Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...Now, if you frequently beat your kids, yelled at your wife, wrecked the car, and got fired from job after job for coming in to work late and drunk, then I'd think you might have a problem.
No. That's a violent drunk. A person is a drunkard if the last thing that passes his lips at night is a shot of alcohol, and the first thing he thinks of in the morning is a drink.

I do not know anybody like that in real life, but recall a movie called "Leaving Las Vegas" starring Nicolas Cage. The character in the movie was not violent.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

These statistics are staggering.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I just finished watching an episode of Drugs Inc (National Geographic) on Alaska. The show seemed to say that low availability of illegal drugs in the remote areas makes alcohol the drug of choice and it is widely abused. Many areas are dry (alcohol is illegal) but there are plenty of bootleggers to make it available. One guy was drinking hair spray because he couldn't get alcohol.
A guy told me that when Soviet soldiers got deprived of alcohol in war time, they smeared shoe polish on bread, let the liquid in the polish soaked into the bread, then scraped the polish off and ate the bread.

Just now recall this story, and check on the Web, and found this:
The ingredients for this drink are black shoe polish, a glass of water, and a slice of black bread. You take the black shoe polish, spread it on the slice of bread, then set it atop the glass of water so that it covers it up pretty well. Leave it sitting for a couple of hours while you try to pretend you’re not enduring the worst shakes ever. Then, when you can’t wait anymore, take the bread off the top and drink the poisoned water down. The fumes and toxins from the shoe polish, Russians learned, would be absorbed into the water enough to make it potent. Also, you could take the bread, scrape off the excess polish, and eat it, getting a major rush from the absorbed poisons.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I do not know anybody like that in real life, but recall a movie called "Leaving Las Vegas" starring Nicolas Cage. The character in the movie was not violent.
That was a sad (and hard to watch) movie... He was far beyond being a "mere" drunk--a suicidal person with alcohol as his weapon.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Time for some music.

House of the Rising Sun

My father was a gamblin' man
Down in New Orleans
Now the only thing a gambler needs
Is a suitcase and trunk
And the only time he's satisfied
Is when he's on a drunk

Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
.... A person is a drunkard if the last thing that passes his lips at night is a shot of alcohol, and the first thing he thinks of in the morning is a drink.

I do not know anybody like that in real life, .....
I did, it was a surprise to me that beer is breakfast food

He died of liver failure, after losing his employment and friends, all his money, and then losing his drinking buddies since he had no money to buy them drinks.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Second liver, he must have had a few years without drinking at all, if he was given a liver transplant. Normally continued alcohol consumption will keep someone off the transplant list. At least in the US anyway.
Yes, and also for a few years after his liver transplant he controlled it before he started up again with continuous drinking. Problem as I saw it was because his wife continued to drink heavily throughout it all.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I was thinking that maybe when they get drunk, they grab their guns and shoot each other dead for some stupid reason like "he looked at my woman" or "she bought everyone a hamburger except me".
Quote:
I have actually seen both of those reasons given for murders in recent news stories here in New Orleans. It's insane.
Yes, those reasons are insane. It would have been much more understandable for reasons like "he looked at my hamburger" or "she bought everyone a woman but me."