Join Early Retirement Today

Aluminum intake amounts
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Aluminum intake amounts

After doing a lot of research on aluminum while buying some new frying pans, I learned that humans supposedly consume quite a bit of aluminum typically. 10mg/day seems like a low consensus estimate from a few sources I've seen.

So I was just eating my salad and found some shavings from drilling holes in aluminum for a project. I wondered how many days worth of aluminum I had consumed. I estimated this was approximately a 20th of a teaspoon worth of aluminum that I found, and guess I might have consumed a similar amount accidentally.

Well according to the online calculator I tried, daily intake 10mg is about .004ml, or about a thousandth of a teaspoon. Or in other words we consume about a teaspoon's worth every three years. So I might have consumed 50 days worth. Not worth worrying about. Good.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
After doing a lot of research on aluminum while buying some new frying pans, I learned that humans supposedly consume quite a bit of aluminum typically. 10mg/day seems like a low consensus estimate from a few sources I've seen.

So I was just eating my salad and found some shavings from drilling holes in aluminum for a project. I wondered how many days worth of aluminum I had consumed. I estimated this was approximately a 20th of a teaspoon worth of aluminum that I found, and guess I might have consumed a similar amount accidentally.

Well according to the online calculator I tried, daily intake 10mg is about .004ml, or about a thousandth of a teaspoon. Or in other words we consume about a teaspoon's worth every three years. So I might have consumed 50 days worth. Not worth worrying about. Good.
What are the major sources of aluminum consumption? ( Other than borings!)

Ha
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
It's the main ingredient in antiperspirants but I couldn't say how much really gets absorbed into our body.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
So I might have consumed 50 days worth. Not worth worrying about.
I doubt your body even absorbed it all. I'd be more worried about a perforation/irritation from any sharp edges (also unlikely I would think).

For ref, check out the aluminum content in an antacid tablet. This question comes up in the brewing community a lot, as many use aluminum brew kettles, and the brewing liquid (wort) is acidic. One of the authors of home-brewing books is a metallurgist by trade, and he says:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Appendix B - Brewing Metallurgy

Quote:
There is more aluminum in a common antacid tablet than would be present in a batch of beer made in an aluminum pot.
Note, the wort is in contact with the aluminum for an hour or so. Long term, it need to be kept in a non-reactive container (glass, lined mettal container, or some plastics can be OK).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I wonder if it dissolves in beverages that come in aluminum cans. I generally buy the 12-oz cans rather than 16 or 20-oz bottles. I only drink sodas occasionally, so I'm not really worried about how much aluminum I get that way, but maybe someone who drinks several canned beverages a day would get enough to be a cause of concern.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I wonder if it dissolves in beverages that come in aluminum cans. I generally buy the 12-oz cans rather than 16 or 20-oz bottles. I only drink sodas occasionally, so I'm not really worried about how much aluminum I get that way, but maybe someone who drinks several canned beverages a day would get enough to be a cause of concern.
Aluminum cans are plastic lined. Most soda is acidic, it would taste metallic in short order. Probably even dissolve right through the can in weeks/months?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Aluminum cans have an extremely thin interior plastic coating. No worries. I think the studies that dealt with the connection between aluminum intake and Alzheimer's were done in countries that used a lot of unlined aluminum pots. And smoked a lot.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Baking powder.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

We don't use aluminum cookware. We use only cast iron, stainless steel, and glass.
Unfortunately, we have not found a substitute for aluminum foil.

Crystal is a deodorant with no aluminum that is sold most places.

Crystal Body Deodorant
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

How much would one have to screpa the bottom of aluminium pans with serving spoons to ingest any?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #11

The information that we typically consume a teaspoon's worth every few years is a useful benchmark for thinking about how much a problem pan leaching might be... unless you're really aggressive about your use of pans, it's hard to imagine a typical home user scraping much more than a teaspoon's worth off of a pan. So overall this is not a big concern.

Untreated pans and kettles are by far the most likely to leach aluminum. Note that this includes many baking pans.

Older style Caphalon is much safer because it's hard-anodized to harden the surface.

The newer Caphalon typically has nonstick coating totally protecting the hard anodized aluminum.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote