Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Alcohol and Women Study -- Men Too?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Alcohol and Women Study -- Men Too?

You may have seen this recently reported study:

More evidence links alcohol, cancer in women - Cancer- msnbc.com

which showed that women who drank more had more incidence of cancer.

The news media are reporting it as "here's important news for women" but I suspect the results are just as important for men.

We don't know that the extra alcohol caused the cancers (that is, it may be that the lifestyles of drinkers include something else that puts them at higher risk), but for someone who drinks more alcohol than he otherwise would because of its health benefits, it may be relevant.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We don't know that the extra alcohol caused the cancers (that is, it may be that the lifestyles of drinkers include something else that puts them at higher risk), but for someone who drinks more alcohol than he otherwise would because of its health benefits, it may be relevant.
FWIW, this appears to be what's called a case-control study. As far as study methods go, this is considered to be the weakest in terms of accuracy for lots of reasons, and is usually best considered as an interesting hypothesis generator. Many end up getting disregarded when more rigorous studies are done in follow-up.

I would advise anyone who drinks more than 2 drinks a day (maybe 3 for men) that there may be some increased risk of cancer, etc. that gradually increases with amount they drink. Beneath that level of alcohol intake, it is hard to see any increased risk in patients without predisposing conditions including recovering alcoholism, liver issues, gastritis, etc.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
FWIW, this appears to be what's called a case-control study. As far as study methods go, this is considered to be the weakest in terms of accuracy for lots of reasons, and is usually best considered as an interesting hypothesis generator. Many end up getting disregarded when more rigorous studies are done in follow-up.
So Rich, how about a double blind, randomized controlled trial? Could we get consent from Forum members? NIH funding?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
So Rich, how about a double blind, randomized controlled trial? Could we get consent from Forum members? NIH funding?
Great idea. You buyin'?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Only if I can be in the intervention group....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
how about a double blind, randomized controlled trial?
But you might be in the group that gets non-alcoholic beer and grape juice. For 17 years.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Women and alcohol are a dangerous combination...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Alcohol and Women Study: What - we get to study women? And we get to study alcohol too? Sign me up!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I prefer not to study women, but I'll have a JD on the rocks....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Alcohol and Women Study: What - we get to study women? And we get to study alcohol too? Sign me up!
Maybe we could get a federal grant to study the effects of alcohol on women? Wow, what a great job that would be!

I have to take this opportunity to say that I was for one day a professional drunk. The county wanted drunks for the academy class to practice DWI testing on, so a bunch of us were picked up at home, driven to the academy, fed snacks and the booze of our choice, given DWI testing by the recruits (I passed with flying colors) and then driven home. There I was, 3:00 in the afternoon, puking my guts out in the backyard.

The things one has to do in Public Service....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I have to take this opportunity to say that I was for one day a professional drunk. The county wanted drunks for the academy class to practice DWI testing on, so a bunch of us were picked up at home, driven to the academy, fed snacks and the booze of our choice, given DWI testing by the recruits (I passed with flying colors) and then driven home. There I was, 3:00 in the afternoon, puking my guts out in the backyard.

The things one has to do in Public Service....
Good gawd Walt, how much did you drink? When I did it, I was only allowed 3 beers and one mixed drink.....
Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Candy is dandy ...

But liquor is quicker!
ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote