Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
Life Expectancy in Nigeria

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/...ife-expectancy

According to the latest WHO data published in 2018 life expectancy in Nigeria is: Male 54.7, female 55.7 and total life expectancy is 55.2 which gives Nigeria a World Life Expectancy ranking of 178. You can see the leading causes of death data and rankings for Nigeria by clicking on the links below or select the full country health profile at the bottom of the page.

Or, maybe the reason for low Alzheimer's disease in Nigerians is because they don't live long enough to develop the disease.
"The overall age-adjusted prevalence rates of dementia and Alzheimer's disease in Ibadan were 2.29% and 1.41%, respectively. These rates were much lower than the respective values of 8.24% and 6.24% obtained for African Americans."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11054131
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is another link on which countries have the highest deathrate from Alzheimers and the lowest rate of Alzheimers

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/...ia/by-country/

If you look at the diet of the various countries, the highest rate have a diet of mostly animal meat....while the lowest rate have a diet of mostly plant and fish.

The Mediterranean diet emphasizes plant and fish.

I am now convinced that a MacDonald Cheeseburger is the worst thing you can eat...because of the red meat (saturated fat), the cheese (dairy product) and the white bread (refined carbs which inflames your brain).
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't eat anything. Pretty much guarantees I won't get Alzheimers.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Nope, not enough. You'll also need to move to Mars, to avoid pollution, contaminants, and anxiety over world affairs. Since you won't be eating, you won't need to worry about how to grow food on Mars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't eat anything. Pretty much guarantees I won't get Alzheimers.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

If inflammation is the cause, why not take anti-inflammatories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
H(refined carbs which inflames your brain).
Old 07-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
"The overall age-adjusted prevalence rates of dementia and Alzheimer's disease in Ibadan were 2.29% and 1.41%, respectively. These rates were much lower than the respective values of 8.24% and 6.24% obtained for African Americans."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11054131

Yep. African Americans also have access to the McDonald's cheeseburgers which Nigerians do not.

This has the appearance of being one of potential "environmental factors" that your cited study has concluded.

You are...what you eat.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

There are many foods that are anti-inflammatory. I have this chart printed out as a reminder - https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...t-inflammation.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 07-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Personally I think it’s better to avoid the inflammation in the first place. Who knows how much anti-inflammatory medicine you need, and some have side effects.

Apparently my very low-carb/ketogenic diet is a low inflammation diet, so I’m hoping I see some reduced inflammation results.

I have been taking turmeric as an anti-inflammatory for well over a year, but it hasn’t helped my thyroid auto-immune condition much. It may have helped with other problems.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=vchan2177;2266759]Here is another link on which countries have the highest deathrate from Alzheimers and the lowest rate of Alzheimers

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/...ia/by-country/

If you look at the diet of the various countries, the highest rate have a diet of mostly animal meat....while the lowest rate have a diet of mostly plant and fish.

The Mediterranean diet emphasizes plant and fish.

I am now convinced that a MacDonald Cheeseburger is the worst thing you can eat...because of the red meat (saturated fat), the cheese (dairy product) and the white bread (refined carbs which inflames your brain).[/QUOTE

I wonder if the difference in prevalence of Alzheimer’s might reflect a difference in diagnosis in various countries, rather than an actual difference in incidence. I wish there were an easy answer to preventing Alzheimer’s, but the evidence supporting diet, exercise, flossing, brain training, taking cholesterol drugs, drinking wine, etc. is all quite weak.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #70

I am now convinced that a MacDonald Cheeseburger is the worst thing you can eat...because of the red meat (saturated fat), the cheese (dairy product) and the white bread (refined carbs which inflames your brain).[/QUOTE

I wonder if the difference in prevalence of Alzheimer’s might reflect a difference in diagnosis in various countries, rather than an actual difference in incidence. I wish there were an easy answer to preventing Alzheimer’s, but the evidence supporting diet, exercise, flossing, brain training, taking cholesterol drugs, drinking wine, etc. is all quite weak.[/QUOTE]

The most compelling evidence to me is the actual diet of numerous doctors and researchers who are engaged in finding a cure to Alzheimer's.

Some of these researchers had a mother or father who had Alzheimer's so therefore they are highly motivated and they have dedicated their entire lives to find a cure. They examine all the evidence...weak or otherwise. I considered them smarter than me on this subject so I take their advice.

What do they recommend? Diet, exercise, flossing, brain training, drinking wine. I am not sure if the evidence is weak but if they are doing it, then I am doing it.

Remember, some people get Alzheimer's...while other people don't.

The Nigerian paradox and the scientific community agree that it is not gene related...but "most likely" diet and lifestyle related.

All you have to do is watch the youtube videos by these doctors and researchers and some of the doctors and researchers discloses what they are doing to avoid this disease.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #71

I don't understand the cultural fetish of assigning responsibility for nearly everything to Diet. Obviously some things are and have been known to be deleterious eg sugar/candy. And some things are good for certain things. eg certain fruits & vegetables can prevent diseases like pelagra and scurvy. But when it comes to everything health-wise causing or preventing practically everything the first thing people reach for is "diet". As if there couldn't possibly be anything else in the mix? Nope. We know it all. Everybody knows that. I wonder which foods cause or prevent obsessive / compulsive disorder?
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The most compelling evidence to me is the actual diet of numerous doctors and researchers who are engaged in finding a cure to Alzheimer's.

Some of these researchers had a mother or father who had Alzheimer's so therefore they are highly motivated and they have dedicated their entire lives to find a cure. They examine all the evidence...weak or otherwise. I considered them smarter than me on this subject so I take their advice.

What do they recommend? Diet, exercise, flossing, brain training, drinking wine. I am not sure if the evidence is weak but if they are doing it, then I am doing it.

Remember, some people get Alzheimer's...while other people don't.

The Nigerian paradox and the scientific community agree that it is not gene related...but "most likely" diet and lifestyle related.

All you have to do is watch the youtube videos by these doctors and researchers and some of the doctors and researchers discloses what they are doing to avoid this disease.
We do watch the videos and we are really trying to clean up our act as a result. It is not like anybody else has any better ideas for preventing or reversing Alzheimer's. The worst side effect seems to be reducing our chances of getting heart disease, since most of the recommendations are also the same suggestions for having a healthy heart and avoiding other chronic disorders.

Several of our neighbors either have Alzheimer's or have died from it, so for us activities like more exercise, better sleep habits and a plant based diet seem like a small price to pay to try to avoid what our neighbors have been through.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:37 PM   #73

An article just published today on the connection between life style and Alzhimer's Disease......click the following link:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/may-possi...150048674.html

More and more evidence are being published establishing this connection.

It will reach a point when the weak evidence becomes conclusive.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I don't understand the cultural fetish of assigning responsibility for nearly everything to Diet. Obviously some things are and have been known to be deleterious eg sugar/candy. And some things are good for certain things. eg certain fruits & vegetables can prevent diseases like pelagra and scurvy. But when it comes to everything health-wise causing or preventing practically everything the first thing people reach for is "diet". As if there couldn't possibly be anything else in the mix? Nope. We know it all. Everybody knows that. I wonder which foods cause or prevent obsessive / compulsive disorder?
Scientists spend years doing nothing but studying Alzheimers.
They find that diet definitely plays a part.
What's fetishist about that?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If you are concerned about how fresh red meat is manufactured, I think you can find sources for grass fed beef that has not been subjected to antibiotics and growth hormones.
This is the only beef we eat at home. Outside of our home, we are at the mercy of the beef being served. in a big scheme of things, it is probably insignificant toward what it does to AZ. I sure hope there are more legitimate studies and researches on the topic.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if OP had any idea he was setting off yet another round of "Eat This, Not That"?

People are so hung up on foodage!
Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 AM   #77
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I wonder if OP had any idea he was setting off yet another round of "Eat This, Not That"?
no
Old 07-15-2019, 01:40 AM   #78

Quote:

Maybe cos foodage is considered important by those who spend their life studying the problem. And since the disease starts 20 years or so before it shows signs, then that's the very best we can do.

Don't understand why people are so hung up on knocking it [emoji4]
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #79

Quote:

... b/c our eating habits can have impact on one's future with AZ? My wild guess .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:05 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My friend had a slow progression even though she got it young. It was the only last 3 years of her life where you couldn’t leave her alone at night. She died at 65 from cancer that was not treated due to her advanced Alzheimer’s.

DM’s progression from the beginning to the end was about 6 or 7 years, but she only needed around the clock care the last 2 to 3. I read somewhere at that time that the average duration was about 8 years. DM didn’t quite make it that long...