Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I was doing the exact same thing in my teens. So maybe it was just learned imitation of my parents (who were of an age to be my grandparents). I never worried about it - just went back where I'd come from so the reason would "pop" into my head.

Y'all are worrying about nothing, IMHO. The bad sign is when you ask spouse or SO a question, and he/she says irritably, "You just asked me that 2 hours ago, and also last night," and you get mad at them because you had no clue. I'm told that the "getting mad at them" is the bad sign, even more than the forgetting.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Cwe remembered laughing at our mother when she would come into a room and ask "Why did I come in here?"

Now we're doing the same thing.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
As someone else recently commented, there are plenty of smartphone apps that tell you where you are.
As long as you can remember where you put your smartphone.

Sorry, just too easy...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Nords, your "marriage pop quiz" reference is one that I always fail.
By the time I realize that DH has had a haircut and compliment him on it, it invariably brings on a response of "thanks, but I got it cut last week". I'm terrible at noticing things like that. However, housecleaning normally gets noticed, if only for the fact that sweeping involves at least a good-sized cat's worth of pet hair missing from the floors!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

DW's sister, a semi-retired nurse who now works part time, put it this way: A normal person will forget where they put their keys. A person with dementia will forget what keys are for.

So you probably have a ways to go yet.
That's the standard line, and it is comforting not to be that bad...yet. But it would seem that by then it's kind of late to make an improvement. Forgetting the keys seems like you're part way to forgetting what keys are for, especially when you never had a problem before.

Went shopping with DW Saturday. I forgot to bring the broken pool filter part from the car to the pool store to find a replacement. The next store I forgot to bring the list of batteries I needed to get. Both times I remembered just before walking into the store and had to walk back to the car to retrieve the item. I guess if I do that enough the exercise will help my brain! In my defense, I'm sure DW was distracting me .
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have the official words of a memory oriented neurologist on this subject. I was in the process of getting diagnosed with vascular dementia due to a lifetime of type 1 diabetes. I was having memory loss and couldn't learn anything new. As a "yout" I was always the smartest person in the room. Now, at age 44, I couldn't remember what I had talked to a co-worker about 2 minutes before. My productivity was down to 25% of my normal. Due to the "new" developments, I was anxious and depressed for the first time in my life. I talked to my Internist and he recommended a neuro visit. After I described my symptoms, the brain doctor just chuckled and said "Do you know how many people your age I see every week with those complaints?" He said that if I wasn't a type 1 diabetic he'd just dismiss me with the warning to keep my BP normal and exercise more. But in my case we were on to something. Turns out in my case it was small blood vessel deterioration everywhere, including my brain. Short term memory was impaired. A person can't learn anything "new" if they can't remember it! Hello, long term disability. I can still function and am as happy as can be, but I am not able to learn well enough to be a real time programmer any more.

Welcome to the world of lists. And lists of lists. I use a LOT of paper!

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This thread reminds me that the only difference between eccentric and forgetful is how much money you have...

I get hand signals, which I can't see because I'm looking at the road ahead
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Same here. I'd say "Which way?" and I'd get back "This way". Right or Left would have helped.

Now instead of that... think kids in the back seat...

Me "which way?"

Them "that way" pointing some direction....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I've had most of the examples and not been too concerned. But what's ALWAYS bugged me is my inability to remember names, and also faces. Even talked to Dr. about it once, he said no big deal and more frequent in men. I had a successful career, but I was always haunted by this failure to remember people and their names. Go figure. I've known people (one politician in particular) who could walk into a restaurant and wander around and call out names and it would just amaze me.

Are you good at math

I remember a show a long time ago.... they said there were 5 kinds of memory and faces and phone numbers were one of them.... and that people who were good at math had 'smaller' memories for them....

I can not remember the names of people... unless I deal with them all the time... after a few weeks to months, their name receeds into the background.... now, if you tell me there name, my memory is able to find all the info and I can tell you things from many many years ago.... funny that...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I forgot to take the trash out last week, despite thinking, "Now, I need to remember to do that when I get home tonight". It wasn't a problem, since we have trash collection twice a week, but still it bothered me that I forgot...
In Mexico, we have to take the garbage to a bin at the end of our cul-de-sac, about half a block. Usually I just carry it there on my way walking somewhere.

But if I am driving, I put it on the back seat. 70% of the time it goes on a return trip wherever I am going. This is only a problem if it contains chicken remains, or if I am picking someone up. But I am always amazed that I can put it on the seat and then immediately forget about it.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #49
gone traveling

Easysurfer,

There is a medical acronym used to describe this condition, its called CRS

or can't remember do do
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Nords, your "marriage pop quiz" reference is one that I always fail.
By the time I realize that DH has had a haircut and compliment him on it, it invariably brings on a response of "thanks, but I got it cut last week". I'm terrible at noticing things like that.
I make it easy on spouse by not cutting my hair.

She makes it easy on me by pulling out the photos that she always takes along to her stylist. When I see Raquel Welch and Katy Segal laying on the kitchen counter, I know what to watch out for...

As for the regular cleaning, well, not so much of that around here. But I clean off my desk once or twice a year just for the shock & awe.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

For those who are worried about memory loss I recommend strenuous mental effort. At 63 i experience a lot of the forgetfulness and loss of attention that others are reporting here: couldn't recall one of my best friend's name yesterday until my wife reminded me and sometimes I forget why I walked into the kitchen. However, I recently completed an intensive language course of four months in which among other requirements we had to memorize more than 30 new vocabulary words each day. On the tests I scored probably at the 75th percentile against students whose average age was probably 30. I do know that I worked a lot harder at it than many of them and that it would have been easier for me when I was their age, but nevertheless.

Like physical abilities, mental skills probably have a use-or-lose-it quality.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Treating the brain like a muscle pays dividends.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Things are what they are. A few examples:

I might meet someone tonight, run into them tomorrow, have no clue who they are. Untill they speak. I recognioze voices, faces forget it.

When my GM was in her upper 90's (and living alone) my mother decided the kids should invite ourselves for supper a few tiimes a week (GM couldn't be bothered to make herself a meal). She could remember: what happened in 1912, who I was, what was happening in the news. She couldn't remeber: if she had breakfast, if so what it was and if she'd had any visitors that day. She also explained it as "I remember things that matter".

Me too.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Just started reading this thread and it reminded me of an 'incident' that occurred while I was in my late 40s........the house my late wife & I were living in had a stairwell, with a small landing, visible from the open area living/dining/kitchen.......I was on the landing when my wife spoke to me and we had an exchange lasting several minutes.

When we stopped talking I was damned if I could remember if I was on the landing because I was heading UP or because I was heading DOWN!

A one shot deal, (as far as I can 'remember'), but at the time it gave me cause for concern and I've never forgotten how it felt.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

"What we have here is a failure to concentrate." A take on the Paul Newman movie.

I did it again. Yesterday, going shoping when I arrived at the store, my thought was "Darn it, forgot my list!" Then when I get home, I see in my wallet...the list. I forgot that I had placed the list in there.

Today, I bring my car into the shop. The place is about 4 miles away. So instead of just sitting there and waiting, I have this small folding bicycle that I fold the post for the handle bars down and shove the bicycle in my back seat. Well...I drop the car off, hop on my bike and start pedaling when I almost fall off! Forgot to secure the handle bar post!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I did it again. Yesterday, going shoping when I arrived at the store, my thought was "Darn it, forgot my list!" Then when I get home, I see in my wallet...the list. I forgot that I had placed the list in there.
If you have a smartphone, start making it a practice to only make lists on your phone, never on paper. Then you will always have them with you. At least, most of us never forget our phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer
Today, I bring my car into the shop. The place is about 4 miles away. So instead of just sitting there and waiting, I have this small folding bicycle that I fold the post for the handle bars down and shove the bicycle in my back seat. Well...I drop the car off, hop on my bike and start pedaling when I almost fall off! Forgot to secure the handle bar post!
Can't help you with that one! Glad you didn't fall off.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you have a smartphone, start making it a practice to only make lists on your phone, never on paper. Then you will always have them with you. At least, most of us never forget our phones.
You can be sure you won't forget your phone by including it on a list of things not to forget...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Can't help you with that one! Glad you didn't fall off.
Good idea. I don't have a smart phone but a simple mobile phone. Maybe I should have tucked the list in there. Or just checked my wallet

I could tie a string around my finger...but I know I'll go "What's this string supposed to remind me of?"

Yes, I saw a big fall off my bicycle flash before me.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"What we have here is a failure to concentrate." A take on the Paul Newman movie.
Well...I drop the car off, hop on my bike and start pedaling when I almost fall off! Forgot to secure the handle bar post!
Quote:
Yes, I saw a big fall off my bicycle flash before me.
Is it possible that you're rushing through the routine?

I hope these near-misses inspire you to move a little more deliberately and thoughtfully... before the situation resolves itself by making it a lot harder for you to move at all.

If your incidents happened in the military, you (and everyone else at your command) would be forced to sit in an auditorium for eight hours of mandatory alertness training. And the chain of command would somehow let slip to all your shipmates that your incidents were the inspiration for the all-hands evolution.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Is it possible that you're rushing through the routine?

I hope these near-misses inspire you to move a little more deliberately and thoughtfully... before the situation resolves itself by making it a lot harder for you to move at all.

If your incidents happened in the military, you (and everyone else at your command) would be forced to sit in an auditorium for eight hours of mandatory alertness training. And the chain of command would somehow let slip to all your shipmates that your incidents were the inspiration for the all-hands evolution.
I do think it very well could be having the mindset of mult-tasking or rushing, like you said.
As the saying goes, "Haste makes waste."

I'll pass on having to sit in an auditorium for eight hours, thank you .