Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Does anyone have a link to an actual study? Fidelity publishes this yearly, their current estimate is "only" $220k for a couple. They have plenty of footnotes but no actual study I can find. They consider Medicare A,B and D but make no reference to supplemental policies. They also talk "average costs" and I would like to see the median estimate.
Good point on medians vs. means.

Here's one study, although it just gives averages:

It lists estimated average per capita expenditure in 2010 as $8300 (for ages 55 to 64), which is closer to my expectations but still high. It's from the same institute that is quoted in the article I referenced, which is weird, since the amount quoted there is 50% higher (12K, roughly).

ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
"Here's one study, although it just gives averages:"

The problem is no one is really an average when it comes to health care. You are one heartbeat away from your doc telling you that you will have just become a major consumer of health care services. In my case $250k worth.

If you want to protect your FI the only thing you can plan on is how to maintain your health insurance. The problem now is that with the ACA, it is very complicated to plan during this transition period.

"Friendships must be built upon a solid foundation of alcohol, sarcasm, inappropriateness, and shenanigans"
- Anonymous

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, you're right of course; averages are just averages; they don't tell you what will happen in any particular case. I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues and high expenditures. I'm assuming you didn't have health insurance, or your condition wasn't covered somehow?

The best I can do, in my own situation, is add the costs of health insurance + out of pocket expenses and go from there. No one can really plan for a catastrophic event. As you say, you just have to have good health insurance in place.

It looks as if ACA will reduce the costs of health insurance for people over 40, although we'll have to wait and see how things really turn out.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here are some Canadian numbers for comparison. Annual costs of over $20K for octogenarians, eh? Gotta figure that into the SWR.....oh wait, it's already covered by taxes.

Canadians use average of $220,000 in public health care over lifetime - The Globe and Mail
This is why we have plans to move to Canada, even with higher taxes (which pays for universal health care). Now if only the cost of everyday living wasn't so high, which makes it harder to save for retirement there. These 2 things, in a sense, are tradeoffs.
Richard8655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
With a "30%" figure, remember that many retirees live on not too much more than their Social Security check. It wouldn't take much to consume 30% of that SS check plus a little meager interest from some CDs to go to healthcare.

Also, remember that just like the masses being oblivious to the fees of "financial planners" sucking 1%, 2% (or more) from their investments with high ER mutual funds, for many Americans its the same when it comes to healthcare: they simply blindly follow WHATEVER their doctor proscribes for drugs to treat their condition(s). Already taking 5 pills for 3 conditions, and have an undesirable side effect? Here's another script for a 6th pill to treat that side effect.

Many on this forum are self-sufficient and (to a great deal) fairly analytical when evaluating things. However, most in America are simple sheep that follow whatever someone in 'authority' (doctor, investment manager) tells them to do, and they assume they should do it. Add in the fact that you have an army of drug reps encouraging doctors to proscribe pills to treat everything as a first course of action, and many doctors would rather give you a pill because they have a drug rep at their office, AND it's easier to say "well, Mrs. Jane Doe died from heart failure because I gave her this FDA-approved pill", rather than say "Mrs. Jane Doe died from heart failure because I had her try this natural regime that I thought might work first, rather than immediately rush to give her a pill."

Many people simply have no desire to research for themselves, nor think that they might be better off slightly suffering from one condition without as many pills, rather than popping a handful of pills every morning to treat a myriad of other conditions and side effects. After all, just look at all of the sales of Big Pharma - all of those pills are being consumed by someone.
Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You could spend relatively trivial amounts on health care for 30 years, then develop Alzheimer's and run through $240K in nothing flat for home-health-care, nursing home care, etc.

Depressing, but most of us know someone it happened to.

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote