Am I Wrong about "Added" Sugar?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Added sugar seems to be getting more attention, and they even plan to call it out on nutrition labels.

Here is fructose from a grape or an apple:

Fructose.jpg

and here is fructose from added sugar:

Fructose.jpg

I looked at these for a long time, and can't see any difference.

My point is, that there's no difference, so why act as if added sugar is worse than regular sugar? Am I missing something? Adding sugar is bad, I get that, but all sugar is bad for you.

A recent report on NBC almost got it right. It said "So, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice may be loaded with sugar." Can't figure out why they said "may be" instead of "is"--there's no mystery.

If stuff is not sweet enough they add sugar.

Fat was evil now it's not. We must be at war with someone, it's sugars turn to be the problem.

Does this sound familiar?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that grapes and apples are bad because they have some sugars in them. On the other hand if you process grapes and apples to concentrate the sugars, then add that to other foods, that is likely a problem. The resulting sugar content is much higher than that naturally occuring in fruit.

It's all "garp de jour"

I like margaritas. I make 'em with fresh squeezed lime juice (I squeeze 'em myself), tequila, Cointreau and Grand Marnier.

The variable is the limes. Sometimes they are sweeter than others. So I add "agave sweetener", hey, it's cactus juice eh? To taste. More than once as tasting shows.

I also like sugar in my coffee. Rocket science.

Adding it to the labels is stupid, IMO. The label already contains the amount of sugar, and since (as you've noted) fructose is fructose, the only thing that counts is the total number of grams. I guess if someone is totally ignorant and doesn't realize they can eat a peach (see what I did there?) and get a lot less sugar than eating a can of peaches, it might be useful. But I suspect anyone that ignorant isn't going to put two and two together just from seeing "added sugar" on the label.

Looking at my normal breakfast it's ~33 grams of natural sugar, mostly a banana, berries, honey and milk. A can of coke is 39 grams of added sugar all from corn.

Many high in added sugar foods are very poor nutritionally. Lot of empty calories.

Adding it to the labels is stupid, IMO. The label already contains the amount of sugar, and since (as you've noted) fructose is fructose, the only thing that counts is the total number of grams. ...

Agreed. In fact, the 'added sugar' label then makes things more confusing rather than less.

If a serving of something has 33 grams of sugar, it has 33 grams of sugar. But someone might look at something with 20 grams of sugar, see the 'added sugar' label, and grab something with 33 grams instead. :facepalm:

I seem to recall seeing labels ' no sugar added' - but the ingredients list "concentrated grape juice" or even "concentrated sugar cane juice" - but no 'added sugar'! :nonono:

Oh, ABB reference I assume?

-ERD50

Fat was evil now it's not. We must be at war with someone, it's sugars turn to be the problem.

Does this sound familiar?
"Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia."

They are the same but some (many?) people try to limit the obvious sugars they eat but get massive amounts in foods that might otherwise seem healthy but have large doses of added sugars to increase palatability. What you don't know can't hurt you.

Sugar ia not a bad thing per se; as always, the dosage is the "poison". In an era when many people are getting much more sugar than is healthy, yeah, added sugar is a health concern. That said, something with 20g or "natural" sugars and something with 10g of "natural" sugar and 10g added are basically equivalent.

Grapes and apples processed into alcoholic beverages can develop a really high sugar content, yet I seldom see ER forum posters talking about cutting out those things. No, it's always about cutting out bread, potatoes, doughnuts, and limiting fruit, because of the terrible CARBS!

Just messin' with you all...can't help myself ;^>

Grapes and apples processed into alcoholic beverages can develop a really high sugar content, yet I seldom see ER forum posters talking about cutting out those things. No, it's always about cutting out bread, potatoes, doughnuts, and limiting fruit, because of the terrible CARBS!

Heh. But unlike sugar, there are differences with carbs and fats in terms of what it does to the body. Fats, of course, can be saturated or unsaturated. And carbs, while they all have the same calorie content so in that sense "a carb is a carb is a carb", in terms of how it impacts blood sugar and appetite, some carbs are "better" or "worse" than other carbs, particularly for diabetics.

Yes, people make that point frequently...just look at the recent "fatness" threads...

but what about alcohol's effects on diabetics, weight, etc.....:D rarely does anyone speak up about it...it's almost like it's taboo.

And carbs, while they all have the same calorie content so in that sense "a carb is a carb is a carb", in terms of how it impacts blood sugar and appetite, some carbs are "better" or "worse" than other carbs, particularly for diabetics.

The difference is between a naturally occurring sugar and added sugar which might have been processed with chemicals. Honey is my natural sweetener of choice. It has many other ingredients that can be beneficial rather than harmful.
And it tastes sweeter than the equivalent amount of processed sugar of various kinds.

Not sure what you are saying. Fermenting turns sugars into alcohols, and often, almost all the sugar is converted (as in a dry wine).

Unless you are talking about the weight gain effect of the alcohol itself. But, but, but... many studies indicate that 1-2 drinks daily is healthy for men, ~ 1 /day for women (assuming no alcohol related issues with the individual). So I assume any included sugars and alcohol are part of what is good.

And of course, I automatically consider any studies to the contrary to be flawed, biased, statistically insignificant, etc. :)

-ERD50

That's what I assume about everything I really, really like :cool:

So I assume any included sugars and alcohol are part of what is good.

And of course, I automatically consider any studies to the contrary to be flawed, biased, statistically insignificant, etc. :)

-ERD50

The difference is between a naturally occurring sugar and added sugar which might have been processed with chemicals. Honey is my natural sweetener of choice. It has many other ingredients that can be beneficial rather than harmful.
And it tastes sweeter than the equivalent amount of processed sugar of various kinds.

As far as sweetness, honey has the same glucose/fructose ratio as the often vilified "high fructose corn syrup".

Is there any scientific evidence that the 'many other ingredients' in honey are beneficial? Is there really enough bees wings and legs, and traces of pollen and bees wax to have an effect?

I don't use much in the way of sweeteners myself, but honey can be a very tasty thing on some foods, on occasion. And the 'real', and less refined grades of maple syrup.

-ERD50

That's what I assume about everything I really, really like :cool:

Well, I actually think there could be something to it.

Seems there have been many times in the past, that it is determined such-and-such is good for you. So companies offer up that substance in refined form. But it turns out it is all the other 'stuff' that you get along with that substance (like maybe a whole carrot, instead of just the beta-carotene) that has the positive effect. The substance alone may not help, might even hurt by tricking your body into thinking it has enough, and shutting down the absorbency of the other things normally seen with that desired substance.

-ERD50

I'm curious about the real benefits of honey (besides its flavor). I've searched and searched, and never found what seemed like reliable information - just some strongly-worded opinions by self-styled nutrition experts, who abound on the Internet.

Raw honey tastes much, much sweeter to me than does regular sugar. In fact, when I eat raw honey, I always think "This stuff has such a delicious flavor. If only it were not so excessively sweet - it makes my teeth hurt."

I can't say I've ever deliberately tasted HFCS - have only used corn syrup in certain recipes that call for it.

Finally, ERD50, if bee parts are the benefits, you could get even more benefit by simply eating one dead bee. Just catch it as it exits a flower and its little legs are full of pollen. I suppose you could put some honey on the bee to make it taste better. :LOL:

As far as sweetness, honey has the same glucose/fructose ratio as the often vilified "high fructose corn syrup".

Is there any scientific evidence that the 'many other ingredients' in honey are beneficial? Is there really enough bees wings and legs, and traces of pollen and bees wax to have an effect?

I don't use much in the way of sweeteners myself, but honey can be a very tasty thing on some foods, on occasion. And the 'real', and less refined grades of maple syrup.

-ERD50

Here's what I do when selecting ANY product with sugar, from any source.

ONE TEASPOON of sugar equals @ 4 grams. (Look at your sugar bag label).

I just look at any label, take the sugar in grams per serving, divide by 4, and ask myself if I would scoop that many teaspoons of sugar out of a sugar bowl and eat it.

Example: 8 oz of skim milk (healthy, right?) has 12 grams of sugar (3 teaspoons!!)

8 oz. orange juice....24-30 grams of sugar (YIKES!!!) 6-8 teaspoons!!!!!!

So a nice glass of skim milk and a glass of OJ for breakfast....9-11 teaspoons of sugar!!! Scoop that out of the sugar bowl onto your counter and say would I EAT all that sugar?!?!?!!?!? And you haven't even added your cereal yet!!!

Regular Pepsi: ONE 12oz can.....41 grams of sugar (TEN plus teaspoons!!!)

This method will REALLY make you think!!!!

Look at items in your cupboards and use this calculation per serving.

It's frightening to think just how much sugar one does consume, naturally occurring or added.

Example: 8 oz of skim milk (healthy, right?) has 12 grams of sugar (3 teaspoons!!)

Milk is healthy. How come other animals don't drink milk in adulthood? Maybe people shouldn't?

Your points valid. Sugar, natural or added, is all around us. The labels support the new USDA recommendation of less than 10% of our calories come from added sugars. Brings the USDA and WHO(5%?) recommended amounts closer.

An apple is four-to-six teaspoons of sugar, water, a tiny amount of fiber, and a tinier amount of vitamins.

apple.jpg

Apple-with-nutrition-facts-on-100-Days-of-RealFood1.jpg

The idea that whole fruits are magically better than their component parts is based on faulty reasoning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom