Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You have to inspect a lot of normal walnuts to know when there's a problem one. So just think of it as taking one for science and the skill of your practitioner.
Reminds me of the PCP I had years back who, as he was preparing to do a DRE asked if I wanted him to use two fingers. When I responded, "Heck no, why would you do that?", his deadpan response was, "In case you wanted a second opinion."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
When it's a medical matter, the doctor goes to neutral mode ;-). Remember, there are male gynecologists!
No I mean she might think I'm insisting cause I get a thrill from it or something. I know Dr.s don't care about that stuff, but pretty much nobody really wants a DRE so when the Dr. says it's not necessary and you insist it might seem odd? Probably just my imagination.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"In case you wanted a second opinion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
... pretty much nobody really wants a DRE so when the Dr. says it's not necessary and you insist it might seem odd?
I'd never ask for a DRE if the doctor was not in the habit of doing them routinely. Not for the reason you expressed. I feel that the test would be worthless...the practitioner that doesn't routinely do them won't be practiced / skilled / confident enough to determine if there's a problem.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[emoji23]

i'd never ask for a dre if the doctor was not in the habit of doing them routinely. Not for the reason you expressed. I feel that the test would be worthless...the practitioner that doesn't routinely do them won't be practiced / skilled / confident enough to determine if there's a problem.
+10000
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I'd never ask for a DRE if the doctor was not in the habit of doing them routinely. Not for the reason you expressed. I feel that the test would be worthless...the practitioner that doesn't routinely do them won't be practiced / skilled / confident enough to determine if there's a problem.
My PCP handed that job over to my urologist a while back with that explanation.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 Bamaman

Plus, ladies: keep self-checking! I was religious about annual mammograms and, months after a "no problems" mammogram, found my tennis-ball size Stage II breast tumor through self-exam.

(Shout-out to fellow cancer survivors <3 )
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

She did them for years then stopped when someone decided they were worthless.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I cannot stress the importance of men and women getting first class yearly physicals
There's actually quite a bit of questioning about that these days.

Some Doctors are arguing that annual physical exams are wasteful and ineffective. For example in the New England Journal of Medicine:

Quote:
Annual physicals do not reduce morbidity or mortality, and they waste time and money

Certainly if you are at risk for something, get checked for it regularly, but for may folks it's as waste of time and money. False positives are a real thing.

Talking it over with your Doctor (at your next annual checkup) might be a good idea...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
+1 Bamaman

Plus, ladies: keep self-checking! I was religious about annual mammograms and, months after a "no problems" mammogram, found my tennis-ball size Stage II breast tumor through self-exam.

(Shout-out to fellow cancer survivors <3 )
During my routine annual physical exam my physician noticed that my spleen was enlarged. A few tests later I found out that I had splenic marginal zone lymphoma. 16 month of treatments later, I am currently cancer-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
There's actually quite a bit of questioning about that these days.

Some Doctors are arguing that annual physical exams are wasteful and ineffective.
Maybe I would have noticed my cancer on my own in time. Maybe not.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #30

Whenever some policy making body decides "X" is not effective, it means that the costs don't justify whatever net benefit "X" produces. That means they put a dollar value on a human life. I'm not sure I like that idea. I can't imagine not knowing something about my personal situation would ever be better than knowing. Let ME judge whether the intervention has too much risk or would be non-actionable.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Whenever some policy making body decides "X" is not effective, it means that the costs don't justify whatever net benefit "X" produces. That means they put a dollar value on a human life. I'm not sure I like that idea. I can't imagine not knowing something about my personal situation would ever be better than knowing. Let ME judge whether the intervention has too much risk or would be non-actionable.

I completely agree. We are very diligent about getting annual physicals. However, my GYN doc only gives Pap smears every 3 years now.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
That means they put a dollar value on a human life. I'm not sure I like that idea.
Everyone does that - you too.

Quote:
I can't imagine not knowing something about my personal situation would ever be better than knowing. Let ME judge whether the intervention has too much risk or would be non-actionable.
As long as you are willing to pay for it, you can always decide on whatever interventions you prefer.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I completely agree. We are very diligent about getting annual physicals. However, my GYN doc only gives Pap smears every 3 years now.
Is it against the law to have a Pap smear every year where you live?
Or are you really just saying that you would have to pay for them?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I think I have a good balance for my own situation- I'm 66 and am in VERY good health but at this age you can't assume everything is fine just because you feel good.

1. Regular mammograms plus some extra screening since I'm high-risk- mother died of BC and sister was diagnosed at age 63 and had a total mastectomy.

2. Colonoscopies every 5 years; home test midway between since I have a history of polyps. I know the test is only an indication but it's cheap and non-invasive.

3. Gyno exam every year although she now does Pap smears only every other year and my sister (also a gyno) says that at my age they aren't recommended at all. She also reviews the results of my bloodwork and urinalysis, which I now get through RequestaTest.com because it's no BS and the pricing is transparent. I also need access to someone who can renew my only prescription, which deals with a very annoying side effect of menopause.

I haven't seen my PCP in years; mostly he just tried to put me on statins for high cholesterol even though I ended up with awful tendonitis the one time I took them. Gyno isn't as excited because she says that what's driving it is my HDL (the good stuff) of 110.

I'm comfortable with this; I feel like the biggest risks are being monitored and anything unanticipated is likely to show up in blood or urine or just through a general change in how I feel.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #35

Quote:
I can't imagine not knowing something about my personal situation would ever be better than knowing.
Actually, a good time to not know something is when a test would have returned a false positive. FPs happen way more than you'd expect.

Often FPs lead to expensive and sometimes invasive followup tests.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Actually, a good time to not know something is when a test would have returned a false positive. FPs happen way more than you'd expect.

Often FPs lead to expensive and sometimes invasive followup tests.
My late mother said you should never let them scan your body because they'll always find something.

I have gotten an order for a bone density test because my BMI hovers just around 19, which is on the low side and could put me at risk for osteoporosis. I already know I won't take bone density supplements; my dentist tells me they'd make me a poor candidate for future dental implants and since I already have a few and there are likely more to come (I vastly prefer them to crowns and bridges) I don't want to cut off that option. If I know my bone density is low I'll try and tweak diet and supplements- I already get plenty of exercise. Better to have the facts.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My late mother said you should never let them scan your body because they'll always find something.

I have gotten an order for a bone density test because my BMI hovers just around 19, which is on the low side and could put me at risk for osteoporosis. I already know I won't take bone density supplements; my dentist tells me they'd make me a poor candidate for future dental implants and since I already have a few and there are likely more to come (I vastly prefer them to crowns and bridges) I don't want to cut off that option. If I know my bone density is low I'll try and tweak diet and supplements- I already get plenty of exercise. Better to have the facts.

That reasoning (your moms) is like equating to “I’d rather my cancer is stage 5 than stage 2 when I find out”. Bad news is bad news. I’d rather have it sooner than later.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
That reasoning (your moms) is like equating to “I’d rather my cancer is stage 5 than stage 2 when I find out”. Bad news is bad news. I’d rather have it sooner than later.
You'll have to forgive me my cynicism but my mother first had BC at age 78, when it went undetected by a mammogram (she found a lump) and chose palliative care only when it recurred at age 85- also with a negative mammogram. My sister, an OB-Gyn, had a negative mammo last year and insisted on an MRI and they found a tiny tumor. She elected a double mastectomy.

Yes, I know, those are false NEGATIVES- but when DH was dying of AML (he died the month after my mother) he had a bad fall and a scan disclosed possible non-small cell carcinoma in a spot on his lung and a potential aortic aneurysm. They wanted to to treat them! His oncologist said a biopsy of the lung spot would likely lead to a fatal infection.

So... I approach testing with a healthy skepticism. I'm 66 and have never had a CT scan, a stress test nor an EKG. No doc has ever suggested one and I'm not going to rock the boat.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Routine care:
Dental exam and cleaning every 6 months
Full Womens Annual and blood work yearly with CNM
Annual mammogram, regular and 3D due to past lumpectomy/biopsy (negative!)
See PCP about once a year, usually for illness, and he reviews and updates anything that hasn't been done. (dexa scan x1, colonoscopy every 5 years, endoscopy yearly as needed for esophageal strictures due to schatzki ring)
Feel pretty darn healthy!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully this is not too much of a tangent, but along with an annual physical, has anyone chosen to also get one of the "total body scans" or "virtual physicals" I hear advertised, and found it beneficial? I tend to be wary of these things. I have thought about doing it just for grins (another way to Blow that Dough? ), but am interested in hearing experiences.