Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Advance in Alzheimer's research
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Administrator

Advance in Alzheimer's research

News about research advances in Alzheimer's disease diagnosis and treatment.
Case Western Reserve University researchers use skin cancer drug to reverse Alzheimer's symptoms in mice | cleveland.com

Quote:
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Case Western Reserve University researchers have found what may be a new treatment for early-stage Alzheimer's disease.The drug rapidly clears out the sticky plaques that build up in the brains of those with the disease and improves memory and thinking.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good news, because my mice have been acting strangely of late...

Both of my grandmothers spent their last years in a nursing home, not recognizing much of anyone...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saw the news posting. Seems like a good line to peruse. When people get desperate enough it may be worth trying. My MIL has vascular dementia and it functionally seems a lot like Alzheimers but this treatment would probably not help since she doesn't have the plaque, just the memory loss.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Saw the news posting. Seems like a good line to peruse. When people get desperate enough it may be worth trying. My MIL has vascular dementia and it functionally seems a lot like Alzheimers but this treatment would probably not help since she doesn't have the plaque, just the memory loss.
My Dad also had vascular dematia late in life. When any of his sons would visit, he'd say how ya doing my man? Feeling good ol' buddy? I thought it was a pretty clever attempt to mask his deficit.

Ha
Old 02-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Both my parents had vascular dementia, so this subject is of interest to me. Hopefully they'll be able to develop it into a useful treatment for people.

I've been forgetting things a little more than normal lately and even asked my doctor about it. He gave me a brief test for early-onset Alzheimers, which I did OK on. Then went home and found an online test, which I aced. I'm not as concerned now, but give me another 20 or 30 years, and I'll be hoping they have this drug ready just in case.

I'm not sure where I found out about the above Alzheimer's test; I may even have got it from these forums.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm not as concerned now, but give me another 20 or 30 years, and I'll be hoping they have this drug ready just in case.
I'm not sure where I found out about the above Alzheimer's test; I may even have got it from these forums.
Spouse gives me regular Alzheimer's spelling quizzes (to spell words backwards).

She says that I should get in as much practice as possible now because after I turn 60 she's going to start administering the quizzes with live ammunition...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
She says that I should get in as much practice as possible now because after I turn 60 she's going to start administering the quizzes with live ammunition...
Now that's what they call tough love. Just make sure you give her the quizzes too, as people with Alzheimer's aren't safe with firearms

Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Lena's dad in Sweden just turned 86. She spoke with him on the phone and asked how the party was. He said "No, the path is tonight.". But it wasn't, it was last night and he had forgotten it.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I fear Alzheimers about as much as heart disease and cancer. It runs in my family - both sides. Seems like my memory is slipping sometimes - especially forgetting names or even words. I could be in conversation with DW and say "I was printing that -what do you call it? - you know, on the paper - oh yeah, document". I've heard that can be a bad sign.

I took the test and it seemed quite simple to complete in very little time. I DO occasionally forget the date (never the day), but I chalk that up to being retired and NOT depending upon a calendar very much. If it weren't for the date at the bottom of my computer screen, I probably would not see the date more than once or twice a week. No need to. YMMV

I do hope there is help for this disease. It is extremely cruel - especially to caregivers.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a knowledgeable big pharma exec tell me that "If we had a dollar for every drug that worked in mice but did not work in clinical trials...."

Further confounded by the fact that these were mice specially bred to be susceptible to Alzheimer's.

Still, interesting result and maybe it will pan out. I see the company who owns the patent has no interest in funding clinical trials and that should tell you something. If nothing else, the research may offer insights into what sorts of molecules are effective.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Lena's dad in Sweden just turned 86. She spoke with him on the phone and asked how the party was. He said "No, the path is tonight.". But it wasn't, it was last night and he had forgotten it.
Is this the first time you've noticed this with Lena's father, or was there some previous warning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah, I fear Alzheimers about as much as heart disease and cancer. It runs in my family - both sides. Seems like my memory is slipping sometimes - especially forgetting names or even words. I could be in conversation with DW and say "I was printing that -what do you call it? - you know, on the paper - oh yeah, document". I've heard that can be a bad sign.

I took the test and it seemed quite simple to complete in very little time. I DO occasionally forget the date (never the day), but I chalk that up to being retired and NOT depending upon a calendar very much. If it weren't for the date at the bottom of my computer screen, I probably would not see the date more than once or twice a week. No need to. YMMV
You and I are in similar boats Koolau. Both my parents passed away as a result of vascular dementia so naturally, I'm a little concerned. I have senior moments too but then, I've always had bad recall and a certain amount of "fuzzy logic". I don't know whether this is a bad sign, or unrelated. The only question I had to think about for a little longer when I took the online test was the one that asked the date and like you, I put that down to not needing to know the date very often. Luckily, I figured it out from some appointment I'd had only a few days previously.

I also did a brief test in the doctor's office. There was one part of it that I flunked quite badly but I think he let it pass based on the fact that I hadn't properly understood his instructions. He had asked me to perform a number of simple procedures connected with the placement of his computer keyboard and a sheet of paper, and then asked me perform the same actions in reverse order. Based on the fact that I aced a longer test when I got home I tihnk I'm OK (for the time being at least).

Old 02-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Is this the first time you've noticed this with Lena's father, or was there some previous warning?
No, it's been happening gradually for years, but perhaps accelerating now.

Quote:
especially forgetting names or even words. I could be in conversation with DW and say "I was printing that -what do you call it? - you know, on the paper - oh yeah, document". I've heard that can be a bad sign.
I don't think you can use this kind of this as a reliable indicator of what's ahead for you. I do this stuff a lot, and sometimes even use a totally incorrect word, but I also remember that I've made similar mistakes when young.

Using my 68-year-old-sister and my mother's state when she was 92 as data points I think I know what's ahead for me. It's going to get worse, but it will be tolerable.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #13

I think (or at least hope) forgetting words and seldom used names is normal ageing. Both DW and I do that, sometimes rather badly. But if I get to the point where I can't pass that test Major Tom linked to, I better have my finances and life on a fairly automatic plan.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Article on Coconut Oil's seeming ability to halt and reverse (to a point) Alzheimer's Disease:
In the Land of Oz: The Latest Attack on Coconut Oil - Weston A Price Foundation
web_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Here's an article on B vitamins and Alzheimer's.

B-vitamin therapy looks promising for staving off Alzheimer’s disease | Dr Briffa's Blog - A Good Look at Good Health

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I expect to be infected by the Alzheimer's bug as my Mom had it for the final 5 years of her life. I don't worry about it and try to stay as fit as I can and eat in a relatively healthy manner that does not shun alcohol.

Since I am the keeper/manager of funds at our house, I can easily sweep all of my tax deferred-accounts into a single TR-type account that will make it easier for DW to manage if I am incapable.

What to heck, it's a plan.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #17

I've had alot of issues with not being able to find words and forgetting names / dates / where I put stuff / why I wanted into a room / why I walked out of room. I had a fairly extensive set of tests which indicated that I am actually above average for a 50 year old. If THIS is above average then Alzheimer's scares me even more than it did before. Along with going blind its my biggest health fear. I'm not really afraid of a disease that will kill me - its the "lingering" that I'm afraid of.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

I am planning to share a first person slide into dementia, but want to give it more thought before posting.
The problem, (and fear) is in receiving the positive diagnosis, as it will have so many potential negative effects on what has been a normal life.

Virtually all of the stories that we hear, or lives that we share with others, recount dementia in the later stages, but the most agonizing parts of the process (for the individual involved) are in the run up. The frustration of having friends and family members who refuse to believe it is happening is worse than sympathetic acceptance.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Even worse, IMHO, and probably more common than we like to think, is the patient who refuses to believe it is happening, and insists that everyone treat him/her as if everything is perfectly fine. Insists on continuing to drive, refuses to see a dr., gets nasty when the forgetfulness is noticed/commented upon, etc. A coworker is dealing with a grandfather who falls into this category. Grandpa will insist his hearing aids aren't working, grandson adjusts them, grandpa fiddles with them and 1 hour later says "This hearing aid isn't working." Has no memory of the previous complaint and resolution. But won't admit anything is amiss. Getting grandpa into the nursing home was a struggle, and now he is making himself so obnoxious that there is risk of his being thrown back onto the family.

Brave soul you are.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Virtually all of the stories that we hear, or lives that we share with others, recount dementia in the later stages, but the most agonizing parts of the process (for the individual involved) are in the run up. The frustration of having friends and family members who refuse to believe it is happening is worse than sympathetic acceptance.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

The research and discoveries are coming fast. I believe if we can get to more stem cell research and a better understanding of nutrition's role in helping slow or prevent disease I think we would be able to stave off this and other late life maladies.
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote