Amazing Weight Loss/Lifestyle Transformation

It's basically calories in vs calories out. Simple ! !

It really isn't basic or simple.

https://www.drkarafitzgerald.com/20...osis-calorie-counting-weight-loss-resistance/

David Ludwig: I suggest completely abandoning calorie counting as a way to control calorie balance. First off, no one, not even professionals, can do it accurately without elaborate technology. An error of +350 kcal per day (within typical error range) would produce massive obesity in a few years. For that matter, if calorie counting were critical to weight management, how did humans manage to avoid massive swings in body weight, before the very concept of the calorie was invented a century ago? Instead, we put the entire focus on creating the right internal conditions for weight loss (right diet and related supports), and let the process happen naturally — with the body’s active cooperation, not with the body kicking a screaming.

Below, emphasis mine:

The problem with foods that make people fat isn’t that they have too many calories, says Dr. Ludwig. It’s that they cause a cascade of reactions in the body that promote fat storage and make people overeat. Processed carbohydrates—foods like chips, soda, crackers, and even white rice—digest quickly into sugar and increase levels of the hormone insulin.

Last edited:
Healthy eating with proper portion control combined with exercise and an active lifestyle is all that I've ever had to do to maintain a healthy weight. Perhaps I'm just genetically lucky, or perhaps my definition of healthy eating and exercise goes well beyond the minimum or average.

Same here, in fact I struggled to gain weight in my early 20's because the job I wanted had a minimum weight requirement at the time. Yet my older sister even in high school, and later my younger sister after two kids, struggle to control their weight.

I remember my older sister's reply to my lamenting that it was so hard for me to gain weight. "I hate you. You skip a meal and you lose five pounds, and if I so much as look at a piece of cake I gain five." (She wasn't serious, just venting frustration.)

It wasn't far from the truth. I've kind of concluded that the genes one inherits and the metabolism have a lot to do with it. Lifestyle and diet matter a lot of course, but I think that's not the whole story.

the genes one inherits and the metabolism have a lot to do with it. Lifestyle and diet matter a lot of course, but I think that's not the whole story.

Boy, ain't that the truth?

At the last place I w*rked, we had a little cafeteria in the building. Every day at lunchtime I would get very modest portions and try to eat more or less healthy.

Then my tall, thin boss would come in, load up his tray with massive portions of everything and sit down at my table. I used to tell him how much I hated his metabolism, and he would just shrug and say he didn't understand it but he had always been that way.

Boy, ain't that the truth?

At the last place I w*rked, we had a little cafeteria in the building. Every day at lunchtime I would get very modest portions and try to eat more or less healthy.

Then my tall, thin boss would come in, load up his tray with massive portions of everything and sit down at my table. I used to tell him how much I hated his metabolism, and he would just shrug and say he didn't understand it but he had always been that way.
A related note, after logging and calorie counting for 18 months boom, my metabolism changed! It coincided with having to go back on a beta blocker, and a much lower heart rate! From the last 6 month's of data, in order to stay the same weight I'm consuming 250 less calories daily.

Last edited:
Re "basic and simple" calories in / calories out. Yes, I agree that they should be the right calories. Re metabolism, I can see that being affected by certain drugs. But I think some use it as an excuse. For 6 years I used the fact that I quit smoking and had a total hysterectomy on the same day as an excuse for me gaining 10 lbs a year. "oh my metabolism got totally screwed that day ...". Um ... no, my MOUTH got totally screwed up ... and my hands didn't help ! So while "calories in vs calories out" may not work for everyone I'd bet it works for the vast majority. YMMV of course

I think the two doctors cited above (who I respect tremendously) are futzing with semantics a bit. At the very base, it certainly is calories in calories out. But there's a huge difference between the 200ish calories of two eggs fried in butter and 200 calories' worth of Skittles, and how your body processes them.

And yes, there are studies that you can eat some higher amount of additional calories on HFLC (high fat low carb) diets and still lose weight compared to low-fat diets. And of course counting calories is an inexact science. Which is why "intuitive eating" is another good arrow for the quiver--really learning to only eat when truly hungry (not just bored or craving) and learning to stop when satisfied, not stuffed. For some people, that's laughable, because that's what they always do, but for a whole lot of other people, it requires serious retraining of how you eat. (It also works well with intermittent fasting, ie, not having your first meal of the day until you are truly hungry and in need of caloric energy.)

My favorite example of screwy 'official' dietary advice: Until 2010 a certain chocolaty sugar bomb cereal actually carried a label on it telling the buyer is was healthy for the heart. You can't make this stuff up!

Apparently, you can make this stuff up.

Last edited:
I'm down about 30 lbs since I retired. Mainly due to a partial paleo diet, eating less volume with more healthy foods, and a lot more exercise. I've been at it long enough now that it has become a lifestyle transformation.

My favorite example of screwy 'official' dietary advice: Until 2010 a certain chocolaty sugar bomb cereal actually carried a label on it telling the buyer is was healthy for the heart. You can't make this stuff up!

I certainly did not make this up. It did change about 2010, IIRC.

Is Cocoa Puffs no longer heart healthy?

No, no, no. Sorry, I wasn't clear. "You" was not referring to you, (i.e. Chuckanut). I should have written: "Well, someone made it up." I was using "you" as you were using "you." Bless my heart.

(It also works well with intermittent fasting, ie, not having your first meal of the day until you are truly hungry and in need of caloric energy.)

I always have breakfast...it's already been 12 hours since I last ate and I prefer to space my meals out rather than have large gaps with no food intake. Also, going too long between meals trains your body to save calories, which is the last thing one needs if their trying to lose weight.

Back
Top Bottom