Join Early Retirement Today

AML/Myeloid Dysplasia
Old 08-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

AML/Myeloid Dysplasia

HI,

Would like to hear from anyone undergoing therapy for either of these
related conditions. Current chemo regimen, bone marrow tranplant
successes and failures, as well as things that might have worked well.

I have a nephew (age 31) who is currently undergoing chemo for myeloid
dysplasia (pre AML), and while I work in a related field, know very little
about current advances and conventional procedures/therapy here.
Rich... would value your insight/experience.

Steve
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwix98 View Post
HI,

I have a nephew (age 31) who is currently undergoing chemo for myeloid
dysplasia (pre AML), and while I work in a related field, know very little
about current advances and conventional procedures/therapy here.
Rich... would value your insight/experience.
Steve, sorry to learn of your young nephew. He has a battle ahead of him.

MDS (myelodysplasia) refers to the loss of function of the bone marrow, often with scar formation inside the marrow itself. In some cases it degenerates into leukemia, with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) being pretty common. AML and other leukemias are essentially liquid tumors and the out-of-control cells can land almost anywhere from the gums to the spleen to any organ.

Both are serious diseases with complicated biochemical and genetic subtypes that can guide treatment. Remissions can be induced with chemotherapy, but bone marrow transplant is likely to be discussed with someone so young. Its prognosis is very serious and transplant is often the primary source of hope.

I am sure he has been guided to a major medical center with a hematology program. BMT (bone marrow transplant) generally has the best outcomes at major centers like Fred Hutchinson in Seattle, Moffitt in Florida, MD Anderson in Houstaon to name a few.

Best of luck to him in his battle. I have seen numerous long-term survivors, though this is a serious situation.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote