Join Early Retirement Today

Angioplasty, Anyone?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Angioplasty, Anyone?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/15/he...html?th&emc=th

The widespread use of angioplasty may not be helpful if you've had a heart attack 3 or more days before. Primarily, angioplasty will stop further damage to the heart muscle, if you get it done in time.

Quote:

The 2,166 patients in the study had all suffered heart attacks 3 to 28 days before, caused by a completely blocked coronary artery. The median time since the heart attack was eight days. They were in stable condition and free of chest pain, and were picked at random to receive either heart medicines only or balloon treatment and stents with heart medicines. Most got plain metal stents, but about 8 percent got drug-coated ones. The researchers tracked their health for an average of three years.

There were no differences between the groups. They had the same rates of heart attack, death and heart failure. If anything, those who had angioplasty seemed to fare a bit worse than those who did not, but the differences were not statistically significant and might have been because of chance, Dr. Hochman said.

An expert not involved in the research, Dr. Steven E. Nissen, chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic and president of the American College of Cardiology, said the study was independent and well conducted.

“Having an artery open ought to be good for you,” Dr. Nissen said. “Why not open it late? Like a lot of things in medicine, however, when you actually test it in an organized way, in a randomized, controlled trial, you find out it doesn’t work.”

He added, “It will change what I do.”

In an editorial accompanying the study in the journal, two other cardiologists say that late angioplasty may still be worthwhile for some patients. The ones who might benefit, they say, are a small minority — perhaps 10 to 15 percent — who cannot take the class of heart medicines known as beta blockers, which have been proved to increase survival after a heart attack.

A spokesman for Boston Scientific, the leading stent maker in the United States, said Dr. Hochman’s study would not have much impact because the findings applied to only a small subgroup of patients. But the company’s stock price dropped sharply yesterday morning when news of Dr. Hochman’s study first hit the news. It recovered by the end of the day, however, as analysts said the findings were likely to have little effect on stent use. By late afternoon, the rally had wiped out all the morning losses. Boston Scientific ended trading at $15.94, up 8 cents.
UNQUOTE

You did notice that last line. It is about the money, n'cest pas?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Angioplasty, Anyone?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't worry; the cardiologists will find a way to ignore this research.

"Let’s see, how many angioplasties do I need to meet my multiple alimony payments? And how many scrips for a beta-blocker? On reflection, I don't think this research is quite relevant to my patient population."

Ha
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The more interesting news is that many hospitals dont follow the guidelines for the heart medications.
Many states now make hospitals post this information on the net. Just search beta blocker and your hospital and its likely to appear.
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote