities are convinced that it's a great program and either do not understand or refuse to believe that there a significant problems associated with it. Even if they would normally vet a product before associating their name with it, the politics likely makes that unnecessary in their minds.

The bottom line, IMO, is that they are trying to "sell" it to the 18-35 demographic; using athletes and young Hollywood stars makes that obvious. I can be cynical if I choose, but if it works and makes the whole program more sustainable, so be it, I guess.

I was kind of surprised that the ads don't clearly spell out the end of March deadline.
Lots of deadlines have been extended, many requirements have been delayed. The most recent announcements indicate this March 31 deadline might stay, but it is still over a week away so it's too early to know.

The whole process has been amazing. I had no idea that our system would accomodate so much flexibility in the implementation of legislation, but apparently it does.

Last edited:
samclem said:
The whole process has been just amazing.
I think it has mirrored the recent evolution of US politics fairly well. Not a pretty sight.

you are refering, I presume, to executive orders since I know they have been heavily discussed recently. Every president since Washington has issued executive orders; the current one is no where near the top of the list. Here's an article from Forbes that summarizes EOs by president:
When It Comes To Abuse Of Presidential Power, Obama Is A Mere Piker - Forbes
SCOTUS ruled that an executive order can only be for administrative purposes and not in creating laws. I believe much of the concern for executive orders is that some in congress (and public) feel that many of the recent EOs extend, amend or change the law. The answer, of course, is the slow resolution of any issues in the federal courts.

My employer would give me a raise equal to the cost of the health insurance and other benefits if I became a "contractor." I would be responsible for buying HI and my hourly rate would be increased to account for no more paid time off, HI, employer SS cost or 401k match. It's cheaper for me to stay on my current medical plan even though I am one of the older/not perfectly heathy.

All of the reports I've heard say the young invincibles aren't signing up in adequate numbers to balance the risk pool. The "affordable" isn't there for many of these individuals unless they get a substantial subsidy and even then there is a large amount of premium and deductible still to pay. If I was working a near minimum wage job and in my 20s, I don't know if I would think it was worth buying. Of course, I now run up regular serious health care bills and know "the big one" could happen any day. At the current exchange rates, I would definitely buy a policy if I didn't have employer coverage available.

you are refering, I presume, to executive orders since I know they have been heavily discussed recently. Every president since Washington has issued executive orders; the current one is no where near the top of the list. Here's an article from Forbes that summarizes EOs by president:
When It Comes To Abuse Of Presidential Power, Obama Is A Mere Piker - Forbes

No I was referring to the unwillingness of the two dominant parties to work together to solve the nation's problems. The aim of both sides seems to be to win at all costs, and if that isn't possible, then make sure that the other side loses too. Constituents? What constituents? Service? What does that mean? :facepalm:

Lots of deadlines have been extended, many requirements have been delayed. The most recent announcements indicate this March 31 deadline might stay, but it is still over a week away so it's too early to know.
And, on schedule, another change to a "we're not kidding!" deadline (link to Christian Science Monitor story):

The long-touted March 31 deadline to enroll in health coverage via the federal online marketplace is effectively gone, following a decision by the Obama administration to allow Americans more time to enroll. The decision, scheduled for announcement Wednesday, will give people until mid-April to sign up for insurance. All they need do is check off a box on HealthCare.gov indicating that they tried to enroll by March 31. The government will not check to see if people are telling the truth. The decision to allow more sign-up time was driven by an anticipated last-minute surge in enrollments, which could leave people unable to finish the process, The Washington Post reports.
President Obama has insisted repeatedly that the March 31 deadline would not slip. Insurance companies need to know soon who has enrolled, so they can set rates for 2015, administration officials say.

Back
Top Bottom