Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Also, what about those injections? Some people say those do the tricks for years. Not sure what they consist of. I always imagine WD-40, but am guessing they are way more than that.
DW had WD-40* in her knee in 2005 and it has worked fantastically well. She was told it would probably need repeating every couple of years but so far so good.

It was a series of weekly injections that were very painful, especially the first one which consisted initially of withdrawing fluid from the knee cavity.

* it was actually synthetic synovial fluid
Quote:
Synvisc is a synthetic hyaluronic acid joint lubricant used to replace the synovial fluid of the knee. Synvisc became FDA-approved in 1997. Synvisc injections are approved for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee in those who have failed to respond to more conservative therapy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you remember the recommended dose?

I hate to take pills, but my hip pain has become annoying enough that I definitely would take it.

Ha
Ha, I don’t remember the recommended dose but I do recall the context of discussion quite well. He was answering my question about alternative medicine and joint disease, and described supplements and alternative treatments by breaking them down into two categories: anecdotal treatments that were untested and had no scientific support, and supplements and remedies derived from plants that were effective and had been subjected to research and scientific method. He used glucosamine as the example of a natural remedy that had undergone rigorous testing at Yale and elsewhere and was in their view an effective treatment for joint deterioration. He specifically said it rebuilt worn cartilage.

Mayo clinic says
Quote:
In most available studies, 500 milligrams of glucosamine sulfate has been taken by mouth as tablets or capsules three times daily for 30 to 90 days. Once daily dosing as 1.5 grams (1,500 milligrams) has also been used. Limited research has used 1,500 milligrams daily as a crystalline powder for oral solution or 500 milligrams of glucosamine hydrochloride three times daily. Dosing of 20 milligrams per kilogram of body weight daily has also been recommended in some publications. One study used a dose of 2,000 milligrams per day for 12 weeks.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The NIH NCAM web site describes GAIT:
Quote:
GAIT is the first large-scale, multicenter clinical trial in the United States to test the effects of the dietary supplements glucosamine hydrochloride (glucosamine) and sodium chondroitin sulfate (chondroitin sulfate) for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis.
Here is the summary of key results of the GAIT study:
Quote:
What were the key results of the study?

Researchers found that:
  • Participants taking the positive control, celecoxib, experienced statistically significant pain relief versus placebo—about 70 percent of those taking celecoxib had a 20 percent or greater reduction in pain versus about 60 percent for placebo.
  • Overall, there were no significant differences between the other treatments tested and placebo.
  • For a subset of participants with moderate-to-severe pain, glucosamine combined with chondroitin sulfate provided statistically significant pain relief compared with placebo—about 79 percent had a 20 percent or greater reduction in pain versus about 54 percent for placebo. According to the researchers, because of the small size of this subgroup these findings should be considered preliminary and need to be confirmed in further studies.
  • For participants in the mild pain subset, glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate together or alone did not provide statistically significant pain relief.
Questions and Answers: NIH Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT) [NCCAM Backgrounder]
Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #24

This is not a supplement, but I've read that strength training helps with pain... I would imagine you would need to do a targeted training specifically for hips... This may or may not have any effect on the arthritic progression itself; I haven't read anything about that yet...

Strength Training - Strength Training for People With Arthritis
Quote:
Tufts University completed a strength-training program with older men and women with moderate to severe knee osteoarthritis. Study results showed that strength training:
  • decreased pain by 43%
  • increased muscle strength
  • improved physical performance
  • improved signs and symptoms of the disease
  • decreased disability
Old 09-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Caf(fiend) ?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Our golden retriever has benefitted a great deal by taking glucosamine chondrotin even though our vet said there's no evidence that it works. I've taken the golden raisins soaked in gin; that seemed to work for several months but then I seemed to get immune to that. Now i'm taking 2 tablespoons of cherry juice in 8 oz. of water. That seems to be good for whatever ails you. Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #27

[QUOTE=tmm99;1110349]This is not a supplement, but I've read that strength training helps with pain... I would imagine you would need to do a targeted training specifically for hips... This may or may not have any effect on the arthritic progression itself; I haven't read anything about that yet...

Strength Training - Strength Training for People With Arthritis[/QUOT

Thank you for this.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
This is not a supplement, but I've read that strength training helps with pain... I would imagine you would need to do a targeted training specifically for hips... This may or may not have any effect on the arthritic progression itself; I haven't read anything about that yet...

Strength Training - Strength Training for People With Arthritis
When I stated above that DW had artificial synovial fluid injected into her knee in 2005, and was told that she needed it again in 2 years, she started doing serious weight training at the gym. Not only has that fixed her knee it has also done wonders for her bursitis of the hips which had been bothering her for years.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #29

Both DW and I take G&C 1500/1200 at least once per day and sometimes twice. We also take MSM 1000mg and vitamin E 400iu once per day. DW has knee problems from an old injury in middle school. She still runs, but her distance has come down significantly. I've only been running regularly for about 3 1/2 years, but I have a clicky left knee (particularly when I first get up in the morning).

I believe the G&C plus MSM and E are helping both of us. That said, I also believe that the more regular I am with running and other exercise, the less I have issues with my clicky knee. If I go too many days without a run and then go my regular distance, I'll hurt. If I overdo my distance for the week by more than 10-20%, I hurt. But believe it or not, I also seem to get stiff and sore if I have a busy week and end up sitting all week with no exercise (I don't usually let the "busy" excuse get in the way much these days...my health is more important than work).

So, I can't tell you for sure which is more beneficial...for me all of the above seems to be contributing.

R
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When I stated above that DW had artificial synovial fluid injected into her knee in 2005, and was told that she needed it again in 2 years, she started doing serious weight training at the gym. Not only has that fixed her knee it has also done wonders for her bursitis of the hips which had been bothering her for years.
Interesting.....my wife had it and figured it did nothing for her, and the surgeon who performed my arthroscopy, (a well thought of doctor in B.C.), although he had posters advertising it in his (shared) office, told me that he wouldn't recommend it because he didn't think it did much good.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Interesting.....my wife had it and figured it did nothing for her, and the surgeon who performed my arthroscopy, (a well thought of doctor in B.C.), although he had posters advertising it in his (shared) office, told me that he wouldn't recommend it because he didn't think it did much good.
Since DW immediately started serious weight training at the same time who can say whether it was the fluid that did the trick, or the pain of the injections that motivated her to do the weight training, which she still does at least once a week.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #32

I have early onset arthritis in both knees (at age 47) with very mild pain. Have been taking GC from Costco but am considering discontinuing as I'm not sure whether it's doing any good. Although my knee pain has gotten less, I think it has more to do with the fact that I used to sprint up stairs with no idea that it was arthritis that was causing the pain. Once the doctor informed me what was going on and told me to cut out the running upstairs routine, the pain became much less.

In my case, knowledge was power. I had no idea I was tearing up my knees by the way I was treating them. I might have been in my mid-40's but I was still in the 20-something mindset that my body was indestructible.

I sure miss sprinting up sets of stairs though
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I started taking the Costco G&C probably 10 years ago when I got arthritis in my knee and thumb. I found that it made a big difference for me - not immediately, but over time.

I then developed hip arthritis - went to physical therapy which made it much worse and ended up getting an injection 2 years ago. At that time, the doctor said not to let it get so bad next time, and he could do it again in 3 months if needed. Thank goodness, I'm still fine! It really did the trick.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannjen View Post
I then developed hip arthritis - went to physical therapy which made it much worse and ended up getting an injection 2 years ago. At that time, the doctor said not to let it get so bad next time, and he could do it again in 3 months if needed. Thank goodness, I'm still fine! It really did the trick.
An injection of what?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I was afraid someone would ask that! My memory is that it was cortisone with a short acting pain med. It was injected directly into the hip joint via live x-ray. The procedure was a little uncomfortable, but not that bad - and considering the results, well worth it!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

An orthopod told me the same thing and I took it faithfully. The pain in my knees didn't get better, but it didn't get any worse.

HOWEVER.... the thing that helped me most was MSM (which you can get in a combo with G&C). Wow, does that ever work!!!

I was incapacitated with plantar fasciitis as well as knee pain. My doc told me to use a wheelchair until the inflammation was down - he figured 3 to 6 months. I took MSM for 3 days and by then I felt so well that I started taking tap dance classes again. I've never looked back. At the first twinge of pain, I take MSM for a few days and I'm as good as new.

I even teach tap dancing now - as well as Polynesian dance. Thank heavens for MSM!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #37

Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I went to Costco today and picked up a bottle of the Costco G&C since they're running a sale on it right now. Most opinions are it takes 30+ days to get the full effect, so hopefully I'll notice an improvement.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I went to Costco today and picked up a bottle of the Costco G&C since they're running a sale on it right now. Most opinions are it takes 30+ days to get the full effect, so hopefully I'll notice an improvement.
Keep us posted on how they work for you, and I hope it does bring some relief to you.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Another dog story- We had a dog with one upright ear and one floppy ear that the vet said was due to thinner cartilege. We started feeding her Senior Dog Food around age 7 which contained G&C and a year or so later we noticed both ears were upright and stayed that way for the rest of her life. Not exactly a scientific study, but in her case I think it must have built cartilege, can't think of any other explanation. Jan
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Keep us posted on how they work for you, and I hope it does bring some relief to you.
It's been 2.5 weeks since I started. I've been spending the last 2 months scraping/painting the exterior of my 2 story house, most of the time I don't have problems doing this. Yesterday, I removed a big storm window of the 2nd story and moved around 11 bags of heavy sand before spending most of the day on the ladder. By 7pm, I couldn't put the ladder back in the garage, so I chained it up to my tree in the back yard. I ended up using a cane to walk around and I it was uncomfortable getting in/out of a chair. This morning, I can feel there's a small amount of discomfort, but it's much better after sleeping in bed overnight and I don't need the cane. I don't think this is a noticeable change from not taking the supplements, but it's still early.