Join Early Retirement Today

After Cobra premiums
Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

After Cobra premiums

My wife has just gotten over a years worth of treatment for breast cancer (she is currently cancer free). We are finally starting to think about earlier plans for ER again. If ER is June 2013, the plan is to use Cobra for 18 mos then, hopefully Obamacare gaurantees coverage for pre-existing conditions. From Jan 2014 to Jan 2022 when medicare kicks in, I am wondering what to budget for HI premiums. Turns out my current group carrier plans to NOT offer private insurance in California starting in Mar2013, and every other carrier requires detailed information that I don't want to give out at this time.

Both my wife and I are 55 (56 at ER). I think we are in reasonable shape for ER financially assuming "reasonable" HI premiums. My current carrier gave me a quote for about $900/mo for both of us and the same coverage during the Cobra years but refused to even guess for beyond that. But private insurance after CObra is scary to me. If HI is $3000/mo, I would think twice about ER.

Is anyone out there with a similar situation? Venture to guess at a good number for HI premiums, given our medical situatoin?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!
Hangingitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Try these:

National Health Reform Calculator
Health Reform Subsidy Calculator - Kaiser Health Reform

I think they will each show you estimated premiums as well as health insurance subsidies IF Obamacare remains in place.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangingitup View Post
My wife has just gotten over a years worth of treatment for breast cancer (she is currently cancer free). We are finally starting to think about earlier plans for ER again. If ER is June 2013, the plan is to use Cobra for 18 mos then, hopefully Obamacare gaurantees coverage for pre-existing conditions. From Jan 2014 to Jan 2022 when medicare kicks in, I am wondering what to budget for HI premiums. Turns out my current group carrier plans to NOT offer private insurance in California starting in Mar2013, and every other carrier requires detailed information that I don't want to give out at this time.

Both my wife and I are 55 (56 at ER). I think we are in reasonable shape for ER financially assuming "reasonable" HI premiums. My current carrier gave me a quote for about $900/mo for both of us and the same coverage during the Cobra years but refused to even guess for beyond that. But private insurance after CObra is scary to me. If HI is $3000/mo, I would think twice about ER.

Is anyone out there with a similar situation? Venture to guess at a good number for HI premiums, given our medical situatoin?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!
I would suggest waiting till Nov 7 and then re-think the decision. [Political Language Mod Edited]
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I smell BACON!!!
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I am in a similar situation, I think there is an insurance agent that specializes in CA health HI.
PM me for name and contact info.
Mp
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #6

Every state is different. I would imagine that being a cancer survivor is automatic disqualification. So you wouldn't be able to buy insurance at all. If you take COBRA and use it up you then qualify for HIPAA which may a state high risk pool or some other plan for HIPAA. See an agent in your state to get specifics.

If obama care stands you may have other options.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski
Try these:

National Health Reform Calculator
Health Reform Subsidy Calculator - Kaiser Health Reform

I think they will each show you estimated premiums as well as health insurance subsidies IF Obamacare remains in place.
Thanks, much appreciated pb4uski!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed
Yes, I am in a similar situation, I think there is an insurance agent that specializes in CA health HI.
Mp
Thanks disappointed! I guess I can't pm you until I am a "trusted member" but I appreciate the offer.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn
Every state is different. I would imagine that being a cancer survivor is automatic disqualification. So you wouldn't be able to buy insurance at all. If you take COBRA and use it up you then qualify for HIPAA which may a state high risk pool or some other plan for HIPAA. See an agent in your state to get specifics.

Thanks for the comments rbmrtn, in california, there is a program called PCIP, pre existing insurance program. It slows one to get insurance w pre existing conditions if one can prove they been rejected by other carriers and been wo insurance for 6 mos. Problem is that the program stops in Jan 2014 when Obama care is supposed to take effect.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks Disappointed, Not sure if i sent my reply properly, so in case I didn't, I guess I cannot send a pm until I am a "trusted member", thanks for the offer.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the comments rbmrtn, in california, there is a program called PCIP, pre existing insurance program. It slows one to get insurance w pre existing conditions if one can prove they been rejected by other carriers and been wo insurance for 6 mos. Problem is that the program stops in Jan 2014 when Obama care is supposed to take effect.
Hangitup, PCIP stops because it will be replaced by the state insurance exchange, where you are assured access to at least three plans and there is no exclusion due to preexisting conditions. The KFF link pb4uski provided will help you estimate the costs for those plans.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:

Assuming you go the HIPAA route, I would use 3X the standard policy rate as a estimate
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #13

Quote:
One advantage to using COBRA/HIPAA is you can go straight into the risk pool plan without going uncovered or proving denial.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Assuming you go the HIPAA route, I would use 3X the standard policy rate as a estimate
TJ
The cost may vary by state as well. When I looked at my state risk pool it was cheaper than what employer cost was paying for insurance, and thus cheaper than the COBRA coverage. It is not a "cadillac" plan by any means but it is available.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

The cost may vary by state as well. When I looked at my state risk pool it was cheaper than what employer cost was paying for insurance, and thus cheaper than the COBRA coverage. It is not a "cadillac" plan by any means but it is available.
I have not investigated the HIPAA route but will, excellent suggestions and thanks to you and all on this thread!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

You can check out CA HIPAA plans and rates at
HIPAA and Conversion Benefit Summaries, Rates and Health Plan Websites
Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed
Mp
Got your PM, thanks for the info!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd expect $800-1000/mo for a couple at your age under guaranteed-issue scenarios. Could be less if you qualify for a subsidy, which is not far fetched if you are retired.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
I'd expect $800-1000/mo for a couple at your age under guaranteed-issue scenarios. Could be less if you qualify for a subsidy, which is not far fetched if you are retired.
While I do not know the detail of the policy you mentioned, that seems to be reasonable for California. My PPO policy that covers my wife and me is a lot more expensive than that. I will be dealing with this in the next eight months.
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

This may not be the right place to post, but I am late to the Obamacare policys - so when I went in and did the two calculators, it comes out that we will be on Medicaid! I will be ER probably in January at 58 and plan to live off savings... and have minimal dividends as retirement funds are tax shielded 401k, Roth and flat out cash. So first few years will be drawing down cash, then minimal distributions from 401k. So is that right? That no matter how much I have in assets, we will be on Medicaid as we will have no earned income?? How can that be? Never even considered it and have budgeted $15,000 a year for HI. Just seems wrong, wrong, wrong
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote