Join Early Retirement Today

AFIB
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

AFIB

Without going in to detail here, it might be well to understand atrial fibrillation as a potential health concern... not just on the basis of of what we know today, but on the projections for a potential doubling of the number of persons affected... in just the coming 12 years.

Quote:
Atrial fibrillation is the most common sustained cardiac tachyarrhythmia encountered by clinicians worldwide. An estimated 2.7 to 6.1 million people in the United States have Atrial fibrillation with projections to reach nearly 12.1 million in 2030.
Atrial Fibrillation

Whether the warning is valid or not, the article is quite complete, as to the what's , where's and why's.

In my own case, it was first diagnosed in my late 70's, with no warning before, and more importantly, with no discernible symptoms at the time, and still, except for being able to hear the abnormal heartbeats with a stethoscope, otherwise, totally asymptomatic.

Attention to this health risk, has only grown slowly over the past years, but based on the projections, it might be well to understand, and be aware.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1
I've often mentioned on this forum about my elite level athlete brother.
He had been diagnosed with mild/intermittent AFIB in August of '16. His doctor suggested 'keeping an eye on it' for a few months.

Four weeks later he had a massive stroke which has left him fully disabled and unable to speak. It not only has changed his life but the entire family's as well.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
+1
I've often mentioned on this forum about my elite level athlete brother.
He had been diagnosed with mild/intermittent AFIB in August of '16. His doctor suggested 'keeping an eye on it' for a few months.

Four weeks later he had a massive stroke which has left him fully disabled and unable to speak. It not only has changed his life but the entire family's as well.
That is sad. It can be tough to even get diagnosed when its intermittent. Alan said it took 2 years to finally have his captured on an EKG and doctors won't do much until they do. My GP Dr said the same. You would have thought they would have started some meds for your brother even if was considered mild.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
That is sad. It can be tough to even get diagnosed when its intermittent. Alan said it took 2 years to finally have his captured on an EKG and doctors won't do much until they do. My GP Dr said the same. You would have thought they would have started some meds for your brother even if was considered mild.
Yeah. I don't know the details of what decisions were being made at that time; he was doing his own thing back then.

But thanks to his athleticism and athlete's mentality he's been able to recover considerably more than what they originally thought he would.

His journey has been quite amazing and inspiring.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Yeah. I don't know the details of what decisions were being made at that time; he was doing his own thing back then.

But thanks to his athleticism and athlete's mentality he's been able to recover considerably more than what they originally thought he would.

His journey has been quite amazing and inspiring.
From your other posts, it sounds like you are providing support on some level. We wish the best for your brother.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
From your other posts, it sounds like you are providing support on some level. We wish the best for your brother.
Thanks for the kind words. He's doing well and sloooowly improving.

He just instantly went from 63 years old to being a semi independent 84 year old (who can only communicate with gestures). He doesn't need a lot of help but needs a driver and someone to speak for him at doctors etc. (that's my job). I'm also now his guardian and manage his finances. Fortunately he lives just a block away.

He gets out every day for breakfast, lunch or dinner; he even hits golf balls 80 yards one handed. He walks with a cane and his biggest disability now is his inability to speak even though he's 99% cognizant (similar to an 84 year old)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i am really sorry to hear about your brother. DW was diagnosed the AFIB, underwent cardio-version, which (thank the Lord) was successful.
She is on Xarelto to minimize the possibility of stroke.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Our daughter had rheumatic fever as a child. As an adult, she didn't take care of herself and had an AFiB problem. After one fatal arrhythmia and no oxygen for 9 minutes, she had open heart surgery. She later didn't take her medicine as directed, she died of AFIB at age 50.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Marko, when a friend of mine couldn’t talk due to cancer surgery he carried around a tablet that he would type into and it talked for him. That would work if your brother can physically type. B, that’s sad about your daughter.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

There is a wide range or severity with Afib. My Aunt has a minor case and rarely has it impact her life in any noticeable way. She takes one script and has never needed a procedure. My Dad on the other hand had a severe case. He would have his heart race near or even over 200 bpm without even doing any physcial activity. He tried meds which didn't do much. He tried cardioversion where they stop your heart and 'reset' it. The first two times they did it it only worked for a few weeks then a few months. The third time they had a hard time getting his heart restarted so they decided that would be the last time they tried that procedure. Next they did cardio ablation where they burn parts of your heart hoping it will correct the rythme. That didn't work either. The next option was a pacemaker and that has finally helped a lot. He was 65 when it started and 68 when he had the pacemaker procedure.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Xarelto ... a good reason to hate the pharmaceutical industry.

That and Eliquis are the two drugs that are recommended for AFIB. Not to fix or cure, or even improve the problem... simply to avoid blood clots.

FYI... the average price is $525.00 for 30 tablets. That's about $6,300.00. per year. If you thought your plan D would reduce the price, better check it. The lowest price for most plans is about $5,000. Both drugs are about the same price.

When you start doing the numbers... 6,000,000 persons with AFIB... you can do the math. The patent for Xarelto doesn't expire until 2021, so no help for a while.

A side note for anyone who is facing these prices. The warnings about clots that could form without the preferred drugs are real, but diving into the medical risk for death from afib, tells a story that you won't hear from the industry. It come in the "risk percentage" part. I won't pretend to give medical advice, but you or a loved one is at risk, and the price would cause hardship, you might want to spend an hour or so becoming familiar with the subject.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Xarelto ... a good reason to hate the pharmaceutical industry.

That and Eliquis are the two drugs that are recommended for AFIB. Not to fix or cure, or even improve the problem... simply to avoid blood clots.

FYI... the average price is $525.00 for 30 tablets. That's about $6,300.00. per year. If you thought your plan D would reduce the price, better check it. The lowest price for most plans is about $5,000. Both drugs are about the same price.

We have plan D, and it costs about $ 45 for a 30 day supply. After falling into the doughnut hole, it went up to $150
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We have plan D, and it costs about $ 45 for a 30 day supply. After falling into the doughnut hole, it went up to $150
I'll go back and check. I stopped taking it because of the high price...
Thanks for the fact check...
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Okay... here's where i got the info...

https://www.goodrx.com/xarelto/medicare-coverage

Quote:
Xarelto
Rivaroxaban

Rivaroxaban (Xarelto) is an expensive drug used to treat blood clots in the lungs or in the veins. It is also used after knee or hip surgeries to prevent blood clots. It is also used to lower the chance of stroke in people with a medical condition called atrial fibrillation. There are currently no generic alternatives for Xarelto. It is covered by most Medicare and insurance plans, but some pharmacy coupons or cash prices may be lower. The lowest GoodRx price for the most common version of Xarelto is around $422.78, 18% off the average retail price of $521.76. Compare anticoagulants.
But then this.??

Quote:
Average Co-Pay for 30 tablets of Xarelto 20mg
Medicare Plan Name Average Co-Pay
Kaiser Permanente Medicare Plus Std w/Part D (AB) (Cost) $95
MedicareBlue Rx Standard (PDP) $72
SilverScript Plus (PDP) $36
Symphonix Value Rx (PDP) $31
Hmmm..I have United Healthcare... gotta go back... I stopped taking the Xarelto about 2 years ago, and went to baby aspirin, because of the high price.

so far, so good. AFIB has never bothered me at all. Just a scare from the doctor.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

The maker of Xarelto, Jansen,I believe has a program for us poor folk who can’t afford it. You can also use warfarin. It is cheap but more work to use.
Anyway,I wouldn’t recommend taking the blood clot threat lightly. There are affordable options.
I have had around 6 or 8 cardio versions & 2 ablations so far. Rhythm drugs & Xarleto currently. It is a pain in the butt. This could always be worse.

Merry Christmas
Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the coupon until I’ve met my deductible then it’s around $30 a month on my ACA policy. A person needs to explore all available options.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:47 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I am in the process of dealing with SVT (which includes Afib as a subset). I have an ablation scheduled for 12/21. No meds for me as a choice as I am not a fan of them.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
The maker of Xarelto, Jansen,I believe has a program for us poor folk who can’t afford it. You can also use warfarin. It is cheap but more work to use.
Anyway,I wouldn’t recommend taking the blood clot threat lightly. There are affordable options.
I have had around 6 or 8 cardio versions & 2 ablations so far. Rhythm drugs & Xarleto currently. It is a pain in the butt. This could always be worse.

Merry Christmas
Murf
Thanks... I'm going to back off what I was trying to say. Thing is, that the studies (and there are many in progress) offer different results, based of the patient's history. It takes some digging in to the medical acronyms to see how the these different kinds of AFIB determine the risk factors. Most of the studies involve 2 to 5 thousand patients, and the end results of some of the studies are vastly different.

In short, a medical study in progress. The ones that I was referring to were many, many pages long and involved much reference to the patient's history as opposed to those that were geared to the outcomes.

Sometimes, we're better off, not knowing.

The doctor (small letter) has left the building.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thanks... I'm going to back off what I was trying to say. Thing is, that the studies (and there are many in progress) offer different results, based of the patient's history. It takes some digging in to the medical acronyms to see how the these different kinds of AFIB determine the risk factors. Most of the studies involve 2 to 5 thousand patients, and the end results of some of the studies are vastly different.

In short, a medical study in progress. The ones that I was referring to were many, many pages long and involved much reference to the patient's history as opposed to those that were geared to the outcomes.

Sometimes, we're better off, not knowing.

The doctor (small letter) has left the building.

I hope you don’t think I’m disagreeing with you. I am not. It’s just that a clot kicked loose by AFIB is very dangerous as you know.
Merry Christmas
Murf
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi- My first post. I know I need to fill out a profile/intro and will do so soon.

IMO, if you have A Fib, it's better to know about it and manage/treat it than not (and just hope it doesn't lead to a stroke). One of the issues here is that A Fib may be intermittent. Also, how does one know that little flutter feeling was A Fib? Do you make a Dr appointment, show up and say "two weeks ago, I felt something funny in my chest"? The doc needs to actually observe it to diagnose.

My Mom (88) has A Fib. She's had a (successful, so far) cardioversion. Using this little gizmo (and an Ipad or smart phone), she can take her own EKG at home. She does so every morning before and after coffee as well as times she doesn't feel right. It's unfortunate she wasn't doing this over the past couple years-- she had a stroke last year and they can be caused by A Fib.

The software/app seems to give you 3 possible outcomes after the 30 second reading.
1. Possible A Fib-
2. Unclassified
3. Normal

I have zero personal interest in this company and I believe there are now other outfits making similar contraptions. I'll try to post a link, if not you can google "KARDIA".

https://www.alivecor.com/

You can get them through Amazon for around 100 bucks. Also, you don't have to buy the monitoring service. You will need a smartphone, ipad or something to receive the signal from the device. My Dad emails each EKG to their inbox after it's taken with a descriptive comment in the title. (ex...Morning Before Coffee Unclassified). If you keep the labeling consistent you can then search for a specific reading later.

I realize that a first post that mentions a product could raise some eyebrows. Here are a few articles I found on another website that's run by a cardiologist (of course everyone is a 6 ft 4, 190 lb cardiologist on the internet or something like that!!)

https://theskepticalcardiologist.com...ke-prevention/

https://theskepticalcardiologist.com...and-in-office/

I hope that is of some assistance and look forward to participating more on this board in the future.
Scusan is offline   Reply With Quote