Join Early Retirement Today

Another Cholesterol Factor?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
gone traveling

Another Cholesterol Factor?

This article suggests your cholesterol may be higher in the Winter. I'll have to go back and see if any of my blood tests would confirm this finding.

Weather Linked to Changing Cholesterol Levels, Study Finds : Experts : Counsel & Heal
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
but they did not find whether these changes contributed to heart diseases or other complications.
An interesting finding. Thank you for posting this.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems plausible. I have read elsewhere blood pressure is higher in winter ( cold ) and more heart attacks in winter.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

Looking back at my tests, it could be. However they're more like spring and fall tests than summer and winter. I'll have to start delaying my physical into the summer and see if it helps.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
gone traveling

In reviewing my past blood tests, I can't come to any conclusion, probably due to differences in diet. In fact I found my lowest reading of all time was in Winter a few years ago.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speaking of Cholesterol, just watched this mockumentary of Supersize me. Lots of great information on the cholesterol debate. I for one will not touch a statin and don't buy into the cholesterol myth.

NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
I for one will not touch a statin and don't buy into the cholesterol myth.
My doc tells me that first, cholesterol is easy to measure, so they do. Second, that 90% of your cholesterol level is genetic and has nothing to do with what you eat. I was on statins for a while then learned what they can do to you. (Our local pharmacy has been offering free refills on generic Lipitor if you can believe that!)

I started taking niacin (nicotinic acid - 500mg) and my cholesterol test was as good as when I was on the statins. Then I cut the niacin down to 250mg and the tests stayed level.

Sure am enjoying those eggs and that cheese again!

Felix

Felix Mulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Mulier View Post
My doc tells me that first, cholesterol is easy to measure, so they do. Second, that 90% of your cholesterol level is genetic and has nothing to do with what you eat. I was on statins for a while then learned what they can do to you. (Our local pharmacy has been offering free refills on generic Lipitor if you can believe that!)

I started taking niacin (nicotinic acid - 500mg) and my cholesterol test was as good as when I was on the statins. Then I cut the niacin down to 250mg and the tests stayed level.

Sure am enjoying those eggs and that cheese again!

Don't forget to throw in some bacon every now and then. A day without swine is like a day without sunshine.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully my Mevacor keeps it in check during the winter. But the study makes sense as I eat lighter during the warm months and walk more then.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #10

Interesting article from OP. Adds to other info that cholesterol measurements are somewhat variable even in same person, so statistics suggests that multiple measurements are prob needed to document a significant change (e.g. with diet, exercise, meds, whatever).

BTW- Supersize Me was entertainment, not real science. While not the whole story, cholesterol risk is NOT a myth. But it is now known the story is more complicated that just gross cholesterol level. It is types of cholesterol (LDL, VLDL, HDL, etc.) that more closely correlate with cardiovascular risk, and most evidence indicates control can affect that risk. Recent info from Cleveland Clinic (inc many references)-

Cardiovascular Disease Prevention
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't had my blood tested for 10 years or so but recently donated blood and got an email stating my cholesterol was measured at 137. I'm not sure how accurate they are, especially since it wasn't a typical blood test where you have to fast beforehand. But that's a big drop from the past where I always hovered around 170. Sometime this year I'll go in for a full workup. Now that I'm getting into my mid-40's I need to start keeping an eye on this.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Mulier View Post
My doc tells me that first, cholesterol is easy to measure, so they do. Second, that 90% of your cholesterol level is genetic and has nothing to do with what you eat.
I have a family history which is very unusual in its extreme lack of heart disease. Going back at least four generations, I can see no ancestors whose cause of death appears related to heart disease or heart attacks.

And while my cholesterol is not low (the total number is usually in the "borderline high" range, between 200 and 240), both my HDL levels (usually 65 to 70) and ratio of total cholesterol to HDL (between 3 and 3.5) are very favorable. I have to think that's a bit of genetic "good fortune" that at least partially explains our lack of heart problems in the family's medical history.

Obviously that doesn't mean I throw caution to the wind, but it does add a data point to suggest just how much of this may be genetic.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Seems plausible. I have read elsewhere blood pressure is higher in winter ( cold ) and more heart attacks in winter.
I thought this was because of closer proximity to family in the winter months

Actually, when I was in the ICU with my heart attack (the week before Thanksgiving, 2004), one of the nurses told me that the major holidays have higher emergency room heart attack arrivals, because people start having symptoms, but don't do anything because all the family is there, etc., and they end up being hauled off to the emergency room.
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote