Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Another "bend over" Open enrollment
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Another "bend over" Open enrollment

Looks like we get the trifecta this year in our health insurance open enrollment:

1 -- Our premiums are rising 19%
2 -- Our deductible is rising by $500
3 -- Our out of pocket maximum is rising by $2000 (!!!)

And to add insult to injury, Megacorp is changing HSA custodians, so unless we want to start getting socked with the monthly fees we have to jump through the hoops to transfer the funds to the new custodian within the first two months of 2012. And oh, yes -- no raises in the last four years.

And no, the PPO isn't an option over the HSA unless we want to pay an extra $3500 a year for it.

Have I mentioned how much our health care system sucks?
__________________

__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
At least they threw in a free colonoscopy.

Seriously, that sucks! My megagovt job just did this. Apparently we young healthy employees are in the same risk pool as the retirees, so we get to help carry the load.

Luckily DW works for a megacorp that at least somewhat values its employees. So we get insurance through her. Coverage got slightly better (same $0 deductible, same low or zero copays as last year, but they added some stuff into the policy that I recall we might possibly use). Premiums went up $8 a month for family coverage to $108/month.
__________________

__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
At least they threw in a free colonoscopy.
Only if you've already hit the out of pocket maximum which goes from $4000 to $6000 next year...
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
I guess this is the cost of taking care of the uninsured. Mine went up last year for this years coverage and I haven't yet seen what the hit will be for 2012.
__________________
DFW_M5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 525
My company is "self insured" for health care costs but it is managed thru Cigna. It has been stated that the cost to the company has actually been declining the last several years but they have already advised our monthly premiums will be raised next year anyway to further reduce their costs.

They also told us that if the health care legislation goes thru they are strongly considering dropping health care coverage altogether and paying the $3,000 yearly penalty per employee because they will actually save money. This is no rumor mind you, this was stated by the corporate HR manager in a company wide meeting.

I wonder what they are thinking. How would they ever expect to compete for employees if the job market turns around? Current employees would bail for better benefits and prospective employees would pass them by. What a way to run a business.
__________________
***********
My motto is.... "a dollar saved is better than a dollar earned. I don't pay tax on the dollar I saved."
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
It appears to me, at least by reading various forums and people I talk to, that people currently working that are attached to company sponsored health insurance are getting walloped worse than those in the individual market this year. I wonder how much is directly the insurance premium increase, or the cost shifting to workers. I was surprised to learn from several friends their base company plan, is hardly any better than my own 5k individual deductible plan.
__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,812
We don't have all the details of MegaCorps 2012 insurance but we do know that anyone who uses tobacco who is covered has to pay an additional $500 towards coverage.
__________________

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
..............
I wonder what they are thinking. How would they ever expect to compete for employees if the job market turns around? Current employees would bail for better benefits and prospective employees would pass them by. What a way to run a business.
Yea, I'm kinda surprised people are not protesting in major cities over this corporate attitude.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
They also told us that if the health care legislation goes thru they are strongly considering dropping health care coverage altogether and paying the $3,000 yearly penalty per employee because they will actually save money. This is no rumor mind you, this was stated by the corporate HR manager in a company wide meeting.
My megagov employer should do the same. Right now they are subsidizing employees to the tune of $6000 per employee, and that gets us single coverage under a crappy policy.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,852
In 2012 I'll be paying twice as much as in 2011 for my particular prescriptions, or more if they go up in price. I'm not happy. I haven't even looked to see where else my plan is slashing their end of the deal. Price is $1.76/month less this year than last, but they are compensating by not paying out as much.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 48
Gosh after reading these responses, I feel really lucky with our retiree benefits. Mine cost me nothing a month with free preventive care and a $1200.00 annual deductible.

My DH's went down for 2012 from $30.00 a month to $9.00 a month with no deductible but $30.00 co-pay for office visits.

I ended up adding myself to his insuarance so I'll have dual coverage. If I need sick care, I can use his for what falls under my deductible.
__________________
sn2792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn2792 View Post
Gosh after reading these responses, I feel really lucky with our retiree benefits. Mine cost me nothing a month with free preventive care and a $1200.00 annual deductible.
I had the same thing deal this year, but for 2012 I have to pay $60 a month to maintain the same coverage. Enjoy it while ya got it............

Quote:
My DH's went down for 2012 from $30.00 a month to $9.00 a month with no deductible but $30.00 co-pay for office visits.

I ended up adding myself to his insurance so I'll have dual coverage. If I need sick care, I can use his for what falls under my deductible.
You may end up regretting having dual coverage. In my experience, you end up being the mediator while each company tries to pawn off the charges to the other.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had the same thing deal this year, but for 2012 I have to pay $60 a month to maintain the same coverage. Enjoy it while ya got it............

You may end up regretting having dual coverage. In my experience, you end up being the mediator while each company tries to pawn off the charges to the other.
So true - every time I go to the doc, they ask me if I have any other coverage and claim that I must use any other coverage first.....and then make me sign a statement to that fact.
__________________
Deserat aka Bridget
“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” - George Orwell/Winston Churchill
deserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
At least they threw in a free colonoscopy.

Seriously, that sucks! My megagovt job just did this. Apparently we young healthy employees are in the same risk pool as the retirees, so we get to help carry the load.

Luckily DW works for a megacorp that at least somewhat values its employees. So we get insurance through her. Coverage got slightly better (same $0 deductible, same low or zero copays as last year, but they added some stuff into the policy that I recall we might possibly use). Premiums went up $8 a month for family coverage to $108/month.

That may be true. But there is another bigger subsidy... is the non working dependent. both for employer provided healthcare, Medicare, and retirement plans.

The person that works pays for others. Families (other dependents) and non-working spouses (or uninsured spouses for employer based healthcare) are the beneficiary of the largest subsidy.

This is often overlooked. As the share of the burden gets shifted more and more to the employee... all of this will surface. So far some of the number I have seen put a relatively larger burden on a single insured person than a person who is covering dependents.

Birthing that baby and providing care till 26 is expensive.

Medicare and retirement plans... same thing for uncovered or non-working spouses.

Some of these things are policy related issues. But as people have to pay more of the burden, it will begin to be discussed.
__________________
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Just got my 2012 information:

Premium, no change at about $1100 per month; PPO, $2500 HSA deductible for family (just DW and me)

Without the HSA the premium rises by about $2500 per year.

Expensive but I'm not complaining - just glad I have access to it.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You may end up regretting having dual coverage. In my experience, you end up being the mediator while each company tries to pawn off the charges to the other.
Yep -- and these days, you also tend to pay a considerable premium for the insurance coverage, so a couple that has access to "dual health insurance" plans can often "opt out" of the inferior plan and save some money in the process -- as well as avoiding these kinds of hassles. And since most places will let you add health insurance midyear (i.e. not only during open enrollment) if your spouse loses their family coverage, it's not terribly risky.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
That may be true. But there is another bigger subsidy... is the non working dependent. both for employer provided healthcare, Medicare, and retirement plans.

The person that works pays for others. Families (other dependents) and non-working spouses (or uninsured spouses for employer based healthcare) are the beneficiary of the largest subsidy.

This is often overlooked. As the share of the burden gets shifted more and more to the employee... all of this will surface. So far some of the number I have seen put a relatively larger burden on a single insured person than a person who is covering dependents.

Birthing that baby and providing care till 26 is expensive.

Medicare and retirement plans... same thing for uncovered or non-working spouses.

Some of these things are policy related issues. But as people have to pay more of the burden, it will begin to be discussed.
Absolutely. At DW's company, they are undoubtedly eating that non-working spouse and kid expense. Employee only coverage is approximately free, and adding me+kids to her policy is what costs $1300/yr. But when we asked about COBRA costs, it was around $9000 to extra to insure me+kids on her policy. So they are eating $7700 in costs when an employee adds the +family coverage to their policy.

My former and current employer both place the burden of the +family coverage cost solely on the employee, and as a result the premiums are rather high to add that coverage.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
JmfromTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston/Galveston area
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Have I mentioned how much our health care system sucks?
I got my open enrollment Friday. The cost is the same but the deductible and out of pocket doubled. They blame rising costs, uncertainty about the new health care law ( they say there is evidence the new laws have already led to increased medical inflation) and the loss of the ERRP funding. The new health care laws are going to have a lot of unintended consequences IMO.
__________________
Retired 3/1/2011
JmfromTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.
toofrugalformycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmfromTx View Post
I got my open enrollment Friday. The cost is the same but the deductible and out of pocket doubled. They blame rising costs, uncertainty about the new health care law ( they say there is evidence the new laws have already led to increased medical inflation) and the loss of the ERRP funding. The new health care laws are going to have a lot of unintended consequences IMO.
Sorry your costs will rise. I'm wondering if they cite where the "evidence" is? Are private health insurance companies held to any standard of truthfulness when raising premiums, or limit on profit-taking? I really don't know.
__________________
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,328
Interesting, my premium went down about 1.5% this year for the same policy.

This begs the question of why our health coverage should be based on our employer. That makes no sense to me in this day and age. Much better to have a national system and be up front about the tax necessary to support it.
__________________

__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can open e-mail message be a problem? kaneohe Other topics 7 09-29-2011 11:05 PM
Can Sliding Patio Doors Be Secured Partially Open? haha Other topics 31 09-04-2011 06:50 PM
Buy individual shares or open a mutual fund for minor? 01drummer FIRE and Money 1 06-30-2011 11:26 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.