Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

UPDATE

My Nobel-prize-worthy trick of neutralizing drinks doesn't seem to work that well.

I had another idea: I shouldn't take baking soda during/after a meal, because I'm pretty upright after meals. I should take it just before going to bed—that's when the stomach contents go where they shouldn't.

Well, that idea didn't work especially well either.

Perhaps any use of sodium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate leads to some rebound acidity in the stomach.

The only thing that seems to work is either abstaining from all the good things (coffee, beer, soda), or decreasing the volume of the drink. That is, if I only have three fluid ounces of coffee with breakfast, that seems to help. Also, I suspect that even the neutral Peet's coffee is a problem.

Still doing more experiments.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

My husband keeps a bottle of baking soda in the bedroom so he can reach it as needed. He also keeps them in the car. Sometimes he has to sit up for a few hours in the middle of the night.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Wow, interesting that you mention that. When we were visiting our daughter in Denver for a few weeks, the LPR wasn't as bad. I've been wondering what was different there. Altitude, humidity, meals, no recliner?
Consider possible emotional basis of LPR and your state in the different locations?

Wondering what would happen if I snuck some legal weed in my wife’s smoothy ; - )
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had acid reflux on and off over many years. Here is my anecdotal story. Perhaps it can be helpful.

Started eating low carb to avoid diabetes 2 which many family members have gotten. A few weeks in I realized my acid reflux and other digestion issues were gone! Great!

Years later I pointed my finger at bread and other wheat based foods. Experimented with bread on and off. Doc's tests did not find any celiac disease. But avoiding bread like you do on low carb or keto diets still works for me.

Recently read this article about people thinking they were gluten intolerant when the real problem often was Fructan found in wheat and other foods.

https://draxe.com/fructans-fructan-intolerance/

Scanning the list of what to avoid I found several aha! and whao! moments. My digestion system does not like wheat. My brother can't eat onions. And my dad avoid both cabbage and onions. And while not eating bread works for me I still get the occasional flare up. Especially when I started to use almond flour in many of my recipes. Aha!

The article mentions a time consuming FODMAP ellimination regime one can follow to find out more. But I have not tried the 8 week test yet.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

My wife had the hiatal hernia surgery by laparoscope three weeks ago, and she came out of the surgery very well. While she's not yet eating steak, she's eating most anything else, including ice cream which triggered her reflux.

This is a surgery that many physicians don't understand or suggest. But it's because they are ignorant on the technique.

She's getting better every day, and is very satisfied she had the surgery. She's yet to have any reflux of any kind that previously absolutely scared her to death. If she doesn't ever have to go through reflux caused pneumonia again, this surgery could be a lifesaver for her. If you have reflux, be sure to go to a really good endodontist.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My wife had the hiatal hernia surgery by laparoscope three weeks ago, and she came out of the surgery very well. While she's not yet eating steak, she's eating most anything else, including ice cream which triggered her reflux.

This is a surgery that many physicians don't understand or suggest. But it's because they are ignorant on the technique.

She's getting better every day, and is very satisfied she had the surgery. She's yet to have any reflux of any kind that previously absolutely scared her to death. If she doesn't ever have to go through reflux caused pneumonia again, this surgery could be a lifesaver for her. If you have reflux, be sure to go to a really good endodontist.
Bamaman, how big was the hiatal hernia? My husband had an endoscopy yesterday in Atlanta by a former Mayo Clinic surgeon. He said DH's hernia was very small. We'll meet with him in a week or two after he compiles data from the Bravo ph test, but I'm wondering if surgery might be recommended for a such a small hiatal hernia.
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
If you have reflux, be sure to go to a really good endodontist.
I think you mean gastroenterologist. An endodontist is someone who does root canals.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #128
gone traveling

Quote:

If you have reflux, be sure to go to a really good endodontist.
It's probably true that many endodontists are ignorant regarding laparoscopic hiatal hernia surgery.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

I think experimenting with diet changes is worth a trial. I was on all the meds for heartburn and acid reflux; elevated head of bed, etc...Eliminated all meat and dairy and within 3 weeks all was resolved. Six years later, drinking coffee, tea, alcohol but no meat or dairy and no recurrence.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:06 PM   #130

This is getting to be a pretty lengthy thread, so forgive me if this post is repetitious. (in fact, I may have written a similar post in this thread myself! Blame it on long-term memory loss).

I recall a gastroenterologist on The People's Pharmacy (a public radio show) blaming reflux on an overabundance of candida fungus in the gut. The Candida feast on carbs and produce gas, which backs up the digestive system and pushes acid into the esophagus as it gurgles upward. That was the theory, and it made sense to me.

I had a pretty severe reflux attack that got me started on generic Prilosec, but I hate taking the stuff. Now I mostly rely on a steady diet of probiotics and Rolaids, which contain magnesium and calcium rather than sodium. DW takes magnesium citrate tablets to reduce leg cramps; I pop one now and then myself. Mostly I lay off high-carb junk food. I do like an adult beverage, which also has not only carb content but also yeast.

I think if I were to seek a different metallic remedy to reflux, I'd go for milk of magnesia rather than bicarb. It's pretty unusual to have a dietary shortage of sodium, but high-protein diets can increase the body's demand for magnesium. And who among us is subsisting on a low-protein diet?

If I experience discomfort after a big meal, say, I may take a ranitidine tab. It seems to me to be less "systemic" than omeprazole.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

I'm trying something else that seems to be working. It's a system that's based on this hypothesis:

It's all about volume.

That is, for me, it's more about the volume in my stomach than the acidity. I suspected as much when I found that drinking 4 fl oz of wine caused fewer problems than drinking 12 fl oz of almond milk.

The thing I'm trying: I don't drink with meals. Not even water.

My research has shown me that water alone is cleared out of your stomach in 5-10 minutes. So, here's what I do to remain hydrated:

I wake up at 6 am. I immediately drink 10-12 fl oz of water. I don't eat anything for fifteen minutes, at which point my stomach is empty (it's even possible to hear the stomach emptying). My breakfast may consist of lo-carb nut granola in 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream. No coffee.

I then don't eat or drink anything for another hour or more.

I found that I can drink an entire 12 oz beer, but as long as I do in between meals, it doesn't cause problems. I assume that beer alone is emptied from the stomach as fast as water()

In a sense, the cure is worse than the disease, in that drinking with a meal is pleasant. I've long felt that it's not the cookie bite but the coffee after the bite that gives the most pleasure. I'm hoping I can add back the liquids.

I've had a few nights of zero coughing, which hasn't happened in years.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:53 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanstar View Post
I think experimenting with diet changes is worth a trial. I was on all the meds for heartburn and acid reflux; elevated head of bed, etc...Eliminated all meat and dairy and within 3 weeks all was resolved. Six years later, drinking coffee, tea, alcohol but no meat or dairy and no recurrence.
I'm almost out of my Lansoprazole (PPI) pills. My sister gave me a bunch of Omeprazole (PPI) pills since they upset her stomach. Maybe I'll just go off the PPI's again, and see what happens with dietary changes. But then I'd have to give up fun things like tomato sauce after 4 PM, beer or wine after 4 PM, etc. Bummer. I take one 15 mg Lanso pill every other day, which is a very low dose for a PPI, and it has been wonderful in allowing me to go wild with the food and beverages. Hmmmm...
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

You could try an elimination diet to see if you are allergic to something specific that is causing acid reflux. I did an elimination diet and learned that I am allergic to caffeine (not coffee, not the acidity). I switched to decaf coffee years ago, and my reoccurring, daily acid reflux issues disappeared.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

UPDATE: Fooled Again.

My latest conclusion shows how experiments can fail (or be misinterpreted).

On Easter, I was tired of small meals with no drinks. We had roast leg of lamb with tons of garlic embedded in it. I had a generous portion along with this incredible side dish. I also drank three glasses of wine. I thought my LPR would go ballistic, but that night it wasn't bad at all.

WTH?

I figured this out:

In addition to not drinking with meals, I also haven't been drinking any water after 7:30 PM. And that may be the important factor.

I discovered this, because a few nights ago I was thirsty while falling asleep. My LPR was good—very little coughing. I reached over and took two sips from my water bottle. Minutes later, I was coughing pretty badly.

Perhaps with those sips, the lower esophageal sphincter opens to let the water into the stomach, but doesn't close well, letting stomach acid up the esophagus??
Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

UPDATE: Wedge Pillow Solves It

I've now been using a wedge pillow for two weeks, and I can say that it essentially solves the problem. That is, with the wedge pillow, instead of coughing and clearing my throat from ten minutes to an hour, I only have to cough or clear my throat a few times, if at all.

This is the one I bought:

I also raised the head of the bed by 3.25 inches.

Note that the wedge is memory foam and very comfortable. I do slide down a bit during the night, but I was surprised that I didn't have to get used to the new sleeping position.

My shoulder sinks in a bit, so my upper body isn't raised up as much as you might think, but apparently it's enough to do the trick.

Being memory foam, it's very warm—sometimes too warm.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

I have found that sometimes, 30-60 minutes after eating, I will start coughing and clearing my throat—sitting at the computer, for example. For that, I chew gum, which gives me instant relief.

My hope is that by preventing the irritation of my laryngopharynx with the pillow and the gum, some healing will happen. Anyone know if that's the case?

I'm guessing the underlying problem, the poor performance of the lower esophageal sphincter, will not get any better.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

then how to explain that if I wake up with reflux, I can drink a bunch of water and quiet it down again? Figured I was diluting the reflux and also washing it back down where it belonged.

I don't think there is very much rhyme or reason to acid reflux. It falls under the umbrella of APOGOD, "All Part Of Getting Older, Dear."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
UPDATE: Fooled Again.

My latest conclusion shows how experiments can fail (or be misinterpreted).

On Easter, I was tired of small meals with no drinks. We had roast leg of lamb with tons of garlic embedded in it. I had a generous portion along with this incredible side dish. I also drank three glasses of wine. I thought my LPR would go ballistic, but that night it wasn't bad at all.

WTH?

I figured this out:

In addition to not drinking with meals, I also haven't been drinking any water after 7:30 PM. And that may be the important factor.

I discovered this, because a few nights ago I was thirsty while falling asleep. My LPR was good—very little coughing. I reached over and took two sips from my water bottle. Minutes later, I was coughing pretty badly.

Perhaps with those sips, the lower esophageal sphincter opens to let the water into the stomach, but doesn't close well, letting stomach acid up the esophagus??
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

After my wife recovered from her hiatal hernia surgery, she's able to eat just about everything. She is just worry she fought having surgery, and didn't get the procedure done by laparoscopy 10 years ago. She's suffered enough.

Now she doesn't have to sleep in a hospital type bed, and can eat ice cream before bedtime.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Bamaman, my husband has a very small hiatal hernia. The doc who did the endoscopy said they are very common in folks over 60 and won't do surgery on it. I guess they have to be a certain size to require surgery?
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #140
Dryer sheet aficionado

sounds like you need a ppi (protein pump inhibitor). omeprazole an otc any drug store is a good cheap one. take it for a week and then stop. you may have to see a G I dr. if it keeps on. the acid reflux can lead to barretts disease which can lead to esphogeal cancer. So if heart burn ie reflux persist, see a gi dr.
tango2 is offline   Reply With Quote