Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Americans Not Eating Enough Fruits and Veggies
Old 03-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Typical dinner time salad: romaine lettuce, tomatoes, a little onion or red or yellow pepper, avocado, cucumber, olives and blueberries or strawberries with olive oil vinegrette. We usually have meat and a vegi such as green beans or cauliflower as well. Breakfast is eggs and/or meat and melon and/or berries. Lunch is usually a low carb wrap with turkey or some such and lettuce with some fruit on the side. I save pasta or pizza for a cheat day treat once or twice a week.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Most people could get at least 7 veggie servings in the salad they have for lunch or dinner.
Probably so.. but it sounds daunting! It makes anyone who is interested have to go through those extra and unnecessary calculations. When instead they could just be realistic about what constitutes a "serving" and say eat maximum 1-2 real-life servings of eggs/meat/fish/cheese per day and minimum 2-3 servings of fruit/veg?

That would likely make more sense to people... and that's how we ourselves try to eat. [We are nowhere near as virtuous as windsurf.. pasta is our std. lunch.. but we then stick to just meat/fish & a good helping of veg. at dinner... windsurf-- sounds delish outside of the olive/blueberry combo! ]

I don't see the usefulness of making all the 'servings' miniscule and then saying eat twenty-three of them throughout the day.

I think the "baby" carrots are actually just regular carrots pared down on an industrial lathe (not kidding). I can see the convenience factor: my sis doles them out to her 3-y.o. who loves them with a bit of French dressing. She (the toddler) calls this her "salad"! We're happy that she asks for at least this one healthy thing in addition to the Pop-Tarts, etc. that Dad brings home to buy their love appease them.
---

Apropos of nothing.. A funny kid word-coining by my 5 y.o. nephew:
a toddler who is 2 = a "toodler"

Old 03-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
I think the "baby" carrots are actually just regular carrots pared down on an industrial lathe (not kidding).
That's why I put "baby" in quotes. I've seen a "making of baby carrots" on discovery channel or somewhere. They basically grow long, slender carrots, then cut them using blades or high pressure water. They are then machine polished to remove the peel and round them on the ends. They seem to be more tender than the large carrots though, probably because they come from skinny carrots.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Apropos of nothing.. A funny kid word-coining by my 5 y.o. nephew:
a toddler who is 2 = a "toodler"
Good one. Can we borrow that for our kid's commedy routine?

Speaking of baby carrots, what's the deal with baby corn? Is that some kind of mutant veggie? And why is OK to eat the whole cob?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2

heh heh heh - Kansas City BBQ anyone? - .
If I am ever back there you are on for this and my treat too. Some years back I spent a week or so visiting a buddy who was a floor trader on the KC B.O.T. We ate that excellent barbecue till we couldn't walk anymore.

MacDonalds egg mcmuffin for b'fast, and barbecue for all other eating opportunities!

Ha

Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #26

Quote:

But we all know that's not really so. I don't really know how they come up with it, but it's kinda screwy. Let's say I open a pack of Ramen noodles for a quick lunch. But, hey! That's TWO "servings"! What a pig I am! I should go on a diet and eat more fruit and veg.. but they say I should eat NINE SERVINGS a day (four of fruit and five of veg.). No way am I going to be able to cram in nine...! ...so I just shrug and enjoy my noodles.

Smoothies are the answer to getting lots of veges and fruits. Believe me when I say that a green smoothie is delicious! Blend an orange, a banana, 1/2 cup of water, three ice cubes and a bunch of spinich and try it. I drink these all the time. It's green but tastes like fruit. There are a million variations. Often I add whey powder for protein and it's a meal.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Eating healthier has been one of my "preparations" for ER. Who wants to retire and be so sick or fat that they can't enjoy life!

I usually have fresh or dried fruit on high fiber cereal in the morning, and a glass of orange juice (2 fruits). Then, some kind of veggie for a morning snack, followed by a salad and more fruit for lunch. Dinner, will include at least one veggie, usually 2. Eating like this, it's not too hard to meet the goals....weekends, however, things tend to break down.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Too late for me - thirty years in New Orleans:

'Ya want that fried shrimp Po-boy dressed Dar -Lin?'

Yeah you rite!
YEAH!!! I just had that for lunch Sunday!!! We have a cajun restaurant about 6 miles west of town, and go there fairly regularly! LOVE IT!!! The owner moved here for Lake Charles to start the restaurant...his family is still there...as is his heart!!! But his cookin' is HERE!!! And it is GREAT!!! He uses his Momma's and Grandmomma's recipes. And everything is fresh...not canned or packaged.

And for them what don't like 'real' food....I think he has "Hamburger" on the menu too, but that's the extent of the yankee food!

http://tinyurl.com/2bghpt
Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hell I eat anything long as it is good Veggies/meat/tofu/etc. Probably why i hit the treadmill and run a bit more than most
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I can hardly even name 7 fruits and veggies. If I tried to eat that many each day I'd be eating the same thing every day. Seems like that would get boring quick. Like after the second day.

I prefer to feed the fruits and veggies to a pig and then eat the pig.