Aneurysm

That is terrific news! I can't imagine having to go through all that.

I can't imagine having to go through all that.

Just heard from a buddy (known him for 34 years) he's 3 months younger than me, (he'll be 74 on Xmas Day), telling me that at age 38 his was misdiagnosed with lung cancer (he was working as a chemist at the time and they figure toxins from the lab must've skewed the test results....or somesuch).......he said "I'm sure I told you about that".....told him no I would have remembered...especially since we both lost wives to lung cancer.......

What a relief that must be, congrats Nemo on the good news!

I have typed the following from the report...(omitting 'unrelated' data).....it would appear I'm not in any immediate danger but would appreciate any insights you might have:

quote_img.gif
Quote:

Routine thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysm protocol was performed. IV contrast was administered.

The ascending aorta is ectatic but non aneurysmal...The common iliac arteries are also ectatic but not aneurysmal. The right measure 1.7 centimeters, and the left measures 1.5 centimeters...

Impression: Fusiform ectasia of the thoracic aorta and common iliac arteries as described above. No aneurysm.

++++++++
Well, I certainly don't know what you have, but apparently, whatever it is, it's causing you to misspell "lilac" and "ecstatic."
Guess that's small price to pay for being able to continue to live. Glad you are okay--because it's not so easy for me to find playmates.

Last edited:
I have typed the following from the report...(omitting 'unrelated' data).....it would appear I'm not in any immediate danger but would appreciate any insights you might have:

Ectasia means dilatation but obviously milder and less distinct than an aneurysm. Since they are on the same spectrum, it would be easy to misdiagnose an ectasia for a mild aneurysm.

Do you have Marfan's syndrome or tertiary syphilis?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annuloaortic_ectasia

The ascending aorta is ectatic but non aneurysmal...The common iliac arteries are also ectatic but not aneurysmal. The right measure 1.7 centimeters, and the left measures 1.5 centimeters...

Impression: Fusiform ectasia of the thoracic aorta and common iliac arteries as described above. No aneurysm.

Well, I certainly don't know what you have, but apparently, whatever it is, it's causing you to misspell "lilac" and "ecstatic."

No, Nemo2 is correct. Those are legitimate medical terms.

Do you have Marfan's syndrome or tertiary syphilis?

Neither. (I had never heard of Marfan's until I began researching, following the initial MRI report, and then it appeared & reappeared quite often.)

Thanks for the input Meadbh.

Edited to add: Can/do ectasia grow into aneurysms?

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of something I've observed: Medicine is a sport with participatory fans, someone loses, someone wins, the fans all have input but little at stake.

Syphilis ! My word, sir... you know they say that Lord Byron probably had syphilis just like you.... ;) Are you also "mad, bad and dangerous to know" ?

Syphilis ! My word, sir... you know they say that Lord Byron probably had syphilis just like you.... ;) Are you also "mad, bad and dangerous to know" ?

Syphilis? I though Meadbh was asking if I drank slivovitz! :facepalm:

File this under "They're watching you/us".......before the CT Scan, DW called, (without consciously identifying herself), the Medical Insurance company with whom we deal, and asked generic questions about coverage for her DH with a (we thought at the time) aneurysm small enough to be covered by their policies.

Following the CT Scan (and being in the clear) we filed for insurance online, paid, and were issued policy numbers........yesterday a phone call for me..."Your wife recently called for information regarding your aneurysm....."

Bottom line......just sent them copies of both the MRI & the CT Scan.......anonymity is a myth.

(On the bright side, after our doctor said "No follow up required", we'll now get a second opinion.)

File this under "They're watching you/us".......before the CT Scan, DW called, (without consciously identifying herself), the Medical Insurance company with whom we deal, and asked generic questions about coverage for her DH with a (we thought at the time) aneurysm small enough to be covered by their policies.

Following the CT Scan (and being in the clear) we filed for insurance online, paid, and were issued policy numbers........yesterday a phone call for me..."Your wife recently called for information regarding your aneurysm....."

Bottom line......just sent them copies of both the MRI & the CT Scan.......anonymity is a myth.

(On the bright side, after our doctor said "No follow up required", we'll now get a second opinion.)

Likely triggered by the incoming phone number automated-lookup.

Best to disclose everything. Want a good agent that can deal with that? We disclose everything and then they decide what needs to be communicated to the company.

Thanks for the happy news, Nemo! It just proves what my mother said: you let them scan your body and they find all kinds of stuff you didn't know about (and might not have wanted to know about). DH hurt his back in mid-June and the MRI turned up a potential aneurysm and a lung lesion.

I've never had a CAT scan, PET scan, MRI or anything of that ilk. I prefer it that way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom