Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by 2B
Most people are not knowledgeable enough to question their doctor and the few that are generally won't. I suspect that people that can't afford the high deductibles and copays will decline services. Many of which will be needed.

I personally have a high deductible plan but I'm more interested in the PPO pricing for the medical costs. I'm amazed what the "list price" is for many of the procedures and office visits. It seems that a doctor or hospital should be happy to give people the most favorable prices up front if the person is paying at the time of service.

DW and I met our deductible this year for the first time in whenever. We did have his and hers colonoscopies which definitely pushed us to the limits.
There hasn't been much talk yet of patients rejecting treatment due to high deductibles. But I believe that it's going to be significant. I think we all assumed that the ACA was somewhat thought out prior to passage. Whether you're for it or against it, it's definitely a total wing job.

Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
There hasn't been much talk yet of patients rejecting treatment due to high deductibles. But I believe that it's going to be significant. I think we all assumed that the ACA was somewhat thought out prior to passage. Whether you're for it or against it, it's definitely a total wing job.
It's not that I'm not for the concept of the ACA. I have always been concerned by what I have seen as the obvious (to me anyway) "unintended consequences" that are now being revealed.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Please, an explanation or snippet so members know what the link leads to.
Apologies, thought the link title was fairly self explanatory.
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets
After reading a lot of the comments, I had calmed down a bit on the doctor thing, THEN, went to another doctor - a General Practitioner who told me the same thing, and even added some more. This one said something to the effect that the new exchange stuff was about a large check being written to cover the health care, and that the doctors and hospitals were fighting about who controlled that check, and which one was going to be doing the distribution to the others. Apparently the doctors thought they were losing, so they have decided to not participate in the exchange insurance deal. She was pretty adamant about it, and said she had already elected not to participate. Now I'm worried again. Seems there is more to this story then has been told, just like the lie about "You can keep your present insurance". Just saying that IF this is true, and IF it continues, the ACA may prove to affordable, cause there are only a few, presumably cheap doctors willing to take it, and we all know what will happen with huge demand and few suppliers - Canada style of insurance where you wait for years to get procedures done.
Mens ability to see the future is limited by their horizons of today!
whitestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
When looking at whether profits are excessive (or not) you really need to look at returns rather than absolute numbers. Laymen and politicians often seem outraged that a company or industry makes billions but totally fail to consider the investments that need to be made to generate those earnings...
At a past megacorp, there was a lot of email circulating within the group regarding politics, just as happened elsewhere I am sure. There was a fellow who was indignant at the billions of profit that Exxon Mobil made. Though I was no advocate of XOM, I had to point out that that profit was made on a huge sale of X billions, and that XOM was a huge company with Y employees. I suggested that he also looked at a well-known high-tech company to see its higher profit margin and also the higher revenue number per employee. Why should he not express indignation at the high cost of the software products of this company?

Well, if a PhD in engineering could make that mistake, what can we expect from a common man in the street?

NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote