Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastOfTheBoomers View Post
After my father passed away my mother lived by herself for a couple of years and then checked herself into an independent care facility. Best gift she could have given her kids - we never worried. I tell people I meet about what she did and that it saved so many sleepless nights.
I will be ever so grateful that my mother moved voluntarily to a CCRC. She was in independent living for 11 years and loved it, she had a great time. It would often take two or three days to reach her on the phone because she was out running around doing stuff.

This, and dealing with FIL's issues because he refused to face the reality, is why we will move to a CCRC in the next 5-8 years or so. Both of our remaining parents had a lot of help from children when they had to move. We will not have that help and will have to do it ourselves well before the crisis stage.

Some relatives think we're nuts. We call it taking responsibility for ourselves.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks to all of who have posted words of support and advice. I wish I could answer each and everyone of you but there is not enough time in the day at present.

DW's brother called first thing this morning to say that her father is already backtracking. He is moving back home immediately and after the first month he will move his wife to a cheaper facility that is five minutes closer to their home. It will save him about $6k per year at the cheaper place. That facility has a good reputation and she would be fine there but the difference between the atmospheres of the two facilities is huge. The one she is currently in just opened this past October and is like a 5 star hotel. Everything is new and bright and well laid out with all kinds of amenities. The other facility was built over 30 years and is just small, somewhat drab and just the basic amenities. The place is clean and the staff there were all very nice but for the small amount of extra money the choice should be an easy one. MIL's current room is bright, spacious and homey with all new furnishings and a wonderful view of a wooded park from her 3rd floor windows. The room at the other place looks like your typical hospital room with a view from the first floor windows of either the parking lot or an uninspiring courtyard and more rooms across the way.

I cannot understand his miserly ways. Many of us here strive to be frugal and LBYM but FIL has progressed beyond that and slipped into being downright miserly. Spoke to BIL this morning and he says FIL actually has a net worth of almost $2 mil. At age 80 there is no way he will ever outlive that. Is he playing the game where the one with the most money in the bank at the end wins?

We must all be vigilant to not go there. It is most depressing to witness.

Why work so hard to save all of that money so that you can retire with confidence and dignity and then not use it for the safety and well-being of yourself and your loved ones when the time comes?

At that point, the dignity you have worked so hard to maintain is gone and your efforts have been wasted.

I will do my absolute best to not travel down that path.

Again, thank you all for your support. Will add updates as time allows.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the update, BTravlin.

I sure hope things work out for your *ILs.

Question: Is FIL being miserly or trying to leave more inheritance to his children? Regardless of the answer, your MIL deserves better (and it's her money too).
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or is FIL suffering from dementia himself. Of course it could be the reation to change. Let's face it when you start thinking about assisted living, lots of other fears come out. My DFs last year was a nightmare, Dementia that he could no longer hide, an unnatural fear of going to nursing home. I'm glad he is not suffering any more.

Does the state FIL lives in have an agency to come to his home and evaluate his ability to care for himself?
I'll be hoping better days are ahead for your family.
Best wishes,
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Thanks for the update, BTravlin.

I sure hope things work out for your *ILs.

Question: Is FIL being miserly or trying to leave more inheritance to his children? Regardless of the answer, your MIL deserves better (and it's her money too).
I wish I knew the answer. It's very hard to engage him on the subject. There are three children, all of whom are adopted and DW is the oldest. The youngest borrowed $50k from them over three years ago to buy a home with promised monthly repayments but she has not been seen or heard from since. She was written out of the will last year. The middle son is helping us deal with this situation. DW and middle son have both told FIL they don't care about the inheritance. Take care of your selves first and foremost.

I think he was in frugal saving mode for so long that he does not know how to change gears.

And, yes, there are signs of dementia in him too but not truly bad yet. When he called the insurance carrier to report his hitting our rental car it sounded like an 8 year old trying to file a claim. They had to lead him through the process.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #66
Gone but not forgotten

Imagine diagnosing Alzheimers 10 or 20 years early:
Quote:
Australian researcher Shaun Frost tested 40 people using a liquid form of curcumin, the natural substance that makes curry yellow. Curcumin sticks to beta amyloids, allowing doctors to spot the proteins with a simple eye test.

Frost found that the test positively identified 100 percent of the participants who had Alzheimer's.
Eye test may be able to detect Alzheimer's decades before onset - CBS News
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #67
Administrator

Very interesting. Thanks for the update.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

To be fore warned is to be fore armed.

Diabetes Link to Alzheimer's

[stepping on soapbox]
Another reason to cut back on the sugar and junky carbs and start eating real food.
[stepping off soapbox]

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Or is FIL suffering from dementia himself. Of course it could be the reation to change. Let's face it when you start thinking about assisted living, lots of other fears come out. My DFs last year was a nightmare, Dementia that he could no longer hide, an unnatural fear of going to nursing home. I'm glad he is not suffering any more.

Does the state FIL lives in have an agency to come to his home and evaluate his ability to care for himself?
I'll be hoping better days are ahead for your family.
Best wishes,
MRG
My concern as well. My Father has Alzheimer's and while my Mom was living she was his primary care taker. Mom suffered some minor strokes, developed Dementia and started arguing with my sister who lived next door. She (Mom) then began making some very poor decisions and the ensuing fall out was not pretty. I hope your family can avoid that.

If it were me, I'd monitor the FIL carefully and humor him when I could (Make him think better decisions are his idea) and if necessary declare him incompetent- if it comes to that. Its certainly not an easy situation and people suffering from Dementia can be trouble some and make hurtful statements. Not pleasant but some pretty thick hide helps.

Good luck to you!

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Imagine diagnosing Alzheimers 10 or 20 years early:

Eye test may be able to detect Alzheimer's decades before onset - CBS News

Interesting, but that report is missing some key info:

Quote:
Frost found that the test positively identified 100 percent of the participants who had Alzheimer's.
I could say the same about a "pulse test": ERD50 found that 100 percent of the participants who had Alzheimer's also had a pulse.

IOW, it isn't telling us how many false positives there are. None? Hopefully, this is a good test and leads to better treatments. Is it just eye drops and a scan?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Interesting, but that report is missing some key info:

I could say the same about a "pulse test": ERD50 found that 100 percent of the participants who had Alzheimer's also had a pulse.

IOW, it isn't telling us how many false positives there are. None? Hopefully, this is a good test and leads to better treatments. Is it just eye drops and a scan?

-ERD50
News releases from the mass media for the general public rarely show the depth of analysis we demand, but that doesn't mean the underlying report suffers the same deficiency. From the Alzheimers Association website AAIC Press Release | AAIC 2014
Quote:
Preliminary results suggest that amyloid levels detected in the retina were significantly correlated with brain amyloid levels as shown by PET imaging. The retinal amyloid test also differentiated between Alzheimer's and non-Alzheimer's subjects with 100 percent sensitivity and 80.6 percent specificity.

Furthermore, longitudinal studies on an initial cohort demonstrated an average of 3.5% increase in retinal amyloid over a 3.5-month period of time demonstrating promise of the technique as a means for monitoring response to therapy.
So, it's a simple test that is low cost and easy to administer. It still has some accuracy weaknesses. It doesn't actually detect the presence of the disease, just a protein in the brain (amyloid) that is associated with AD. It also may track the progress of amyloid buildup, which would be a major breakthrough. (All this my layman's understanding)

OTOH, it is one study, not yet finished, not yet subject to peer review. So, a grain of salt and a healthy measure of patience.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #72

My father was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He suspected it (family history and he is a retired physician assistant with many years of experience working with Alzheimer's patients) based on his own observations of his memory failing and more difficulty with more complex tasks (balancing checkbook for example). He took it upon himself to have his PCP refer him for a brain scan.

So, his PCP has started him on the Exelon patch and I believe it is Namenda. Dad is considered to be in the Mild Stage of the Disease.

It was a blessing that my Dad recognized what was going on. Now at least, he is under medical care that may delay the progression of the disease. His Doctor told him that in December they'd evaluate whether or not the drugs seem to be helping him and then go from there. Apparently, the available drugs seem to help keep the disease from progressing in some cases and in others really don't help much at all.

My Dad is Diabetic and will turn 78 this November, he has lived longer than 5 or his 6 siblings. Mom will not be able to care for Dad in the later stages of the Disease. They know this and understand that decisions lie ahead.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #73
Administrator

jimnjana, sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully it progresses very slowly and he enjoys many more years of quality life with his family.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #74
Gone but not forgotten

Found this test...
as MichaelB notes:
So far, so good....but it's creeping up,,,

Quote:
> Here's another trick of Doctor Dementia to test your skills...
>
>
> Can you meet this challenge?
>
>
> I've seen this with the letters out of order, but this is the first time I've seen it with numbers. Good example of a Brain Study: If you can read this OUT LOUD you have a strong mind. And better than that: Alzheimer's is a long long, way down the road before it ever gets anywhere near you.
>
>
> 7H15 M3554G3
>
>
> 53RV35 7O PR0V3
>
>
> H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N
>
>
> D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5!
>
>
> 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5!
>
>
> 1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG
>
>
> 17 WA5 H4RD BU7
>
>
> N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3
>
>
> Y0UR M1ND 1S
>
>
> R34D1NG 17
>
>
> 4U70M471C4LLY
>
>
> W17H 0U7 3V3N
>
>
> 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17,
>
>
> B3 PROUD! 0NLY
>
>
> C3R741N P30PL3 C4N
>
>
> R3AD 7H15.
>
>
> PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F
>
>
> U C4N R34D 7H15.
>
>
> To my 'selected' strange-minded friends: If you can read the following paragraph, forward it on to your friends with 'yes' in the subject line. Only great minds can read this. This is weird, but interesting!
>
>
> If you can raed this, you have a sgtrane mnid, too.
>
>
> Can you raed this? Olny 55 people out of 100 can.
>
>
> I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseaethe huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh?
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Makes me wonder why I spent so much time to learn to spell.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
My father was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He suspected it (family history and he is a retired physician assistant with many years of experience working with Alzheimer's patients) based on his own observations of his memory failing and more difficulty with more complex tasks (balancing checkbook for example). He took it upon himself to have his PCP refer him for a brain scan.

So, his PCP has started him on the Exelon patch and I believe it is Namenda. Dad is considered to be in the Mild Stage of the Disease.

It was a blessing that my Dad recognized what was going on. Now at least, he is under medical care that may delay the progression of the disease. His Doctor told him that in December they'd evaluate whether or not the drugs seem to be helping him and then go from there. Apparently, the available drugs seem to help keep the disease from progressing in some cases and in others really don't help much at all.

My Dad is Diabetic and will turn 78 this November, he has lived longer than 5 or his 6 siblings. Mom will not be able to care for Dad in the later stages of the Disease. They know this and understand that decisions lie ahead.
Update: So far so good. Dad is tolerating the drugs well so his dosages are being increased to the level he will likely be taking for the rest of his life. PCP also is starting him on Axona, a medical food. Use of medical foods and nutritional approaches in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease
Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #77

A couple of years ago I wen to a neurologist because I felt my memory was failing. He tested (and passed) me, sighting stress as the reason for my memory lapses. He also said that tumeric may help, so I've been taking 400 mg 2x a day since (along with 3 whole peppercorns 2x a day to help with absorption).

Has anyone else heard of curcumin (tumeric) being used ?

The effect of curcumin (turmeric) on Alzheimer's disease: An overview
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Alzheimer’s disease was first diagnosis in Germany by Alois Alzheimer in 1906 and from that time to 1950 was very rare. I was not able to find death from Alzheimer's in 1920,1930,1940,and 1950.
In the 1950s the American Heart Association started promoting machine grease [Crisco]as being better than animal fat. Alzheimer's started and when the statin drugs came on the market in 1998 to 2001it skyrocket. When you start research all they want to talk about is how it will even get higher double by 2050.

The cholesterol that they told everyone to reduce is what the brain is made of. If you check the when Alzheimer started to increase equals the cholesterol phobia and when statin started it skyrocket.
There is 4 main types of dementia 1 is senile dementia which is plugging and free radical damage in the veins 2 is Korsakoff’s Syndrome which is mistaken for Alzheimer's by doctors and is a vitamin B1 deficiency 3 Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome which is Korsakoff syndrome and another problem 4 is Alzheimer's which can only be diagnosis at death
There is research that says that high quaintly of vitamin E can bring back memory in Alzheimer [not a cure] So if you know a person with Alzheimer [dementia] a large dose of vitamin B1,B12 and E with lots of eggs certainly will not harm and just might help
Old 10-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
Alzheimer’s disease was first diagnosis in Germany by Alois Alzheimer in 1906 and from that time to 1950 was very rare. I was not able to find death from Alzheimer's in 1920,1930,1940,and 1950.
In the 1950s the American Heart Association started promoting machine grease [Crisco]as being better than animal fat. Alzheimer's started and when the statin drugs came on the market in 1998 to 2001it skyrocket. When you start research all they want to talk about is how it will even get higher double by 2050.

The cholesterol that they told everyone to reduce is what the brain is made of. If you check the when Alzheimer started to increase equals the cholesterol phobia and when statin started it skyrocket.
There is 4 main types of dementia 1 is senile dementia which is plugging and free radical damage in the veins 2 is Korsakoff’s Syndrome which is mistaken for Alzheimer's by doctors and is a vitamin B1 deficiency 3 Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome which is Korsakoff syndrome and another problem 4 is Alzheimer's which can only be diagnosis at death
There is research that says that high quaintly of vitamin E can bring back memory in Alzheimer [not a cure] So if you know a person with Alzheimer [dementia] a large dose of vitamin B1,B12 and E with lots of eggs certainly will not harm and just might help

Huh?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
A couple of years ago I wen to a neurologist because I felt my memory was failing. He tested (and passed) me, sighting stress as the reason for my memory lapses. He also said that tumeric may help, so I've been taking 400 mg 2x a day since (along with 3 whole peppercorns 2x a day to help with absorption).

Has anyone else heard of curcumin (tumeric) being used ?

The effect of curcumin (turmeric) on Alzheimer's disease: An overview
Just recently read this and another article on the same subject. I certainly would try it, I can't see where it can hurt.

We have a new memory unit at a teaching hospital here, they suggested exercise in moderation(with docs ok). Not a cure but it could possbly delay the start of symptoms, won't hurt your stress either. I think my memory is better after leaving the stress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote