Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Any other suggestions?
Take a look at Jolie Bookspan's suggestions:
The Fitness Fixer (Causes of disc and back pain)
The Fitness Fixer (Stretches for upper back & neck pain)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rich, Billy and Nords - thanks for the compassion and suggestions. Also, the link to a great web site. I'll let you know when things improve.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

acupuncture plus another resource for back pain

I've had quite a bit of experience with acupuncture and Chinese medicine generally over the past 10 years or so. Initially went for help with chronic neck and shoulder pain caused by years of typical job misuse/overuse (wearing my shoulders as ear ornaments due to stress while @ the computer - sound familiar?). Acupuncture and some Rolfing, even though both out-of-pocket, helped far more than many visits to the M.D.

A few years back I came down with Bell's Palsy while driving cross country. This is a pretty freaky ailment - instant partial paralysis of part of the face. Long story short 4-5 sessions of acupuncture and it was cured - no recurrence.

Anyway I'm a big believer in Chinese medicine from a competent practitioner as a complement to (a) self-care and taking responsibility for one's health; and (b) access to a good Western M.D. for acute ailments.

I've had back pain issues for years and have found regular yoga practice the most helpful in strengthening the weak core muscles that are at the root of much such pain. I recently found out a new DVD by Gary Kraftsow, a famous therapeutically oriented yoga teacher, who developed routines shown in trials by the National Institutes of Health to be the most effective in remedying an preventing back pain of anything they've studied so far.

The routines are on DVDs, and the good news is you only have to do 20-30 min. a day for them to be effective, so unlike a lot of prescribed physical activity I actually get around to doing it daily. Anyway, if interested the web site to check out is Welcome to Pranamaya, Inc. I've found the lower back DVD in particular to be worth its weight in gold.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #24

Well, I tried accupuncture for the first time yesterday.
Last September/October, I got Lyme disease. First symptom was back spasms. I got a prescription muscle relaxant (Flexeril), and also had a chiropractic adjustment and a massage. A couple days later I had a conclusive Lyme bulls-eye rash, as well as fever, joint pain, and general fatigue.

Anyhow, prior to the chiropractor visit and massage, my neck and right shoulder also locked up, and didn't loosen up with the relaxant. A few days later, things did loosen up, but my shoulder was slightly painful, and definitely wasn't working correctly.

Fast forward five months, my shoulder still hasn't been working right. There have been incremental improvements, but it still isn't right. The issue is Scapular Winging (Jon Warner, M.D.), where the scapula isn't being moved the right way due to a nerve issue, which causes a bunch of other things not to work right. I've been to a neurologist (EMG and a whole bunch of blood tests), and he just recommended waiting it out, that it'll probably come back on its own.

With nothing really to lose, I decided to try accupuncture. The guy I went to was recommended to me by my martial arts instructor, who had some success with treatments in the past. And one of my martial arts students is an ER doc who suggested that accupuncture might be worth a try as well.

I got six needles for sixteen minutes. Hard to tell if anything has really improved yet, but I'm scheduled for another treatment next week. There was definitely a sensation of something going on, and today my shoulder is more sore than normal. Range of motion and strength in my shoulder are relatively good today.

The entire concept of accupuncture still seems weird, but if it works, great.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Acupuncture safety?

Some years agoi I got acupuncture rx from a Koreansurgeon who had had some trouble with his hospital affiliations. I had developed a chronic respiratory problem like bronchitis. He cured me with one series of treatments.

This was in another city, but now I am looking for a acupuncturist to help me with a muskuloslelatel problem (groin pull).

How can I be sure that they use new sealed throwaway needles?

Ha
Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #26

Ha
Quote:
How can I be sure that they use new sealed throwaway needles?
Well, in my experience, I could hear the paper tear as they unwrapped each new needle. Then when they were taking them out, the needles were placed in a throw away bin...

I imagined that the needles were either sterilized for further use and re-wrapped, or thrown away. I guess if you find a reputable place that has been in business for years, that would be a good indication. The place I go is Family owned, and the Acupuncture biz has been handed down for generations. They have their reputation on the line. People talk, you know!

Best,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 03-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #27

Here is my umpteenth plug for a proceedure called "Prolotherapy".

Caring Medical - Symptoms - Back Pain

It is not acupuncture. It is a medically validated injection treatment that stimulates the body to strengthen ligaments and tendons that connect lower back vertabra. Not for every low back condition but definitely brought me back from the dead. Also solved my carpal tunnel, tennis elbow (actually windsurf elbow) and speeded up recovery from some separated ribs. Will work for any joint issue that requires strong ligaments-tendons. The world pretty much ignores it. Ashame.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Here is my umpteenth plug for a proceedure called "Prolotherapy".

Caring Medical - Symptoms - Back Pain

It is not acupuncture. It is a medically validated injection treatment that stimulates the body to strengthen ligaments and tendons that connect lower back vertabra. Not for every low back condition but definitely brought me back from the dead. Also solved my carpal tunnel, tennis elbow (actually windsurf elbow) and speeded up recovery from some separated ribs. Will work for any joint issue that requires strong ligaments-tendons. The world pretty much ignores it. Ashame.
Very interesting - thanks for posting the link.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried prolotherapy before acupunture. The injections were quite painful and I saw no real improvement in my pain level. Acupuncture works better for me.

Grumpy