Join Early Retirement Today

Alabama ACA Insurance Costs?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Alabama ACA Insurance Costs?

We are thinking of moving from Louisiana to Alabama next year. Will the ACA insurance cost any different from one state to the other?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It not only differs state to state, but within your own present state borders. There is no uniform pricing within each state. One way to get an approximate comparison is to go on to ehealthinsurance website and punch in a zip code of interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mulligan is right. Premium costs & features vary for each "region" (section of each sate).

Another option besides ehealthinsurance is to check Health section of Valuepenguin.com. At least for my region their info has been very accurate.

Frustratingly, the official Healthcare.gov website only provides a VERY rough estimate of premium costs unless you register and go most of the way through the insurance selection process. If you do this to get a quote only, you MUST stop before actually signing up for insurance. States with their own Exchange may operate differently.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can obtain fairly accurate premium costs on Healthcare.gov without registering by starting here: https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/
Old 04-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
You can obtain fairly accurate premium costs on Healthcare.gov without registering by starting here: https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/
+1

I will be retiring to AL and went to the link above and got a pretty quick quote for a particular provider and for my area of the state. The silver HDHP plan I priced was far better than the amount I had budgeted. I kept my higher budget figure nonetheless - if it were to be less that would be gravy.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out healthsherpa.com to start with, then go to the exchange.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Good to see this feature is finally working better. It was a flaky PITA when I tried using it in Jan while shopping for HI.