Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
So a nice glass of skim milk and a glass of OJ for breakfast....9-11 teaspoons of sugar!!! Scoop that out of the sugar bowl onto your counter and say would I EAT all that sugar?!?!?!!?!? And you haven't even added your cereal yet!!!
Ah that brings back memories.

Anyone else as a kid eat cereal as a medium for lots and lots of spoonfuls of sugar?

To eat shredded wheat I'd basically ladle sugar on to each bite. Otherwise it wasn't really edible (to my very refined 8 year old palate).

And when I ate Cheerios, the best part was the slightly gritty sludge on the bottom composed of milk and sugar.

And what about sugar bread? To white bread add some butter so that the thick layer of sugar wouldn't fall off quite so quickly as it's eaten.

Did I mention I had very little adult supervision?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post

Anyone else as a kid eat cereal as a medium for lots and lots of spoonfuls of sugar?

To eat shredded wheat I'd basically ladle sugar on to each bite. Otherwise it wasn't really edible (to my very refined 8 year old palate).

And when I ate Cheerios, the best part was the slightly gritty sludge on the bottom composed of milk and sugar.

And what about sugar bread? To white bread add some butter so that the thick layer of sugar wouldn't fall off quite so quickly as it's eaten.

Yes! Exactly what I would do with the shredded wheat. The big biscuit kind then add lots of sugar. Much easier now to just buy frosted mini shredded wheat.

Another staple growing up was bread with butter, sugar, and cinnamon then put in oven on broil heat setting.

And ice tea we had with lots of sugar.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #43

Quote:

And back then, "sugar" wasn't a bad word. It was openly and proudly part of the cereal's name. Super Sugar Crisp. Sugar Pops. Sugar Smacks. All of these, of course, changed their names to remove the "Sugar". (Of course, that was the only place the sugar was removed.)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Yeah, totally did this just like all the other kids I knew. I think plain Corn Flakes were the ones I dumped the most sugar on.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #45

Back to the original question, I think they decided to break out "added sugars" on nutrition labels because the foods highest in added sugars are typically the ones that contribute most to the public's excess sugar consumption. Things like sodas, sweetened fruit juices, donuts and pastries, sweet cereals, candy, etc. I'm guessing the hope is that people will see the whopping amounts of "added sugars" in these foods on the new labels and maybe reach for something more natural and healthy instead.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Back to the original question...
To meld the two.

Another staple of my childhood was Kool Aid. You'd buy the packet cheap (simply artificial flavor and color I believe) and add 1 cup of sugar along with two quarts of water.

No one was hiding the sugar there either - and it was clearly "added sugar."
Old 06-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #47

Quote:
Oh yes! I thought the sugar and butter sandwich a bit strange but it would do in a pinch. We didn't bother to put it in the oven though.

And I'd pour it (sometimes literally) on the Rice Crispies or any other cereal that didn't already have sugar on it. But in an era when "free range parenting" was not only allowed but encouraged and expected we ran it all off. No one in our neighborhood was overweight.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Oh yes. Isn't that what cereal is used for? I didn't have enough sugar on cereal until I had a slurry of milk sugar sludge.

As far as adult supervision my DF taught me how to make cinnamon toast as he called it. Butter, sugar, and cinnamon. I know he said it was a depression favorite.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Naturally Occurring Mutagens and Carcinogens Found in Foods and Beverages | Heartlander Magazine

Acetaldehyde (apples, bread, coffee, tomatoes)—mutagen and potent rodent carcinogen

Benzaldehyde (apples, coffee, tomatoes)—rodent carcinogen

Caffeic acid (apples, carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, coffee, grapes, lettuce, mangos, pears, potatoes)—rodent carcinogen

Estragole (apples, basil)—rodent carcinogen

Methyl eugenol (basil, cinnamon and nutmeg in apple and pumpkin pies)—rodent carcinogen

Quercetin glycosides (apples, onions, tea, tomatoes)—mutagens and rodent carcinogens

Safrole (nutmeg in apple and pumpkin pies, black pepper)—rodent carcinogen
Don't know about people, but if rodents are so susceptible to cancer, how do they multiply and thrive despite our extermination attempt? What do they eat?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another staple of my childhood was Kool Aid. You'd buy the packet cheap (simply artificial flavor and color I believe) and add 1 cup of sugar along with two quarts of water.

No one was hiding the sugar there either - and it was clearly "added sugar."
And, even with all that sugar (and I remember pouring it into the jug), Kool-Aid has less sugar than a Coke (8oz serving: Kool-Aid=16g sugar, Coke = 26g sugar). A veritable health food! And with Vitamin C!. Ooops, dang, lost another tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Don't know about people, but if rodents are so susceptible to cancer, how do they multiply and thrive despite our extermination attempt? What do they eat?
Somebody needs to write a new human longevity diet book. Few rats die of cancer or heart attacks (probably--historically few people lived long enough to die of these either). "The Breakthrough Rodent Diet." You can eat anything you find under your fridge, in your garage, or inside a cardboard container (but you've got to chew through it first).
Old 06-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And, even with all that sugar (and I remember pouring it into the jug), Kool-Aid has less sugar than a Coke (8oz serving: Kool-Aid=16g sugar, Coke = 26g sugar). A veritable health food! And with Vitamin C!. Ooops, dang, lost another tooth............

Part of my job with MegaMotors was going to the various assembly plants. I was astounded at one plant cafeteria in the south to see people buying "Cokes" and grabbing a handful of sugar packets to sweeten it further. Seemed to be a local thing.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Part of my job with MegaMotors was going to the various assembly plants. I was astounded at one plant cafeteria in the south to see people buying "Cokes" and grabbing a handful of sugar packets to sweeten it further. Seemed to be a local thing.
It makes sense though. If lots of sugar makes it taste good, then more sugar will make it taste even better, right?
Old 06-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And, even with all that sugar (and I remember pouring it into the jug), Kool-Aid has less sugar than a Coke (8oz serving: Kool-Aid=16g sugar, Coke = 26g sugar). A veritable health food! And with Vitamin C!. Ooops, dang, lost
).
DM used to only put half the sugar in the KoolAide. She said I tasted better, but I think it was the cost of sugar...
Old 06-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Apparently, you have a naturally sweet flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
DM used to only put half the sugar in the KoolAide. She said I tasted better, but I think it was the cost of sugar...
Old 06-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #55

I am glad they are putting added sugars on the label. I think it is of value.

For me, there are a couple of factors that make it really important (first let me say that I am not a fan of drinking fruit juice -- I am talking about foods in this not drinks):

1. In general, if I am buying a food that has a label on it, I want to know what part of the sugars in it come from natural foods versus added sugars. The sugar that comes naturally in the food is more likely to come with nutrients and is sugar that is naturally part of the food. Sugar that naturally occurs in foods usually comes with nutrients. So, yes, I like blackberries and they have some sugar but the nutrients make it worthwhile to me to eat half a cup of blackberries.

With foods that have a label, part of evaluating the food for me is figuring out how much of the sugar that is in the food is there because it is natural to the ingredients in the food versus what is simply added in. Now -- none of that is dispositive by itself but it is a factor to me. I do watch the amount of total sugar I eat in a day. It is usually under 30g in a day and typically most of that is from natural sugars not added sugar. I actually go over ingredients on the food label to see the source of the sugar. There are days I eat much less and days I eat more.

2. Added sugars are often a mark of food processing. I do eat processed foods, but I am careful about it. I have certain things that I look for in a processed food and certain things that I don't want in a processed food. Usually I want natural ingredients and foods that I know what it is. In general, I find that the more added sugar there is in a product then it is more likely to have more processing than I want and is more likely to have other ingredients.