Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll modulate my AGI to come in around $42k for our family of 5, so I expect my insurance to cost around $125/mo like it does this year (with a $909 subsidy in 2016). All insurers are withdrawing from the Marketplace except BCBS so I expect my unsubsidized premium will go up significantly from the $1,034 it is right now.

We currently enjoy a $0 deductible, $500 max OOP policy, and I think it'll get slightly worse once we're on BCBS's plan next year. They still don't have premium info at healthcare.gov from what I see, so I'll have to report back later with specifics.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
...They still don't have premium info at healthcare.gov from what I see, so I'll have to report back later with specifics.
If you surf around at your state insurance department website you should be able to find info on 2017 increases... or just wait a couple weeks until open enrollment begins.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I looked briefly just now at our BCBS silver plan subsidized with cost sharing and note that it is going up about 2%.

I did note that the cost sharing cliff is pretty steep (nobody talks about the cost sharing cliff). If you put in 24,000 MAGI for a married couple, the plan has a $1000 individual $2000 family deductible and if you put in 23,000 MAGI the same plan has a $250 individual $500 family deductible.

So make $1000 more and pay at least $1500 more for insurance.

MAGI management should be taught in college now.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #24

My current plan will be up nearly 19% but my employer is paying 95% of the cost of this particular plan, so my share is going from about $50 a month to nearly $60 a month for the two of us. Of course, deductibles and OOP maximums are also going up quite a bit. But given that this plan costs us $1500 less per year than almost any other plan and it provides $2400 in an HRA every year that more than covers all expenses in a typical year, I can afford to self-insure for the higher deductible.

In the FEHB program it looks like the HDHP and CDHP plans are seeing double digit percentage increases almost across the board, whereas the traditional PPO plans (which tend to be costlier) are seeing more moderate increases.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #25

The full cost of DH's retiree insurance for 2017 is $1067 for each of us, total of $2134. This is an increase of 10% over 2016 prices.

DH would receive an allowance dropping his cost to $155 and my small allowance would drop my cost to $845, for a total premium cost for us of $1000/mo. Our total for 2016 was $665 so this would be an increase of 50%.

The cost to us increased far more than the 10% premium increase because the retirement system is eliminating the spousal allowance over 3 years and 2017 is the final year for anything for the spouses.

The retiree plan is $1000 deductible and then 75% co-insurance up to an Out of Pocket limit of $3900 that does not include the deductible. So Max Out Of Pocket is $4900 per person.

The cost of the retiree insurance is far beyond what we could afford on DH's pension so we have been using ObamaCare since 2014. For the first 2 years we had HDHP bronze plans and this year we had a bronze plan that was not HDHP because all the HDHP plans were so much more expensive than non HDHP plans. Yeah, that didn't make sense to me, either!

I've been checking to see if HealthCare.gov is allowing previews yet and so far it's not. Last year the preview option showed up around October 25th.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post
.. But I hate throwing good $$$$ at these insurance companies, then seldom see the benefit .....
I k ow what you're saying but I'm actually happy to never have to see the benefit.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #27

My subsidized cost looks like it will go from $198.29 to $219.66 per month - approximately 11% increase. Part of that is due to me being a year older, as someone pointed out above. Age 47 in Idaho with two dependents, SelectHealth Silver plan.

The unsubsidized cost went up more - my subsidy went from $394 this year to $564 next year.

Like FUEGO, I try to modulate my predicted AGI to just under 200% FPL to get CSR 87. I then modulate my actual AGI based on my tax situation at the end of the year. The two plans don't always match up, so I am waiting for someone in The System to point this out to me formally; until then I have good intentions.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I k ow what you're saying but I'm actually happy to never have to see the benefit.
When I was having a difficult time getting any health insurance, it was one of just a few things that didn't let me sleep at night. Providers, especially hospitals, can be real financial predators.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
In 2014 and 2015 we really used the insurance. In 2014 I had a hip replacement on a HDHP family plan with an aggregate deductible and in 2015 I had a bunch of expensive tests to rule out bladder cancer that was really kidney stones. So far (knock on wood) in 2016 we have really minimal expenses and with 2.5 months left I'm hoping we finish the year under $2000 in out of pocket costs. That includes dental visits and new glasses without dental or vision insurance.

It would be the first time in a long time that we had low medical expenses.

The trick to this new era of health insurance seems to be managing your MAGI income, if possible, and just not having bad stuff happen, health wise. Some of that you can control to a degree, some of it is part of aging and trying to stay healthy with whatever genetics you've been carrying around.

Some years it's a matter of maintaining, other years stuff breaks and sh*t happens! 2016 has been a good year for us but I always expect something will come up and we keep a good sized emergency fund for those years.

Back to the topic of costs for 2017, every year our Obamacare costs have increased and our coverage has decreased so I expect the same for 2017. We lost a chunk of subsidy in 2016 because the 2nd lowest cost silver plan basis was the same as the lowest cost silver plan, they were identical expect for the option of dental and vision so that skewed the benchmark for the subsidy. I finally got a complicated explanation for that and I hope it doesn't happen again for 2017.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
When I was having a difficult time getting any health insurance, it was one of just a few things that didn't let me sleep at night. Providers, especially hospitals, can be real financial predators.
Definitely. Not being able to get any health insurance would have made me sick (there's irony). My hope is to always have health insurance and never have to make a claim (see the benefit). My last premedicare premium fifteen months ago for myself through DH's unsubsidized retiree spousal benefit was $1100 a month--I hated paying the premium but was elated to have the insurance. And I would have been more elated to never have had to use it.

Now? Our rarely used Plan D fell by $1 for 2017. Not sure what our Medicare and Plan G might increase, but we're not changing them no matter whar.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #31

Ours went up about 10%. We're with Ohio BCBS.

It's an off exchange plan that has a high deductible with an HSA.

$542/month this year
$595/month next year

It covers me, DW and DS.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The great news is, dh's megacorp is continuing retiree benefits in 2017. The good news is, our premium did not change for next year. Our cost for medical (UHC), dental and vision will be $376 a month for both of us. However, the MOP increased from $8k to $10k.

But...I'm not complaining...far from it.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We're also on an employer retiree health plan. Our premium is increasing about 8%, which seems to be about standard. When I retired 10 years ago we were paying $589/mo for the two of us (Kaiser Permanente). Now we're paying $1221/month. So a 107% increase over 10 years. I also am glad I stayed a couple extra years to qualify for it.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:55 AM   #34

Anthem BCBS thru CoveredCalifornia going up 38% (unsubsidized) this year after 3% last year and 10% the year before for Platinum Plan PPO. PPO is converting to EPO, so I will be exploring my options. Seven years to Medicare (sigh).
Old 10-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #35

would you all reporting prices mind including an age range like 45-50 or 35-40 otherwise the comparisons don't meant much
Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #36

Expect continued future increases:

Quote:
According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, healthcare inflation is expected to average about 6% per year for the next decade, which will put even more of a cost burden on future retirees. As a result, total lifetime healthcare costs in retirement for a 55-year-old couple planning to retire in 10 years would be $463,849 in today's dollars. This is17.4% more than today's retirees can expect to pay, and this doesn't even include the extra 10 years of inflation.
Emphasis mine

Here's What the Typical American Retiree Spends on Healthcare -- The Motley Fool
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
would you all reporting prices mind including an age range like 45-50 or 35-40 otherwise the comparisons don't meant much
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Ours went up about 10%. We're with Ohio BCBS.

It's an off exchange plan that has a high deductible with an HSA.

$542/month this year
$595/month next year

It covers me (55) , DW (64) and DS (22).
-- added ages --
Old 10-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Pre-Medicare Retiree HMO plan from United Healthcare:

2015 Monthly Premium $972.34, Subsidy $261.08 Net Cost $711.26
2016 Monthly Premium $982.06, Subsidy $270.22 Net Cost $711.84
2017 Monthly Premium $994.30, Subsidy $270.22 Net Cost $724.08

I guess I can't complain about the increasing cost too much, as long as I am able to keep the Sutter Health entity (PAMF) I currently use.

Age 62 but the plan premium is not age dependent. The cohort is age 50 to 64. Not sure how many members of the cohort - maybe a couple of thousand?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Age 62 but the plan premium is not age dependent. The cohort is age 50 to 64. Not sure how many members of the cohort - maybe a couple of thousand?
Fascinating. In my state, every year of age difference causes a change in premiums for most of the plans I looked at. I would think that 50->64 would be an age band where the pricing differences would be something an insurance company would want to put in place, and I don't think the ACA law prohibits doing so.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

New York and Vermont are not age rated (essentially age rated at 1:1). Massachusetts is 2:1 and to my knowledge all other states are 3:1 which is the maximum allowed.

https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Programs-a...te-rating.html