Adventures in Indiana State Fair Food 2011

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Adventures in Indiana State Fair Food 2011 | The Incidental Economist

The food covered in this enjoyable short piece:

Fresh Fried Fruit
The Doughnut Burger
The French Toast Burger (with syrup)
The Garbage Burger (with everything)
The Ice Cream Burger
Deep fried butter
Deep fried Oreos (My friend the surgeon calls the deep fried oreos “arterioscleroreos”, which is funny if you’re in the medical field)
Deep fried Reeses Peanut Butter Cup
Deep fried Snickers bar
Deep fried pizza balls (dual purpose: a meal or a snack)
The magic potato (They take an enormous potato and hook it onto this wonderful machine that pares it into one long, twisty strip of potato. Then they fry it, put it on a plate, and cover it it in nacho cheese. And, of course, bacon)

The comments in parentheses are the author's

And yet we still wonder why healthcare costs are so high and still growing.

Adventures in Indiana State Fair Food 2011 | The Incidental Economist

The food covered in this enjoyable short piece:

Fresh Fried Fruit
The Doughnut Burger
The French Toast Burger (with syrup)
The Garbage Burger (with everything)
The Ice Cream Burger
Deep fried butter
Deep fried Oreos (My friend the surgeon calls the deep fried oreos “arterioscleroreos”, which is funny if you’re in the medical field)
Deep fried Reeses Peanut Butter Cup
Deep fried Snickers bar
Deep fried pizza balls (dual purpose: a meal or a snack)
The magic potato (They take an enormous potato and hook it onto this wonderful machine that pares it into one long, twisty strip of potato. Then they fry it, put it on a plate, and cover it it in nacho cheese. And, of course, bacon)

The comments in parentheses are the author's

And yet we still wonder why healthcare costs are so high and still growing.

Wow! :( Just reading the list has made me sorta nauseous.

If one is determined to eat so much, I'd rather go out with a smile instead of eating deep fried junk food....

(P.S. - - love Joe's food, but sadly must not go there more than once a year).

If one is determined to eat so much, I'd rather go out with a smile instead of eating deep fried junk food....

(P.S. - - love Joe's food, but sadly must not go there more than once a year).

OMG! Well, that is something one wouldn't mind "to die trying"! ;) Nothing on there made me feel sick, well except home sick! :LOL:

Will check out Joe's when I visit New Orleans.

Queenie

I guess this isn't unique to the Texas state fair, then. Anything you can imagine -- if it *can* be deep fried, someone will deep fry it.

It's pretty much standard for any state fair. Indiana isn't a very inventive place...

I have never attended the Alabama State Fair, but the "menu" sounds pretty similar to what you could find at the North Carolina State Fair a few years ago. I remember, they also had an assortment of "exotic" meats you could sample like possum and whatnot.

I've often heard that Texas and Minnesota state fairs have the lock on the categories of deep-fried and/or "on a stick"

I've often heard that Texas and Minnesota state fairs have the lock on the categories of deep-fried and/or "on a stick"

Yea.... I think deep fried ice cream was started in Texas (at least that is what the news said when it came out)...

I did see where the big buy this past year was deep fried butter... Wow...

What! No deep fried Twinkies? DW enjoys them at the Rosholt Fair (Wis) every Labor Day. I enjoy the roast beef dinners served by real "church ladies." Roast beef to die for, creamy home made mashed potatoes, green beens that were still in the garden that morning, biscuits made from scratch, homemade pies, etc. Well worth the 200 mile drive from Chicago. Get in line early. Once they run out, you're out of luck!

Yea.... I think deep fried ice cream was started in Texas (at least that is what the news said when it came out)...
Maybe, but Alaska baked ice cream first... :cool::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom