Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Another one who agrees with this doc....

I was surprised by my last visit with my doc... I had to change plans and he is not on my new one... he asked if I had a HD plan... yes... so he said, 'if you come here I will only charge you $50 to $70 for a visit and the actual cost to me of any tests'... said to use the insurance for any major issues that might arise... thought that was good of him to do that and I will be going back to him... save my 3 'cheap' visits a year to my primary care doc to something else that happens to me....
That's about what we pay for most sick visits after insurance. He's probably happy to get $50-70 cash (or CC payment) on the barrelhead and not have to file insurance, fight with them, refile, etc. Just for $50-70.

With our HD plan, they would have to file, wait a month or two, balance bill us at the negotiated rate, not everyone pays on time (though we do), and then wait for the $ to roll in 90-120+ days after the office visit.

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am really curious what the doctors and nurse opinions are on this study.
I switched from standard Kaiser grandfathered plan that was almost $400/month to a HD plan that is $170, but includes nothing, not even a annual physical. Kaiser told me the normal cost for Dr. visit was $125-$150 and the blood work and such I think will run another $100-150. For the 230/month I am saving I figured an annual doctor visit was perfectly reasonable, but do I even need to go?

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
That article is based on a paper which says "We did not include geriatric trials."

It goes on to say that they found that mortality from cardiovascular issues and cancer were not correlated with an annual physical for the people in the studies, but we don't know what the ages of the participants were, and they don't say in the summary that annual physicals were uniformly not useful across all ages.

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote