Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
Administrator

This thread reminds me that the only difference between eccentric and forgetful is how much money you have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Ms G loves to give me street directions 2 hours before the first turn, like I can remember 20 lefts and rights.
I get hand signals, which I can't see because I'm looking at the road ahead
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I like to think that my brain is almost full so I would have to empty something out to remember the new stuff.

Bill Cosby said that as you age, your brain migrates to your butt, so you can't remember what you got up to do until you sit back down.
Bill Cosby's joke is funny!

I had a friend whose dad said human brain was like a computer with limited disk space, so unless you erase something, you cannot put anything new in.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

I get hand signals, which I can't see because I'm looking at the road ahead
Same here. I'd say "Which way?" and I'd get back "This way". Right or Left would have helped.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW asked me to tighten the handle on the mixer valve on our tub/shower about a month ago. Every day when I take a shower I think about tightening the handle, but I forget about the task by the time I am dressed. I finally remembered about 15 minutes ago and the task is now complete. Wonder if DW will notice tomorrow morning?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
About the forgetting part (shopping list, things to bring to a place, etc) - If I am lazy to write them down or I am in bed and remember I need to do something, (I learned this trick in Psychology 101 in college), visualize the item much bigger than its actual size in your mind. (I realize there is no reference point in your mind's eye, but this works well for me.) - HUGE milk junk, HUGE Kellogg corn flake box, HUGE toothpaste, etc, and I try to remember the total number of items I need to remember.
I'll have to try that one! I had never heard of it.

I do find that remembering the total number of items I need to remember, is helpful. For example, every night at bedtime I know I need to do three things (take my pills, plug in anything that needs recharging, and adjust the thermostat). I used to forget one or the other now and then, until I started counting them off like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had most of the examples and not been too concerned. But what's ALWAYS bugged me is my inability to remember names, and also faces. Even talked to Dr. about it once, he said no big deal and more frequent in men. I had a successful career, but I was always haunted by this failure to remember people and their names. Go figure. I've known people (one politician in particular) who could walk into a restaurant and wander around and call out names and it would just amaze me.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

As far as faces go, I used to work in a restaurant as a server, and I almost always remembered if the customer was a good tipper or not. (some kind of survival mechanism or what, I don't know.)
Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I think I have become a little more forgetful, because I don't put much effort into remembering as I did when working. Most things we forget are not that important. It isn't like we forgot to put clothes on and drove naked somewhere. My worst one was last year when I went to local KFC drive-in. Paid for my meal and promptly drove off without even waiting for my meal. Got out of car and realized what I did. No way was I going back to tell them I was the dumb one who paid for a meal I didn't bother to get.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I've had most of the examples and not been too concerned. But what's ALWAYS bugged me is my inability to remember names, and also faces. Even talked to Dr. about it once, he said no big deal and more frequent in men. I had a successful career, but I was always haunted by this failure to remember people and their names. Go figure. I've known people (one politician in particular) who could walk into a restaurant and wander around and call out names and it would just amaze me.
Yep, me too, I just do not store faces or names unless I see someone often. I've tried all the little tricks and nothing works. Now that I'm older I'm hoping people will be more forgiving when I do not recognize them. Once they tell me their name, I know who they are and when I met them, it's just that the face tells me nothing. I think nowadays such a child as myself would be classified as somewhere on the autistic scale. Back then we were just considered dweebs or jerks or social misfits. Not everything about getting older is bad.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Me too, when I am with my wife and we run into someone we have not seen in a while - she always whispers into my ear their name to help me out... But I can remember every phone number every one of my relatives has ever had - I just cannot remember what their current number is
Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
Administrator

I was going to write something meaningful but I forgot what it was...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Ironically, when I first read this thread I couldn't remember the name of the book that reassured me so much. But it came to me at 2 AM:
Amazon.com: Where Did I Leave My Glasses?: The What, When, and Why of Normal Memory Loss (9780446699358): Martha Weinman Lear: Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I had a friend whose dad said human brain was like a computer with limited disk space, so unless you erase something, you cannot put anything new in.
My write head overwrites anything that hasn't been used in a few weeks. But first the controller fragments the information as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Wonder if DW will notice tomorrow morning?
I absolutely loathe these "marriage pop quizzes". Spouse and I have learned to tell each other "I cleaned up the study. Next time you go by there, "ooh" and "ahh" and give me a big compliment."

Quote:
As I understand it, this has more to do with the brain's wiring than with any distraction or forgetting. Some people have the skill, others do not. Some can develop more proficiency if they work on it, others never will.

The staff of a famous retired politician noticed that he could immediately recall the faces & names of over 4000 people at events like conventions or fundraisers. Phenomenal. Somewhat practiced. But mostly hard-wired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
My worst one was last year when I went to local KFC drive-in. Paid for my meal and promptly drove off without even waiting for my meal. Got out of car and realized what I did. No way was I going back to tell them I was the dumb one who paid for a meal I didn't bother to get.
I've read that this is actually very common. I also see it at Costco where people order their food at the window, pay for it, and then march smartly off before the counter staff have gathered the order together.

I wonder how much it improves the profit margin...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I've taken to staging things as reminders. I keep things in specific places so I always know where it will be. My phone and a pair of reading glasses afe always on the kitchen table soi see them to take along when I drive somewhere. My keys, wallet, change & hankie are on my dresser, another stop before I leave the house.

If I want to remember to take an item with me the next day, I go get it and put it in my car while I'm thinking about it instead of counting on remembering the next day. I just put some menu samples in my sailing bag so I remember to give them to my sailing buddies next Sat. I email links to myself to look at later. I download samples of books I want to read to iBooks to remind me and use iBooks as my library request buffer (I rarely buy ebooks), and then delete them as I get/read them.

I make lists for some things, but hopefully I'm not obsessive (yet).

I'm sure many of us do things like this...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
I've taken to staging things as reminders. I keep things in specific places so I always know where it will be. My phone and a pair of reading glasses afe always on the kitchen table soi see them to take along when I drive somewhere. My keys, wallet, change & hankie are on my dresser, another stop before I leave the house.

If I want to remember to take an item with me the next day, I go get it and put it in my car while I'm thinking about it instead of counting on remembering the next day. I just put some menu samples in my sailing bag so I remember to give them to my sailing buddies next Sat. I email links to myself to look at later. I download samples of books I want to read to iBooks to remind me and use iBooks as my library request buffer (I rarely buy ebooks), and then delete them as I get/read them.

I make lists for some things, but hopefully I'm not obsessive (yet).

I'm sure many of us do things like this...
Yep, I do that also with my big three. The keys stay in ignition, wallet and cell phone on kitchen counter ( dropped my landline, so I have to be careful with cell). Reading glasses, I decided to buy so many of the $2 variety it doesn't matter where they are at as I will stumble unto a pair in about every room.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I like to think that my brain is almost full so I would have to empty something out to remember the new stuff.
This reminds me of that episode of "Married.....With Children" when Kelly was going on a quiz show and Al was busy filling her brain with all kinds of trivia. But Al found out that if you jam a person's brain with one too many things, the first thing you added to it will be forced out. The thing which got forced out was Al's most notable achievement, his scoring 4 touchdowns in a HS football game. And of course the question was, "Who scored 4 TDs in a Polk HS football game?" Kelly had no idea.

This episode has also come to mind because this enter-and-exit thing has sometimes happened to me when I am going out to do multiple errands and have to take a bunch of items with me. What happens is I remember to take the unusual item(s) with me but forget to take the more routine ones, as if my brain could only handle 3 unusual things to remember to take with me so one of the more routine ones got left behind. Like I remember the library book (unusual) but forget the shopping list or bottle of water (routine).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I absolutely loathe these "marriage pop quizzes". Spouse and I have learned to tell each other "I cleaned up the study. Next time you go by there, "ooh" and "ahh" and give me a big compliment."
I thought I was the only one who did this! I do most of the yardwork, and my SO rarely even notices that I've been pruning, weeding, edging, planting, mulching, or whatever. So now I tell him that as we're backing out of the driveway, he'd better see what I did and I want to hear some "oohs and aahs".
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I thought I was the only one who did this!
Well, if she'd soldered some plumbing or replaced a toilet flapper valve or cleaned out the dryer exhaust or put up a new surfboard rack then I'd be much more likely to notice...

Our daughter is one of those people who can walk into a room and instantly notice what's changed-- frequently not even slowing down, yet still tossing off a comment like "I like that new pillow on the sofa!" as she passes through. So spouse makes a lot of changes to the decor before our daughter comes home from college, just to see if she has her powers of observation.

But if I was in charge of the decor & landscaping, this property wouldn't even have bathroom doors or real grass...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Is that like when I go to the kitchen from my computer room and then cannot remember why I went there?
Check yourself into the nursing home, stick a fork in it, you're done.

Just a couple of weeks ago in talking with my little sister (who is 60) we remembered laughing at our mother when she would come into a room and ask "Why did I come in here?"

Now we're doing the same thing.

DW's sister, a semi-retired nurse who now works part time, put it this way: A normal person will forget where they put their keys. A person with dementia will forget what keys are for.

So you probably have a ways to go yet.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But if I was in charge of the decor & landscaping, this property wouldn't even have bathroom doors or real grass...

Green Pea Gravel is the way to go...
Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #40

As someone else recently commented, there are plenty of smartphone apps that tell you where you are.
What I need is one that tells me why I just walked into this room.