Join Early Retirement Today

Accident uncovers health issues and more
Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Accident uncovers health issues and more

My SO, age 56 and I were driving down the local road when out of nowhere he blacked out and drove into oncoming traffic. We narrowly avoided a car but hit a ravine and finally a telephone pole stopped us. He didn't regain consciousness until that point. Both banged up but lucky to be alive. Going through hundreds of tests. While the wreck was frightening, now we face medical issues and perhaps a forced ER for him when I was the one who was looking forward to possible ER. Things change on a dime. I will likely be asking for insight from this group as time goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #2

Yow, scary! The first thing that pops into mind is that depending on the medical test results he may have to stop driving. That alone may force ER if he has to drive for his job.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes exactly. He and his brother operate a medium size excavating/trucking company. CDL a must. He cannot drive for 6 months no matter what the outcome. There are many facets to this problem. Firstly he is in complete denial. Thinks he can do anything. Secondly he is in the process of a buyout from brother which requires him to work in order to maintain health insurance. He is a stubborn farmer whose money is in land and his business. I cannot even begin to unravel this mess.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prose3589 View Post
Yes exactly. He and his brother operate a medium size excavating/trucking company. CDL a must.
Ouch. Even if medical clears him the insurance company might drop him anyway if they learn about the cause of the car accident. Or at least require more medical certification, and one can't blame them for that.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay...
This is one I can relate to directly... not as a medical opinion or to even suggest what might have happened, or what may happen... just a true story of a scary time in my life. It was four years after we had retired at age 53, because of a cancer scare.

My best friend was in the front seat with me, with our wives in the back seat... coming back from a day at Daytona Beach swimming, body boarding and relaxing. I was driving. Until then, never a serious health issue of any kind. Age 57.

No warning. No pain. I woke up with my friend shaking me... I had blacked out while driving, and we had all been talking right up until that time. They tell me they were wondering why the car had slowed down... right in the middle of the outside lane. My friend held the steering wheel, and kicked my foot off the gas, then took about a minute or so to try and wake me up.

He drove us to the hospital... where I went in for tests that showed no abnormal results, but scheduled me for many tests over the next two weeks... blood, stress, Holter Harness, MRI, sleep deprivation and some others that I can't remember. Nothing.

Final result... the experts said "sometimes it just happens".

When this blackout happened, it was after we had retired... earlier than we had wanted or expected. In a way, we dodged the bullet twice.

That was then... this is now... 25 years after retiring... not rich, but okay financially, and still enjoying and appreciating life.

We adjust... how we adjust depends on attitude. The glass is half full and there's lots more where that came from.

Best wishes for a good outcome.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Imoldernu- thank you. Your situation is eerily similar to ours. In fact same tests in the works. Your posts have been very helpful to me in the past and this one most of all. Attitude is everything. We are lucky to be alive and ultimately we will sort out the rest. We are blessed to have successful businesses and family. On to the next unplanned chapter...