Join Early Retirement Today

Adult Vaccinations
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Adult Vaccinations

I am a 40 year old male. I grew up in the USA and I believe that I received all of the standard vaccinations available at the time that I was an infant or child.

Aside from an annual flu shot, I have not received any other vaccinations as an adult. I have not received a tetanus vaccination since I was a teenager.

Can you let me know what vaccinations are recommended for someone my age. I travel, but I have not ventured into exotic lands. I do not work in a healthcare setting. I don't have any diagnosed chronic illnessses. I do not believe that I have had chicken pox before.

Thank you for your advice.
nico08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my husband mentioned to his doctor that he recently retired and that he was working around the house and enjoying his garden, the doctor recommended a tetanus shot. He probably had his last one as a kid so this sounded like a good idea.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter777 View Post
I am a 40 year old male. I grew up in the USA and I believe that I received all of the standard vaccinations available at the time that I was an infant or child.

Aside from an annual flu shot, I have not received any other vaccinations as an adult. I have not received a tetanus vaccination since I was a teenager.

Can you let me know what vaccinations are recommended for someone my age. I travel, but I have not ventured into exotic lands. I do not work in a healthcare setting. I don't have any diagnosed chronic illnessses. I do not believe that I have had chicken pox before.

Thank you for your advice.
My advice is to ask your doctor, and specifically to ask about chicken pox if you are not vaccinated and have never had it. I had chicken pox as a pre-schooler and it was no big deal. A co-worker of mine got it at age 30 or so, and was sick as a dog for two weeks. Catching it at age 40+ could be pretty serious.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ask your parents or older siblings if they remember your having chicken pox. You could have had a light case and not remember.

The MDs on the forum are the best source, however, I would ask my physician about the chicken pox vaccine. If you get it at your age you could get VERY sick.

Tetanus is an absolute must.

Write down the dates of all your vaccinations on a card and carry it in your wallet. Also keep this list at home for future reference. Those international vaccine booklets are handy even today.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Tetanus is an absolute must.
Agreed, and get it redone every 10 years. Shingles vaccination and Pneumonia at age 65 or so are advised as a once in a lifetime hit.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Let me google that for you...

Vaccines: Recs/Schedules/Adult Schedule main page
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote