Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
No, only about 3 pounds in last 5 years. 6'1 and weight 180, definitely not overweight, but I have really had to cut back eating since I am not as active. And that is tough because I love to eat! I bet I could gain 20 pounds in 2 months though if I ate like I did before I retired. Getting older in itself probably doesn't help the ol metabolism either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry, I didn't mean to pry.

I was just attempting a joke on the fact your auto-correct put "sedimentary" instead of "sedentary".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Another duh! health study
Old 11-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another duh! health study

Old 11-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to pry.

I was just attempting a joke on the fact your auto-correct put "sedimentary" instead of "sedentary".

See, I think about eating so much I cant even concentrate enough to spell correctly or catch a joke!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Sadly, bad habits are a lot easier to maintain than good habits.
Probably so, but there are a lot of people around who live very stable healthy habits. You just have to be clear about what you are after. Everyone says he wants to be healthy, but health is something that is only partially under our control. You can be a marathoner and have cancer nevertheless. My goal is clear, and I have never failed to maintain it. I want to to be lean. I hope this improves my health, but I know that it improves my appearance. Once you get a few years on you, no one expects you to look like you are young. I don't think there is any area of life where one gets a bigger bang for the buck as in maintaining an attractive body, and job number one here is weight control, and at least moderate muscle firmness. Very important inner changes can follow from this very straightforward essentially superficial goal.

For most of us, once past 35 or 40, to be lean means to be very aware of what is going into our mouths. I am not interested in whether a diet, or portion control. or regular exercise is what people choose, though I know people who do something month after month and it never seems to work. I know what I do and I will do it forever. I consider much food to be almost like heroin for a middle aged, middle class American. Just stand back, avoid the risk, because just looking around shows us that although fattening food can be avoided, it generally cannot be limited effectively enough to stay lean. This is a struggle this is best finessed.

Ha
Old 11-08-2015, 07:04 AM   #25

Maybe it's an evolutionary thing, and being overweight is the state that we naturally strive for. Back in the hunting and gathering days, people would eat whenever they found food, but food was scarce and they burned a ton of calories looking for it. In the 19th century, it was cool to be overweight, since it indicated that a person had the means to afford lots of food, and that his or her work did not involve manual labor. When we grew up on TV dinners 50 years ago, a lot more people worked in manual labor than today. Now more people than ever sit at a desk, and food is more plentiful and affordable than ever, so...
Old 11-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Probably so, but there are a lot of people around who live very stable healthy habits. You just have to be clear about what you are after. Everyone says he wants to be healthy, but health is something that is only partially under our control. You can be a marathoner and have cancer nevertheless. My goal is clear, and I have never failed to maintain it. I want to to be lean. I hope this improves my health, but I know that it improves my appearance. Once you get a few years on you, no one expects you to look like you are young. I don't think there is any area of life where one gets a bigger bang for the buck as in maintaining an attractive body, and job number one here is weight control, and at least moderate muscle firmness. Very important inner changes can follow from this very straightforward essentially superficial goal.

For most of us, once past 35 or 40, to be lean means to be very aware of what is going into our mouths. I am not interested in whether a diet, or portion control. or regular exercise is what people choose, though I know people who do something month after month and it never seems to work. I know what I do and I will do it forever. I consider much food to be almost like heroin for a middle aged, middle class American. Just stand back, avoid the risk, because just looking around shows us that although fattening food can be avoided, it generally cannot be limited effectively enough to stay lean. This is a struggle this is best finessed.

Ha
+1. Like Ha I want to stay lean for two reasons: 1) you look and feel better, and 2) weight gains are correlated with poor health outcomes to a vastly greater degree than almost anything else outside of smoking. Loading up on the latest cholesterol lowering miracle drug may extend your life by a few days. Dropping 10% of your body fat may get you years and more importantly may improve the quality of those years. I slimmed down about 18% and have stayed lean for more than three years with very little effort. But I watch what I put in my mouth. In my particular case, paying attention to what I eat matters. I never even look at portion size or calorie counts. But this stuff seems to vary dramatically from person to person. Others swear by portion control. Try experimenting with what you eat. Measure your weight changes carefully and pay close attention to what foods work for you. An accurate scale is your friend.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
+2
Very well said. Being lean is a daily, concious choice involving many lifestyle tradeoffs, but one I am willing to continue to make. I get much pleasure in making healthy, good-for-us meals, I enjoy shopping for clothes because, dare I say, I look rather nice in my clothes, and DH and I truly enjoy our daily physical pursuits, often turning them into full day activities.

One other thing, a tradeoff I appreciate more and more as I get older and my metabolism slows, is each calorie I burn being physically active is a calorie I can then eat without gaining weight. Meaning that a beautiful five mile hike in a nearby canyon buys me 500 or so extra calories I can enjoy on top of my daily 'norm' without weight gain. This ying and yang is how we balance the joy of a good meal with the joy of being lean and energetic.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Getting past putting on fat in layers and the well thought-out ideas concerning weight gain and health....I thought a little bit about the OP study and wondered a bit. Might it have gone something like this?

Study Doc: Please step on the scale.
Study Participant: (gets on scale)
Study Doc: Raises eyebrows. Ok, fill out the paper.
Study Participant: (reads paper..."how much junk food do you eat")
Study Participant: (thinking..."we've been told our whole lives eating junk food makes you fat. I'm fat. But I'm not going to confirm that I'm fat AND stupid! I'm going to write down less junk food than I really eat".

That study was cheap to run and gave nothing but a stupid headline.

How about this as a non-cheap but telling study...grab a cohort, split 'em in half randomly, then give one half grocery store credits for only soda pop, candy, and the like. Give the other half grocery store credits for any food except soda pop, candy and the like. Give the candy half coupons to McDonalds and give the other half coupons to a healthy restaurant (if there is such a thing). I think most everyone here could predict the outcome, which would be just the opposite of what the OP study indicated.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #29

There's not one single cause for our overeating...

We mindlessly eat salty snacks that have large calorie counts with little nutritional value. How many of us can go through half a bag of Chex Mix without really thinking about it? I can.

Restaurants serve huge portions on gigantic plates to the point where some feel obligated to finish. No one needs a 16oz steak in one sitting or an 8oz burger, but lots of people will put one away... with fries on the side, no less. Grocers are in on it, selling 16oz steaks and oversized chicken breasts leading us to believe that's a proper portion size, when it isn't. Not many of us go home and cut that 16oz steak into two or three portions, but we should.

Lots of folks can easily put away a 22oz microbrew IPA bottle in a night without a problem... containing as many calories as a six-pack of Bud Light to boot.

We can eat sugars and simple carbs to satisfaction, but that satisfaction lasts much less time than eating protein or fat due to our body's insulin response. We start to feel hungry even though we're not.

Our bodies seek out nutrition naturally, but when we eat foods devoid of nutritional value, we seek out more food to try to fill that void.

We eat too fast such that we're still eating well after we've got the food we need at any given meal. We eat while watching TV or reading or doing other things which distract ourselves from the signals our bodies are trying to send to tell us we're satisfied.

We lose the battle at the grocery store when we buy the potato chips and reach for those instead of an apple.

All kinds of different reasons for obesity, most of which have to do with the food choices we make... not just the size of the plate we eat, but our body's ability to manage appetite which is artificially manipulated by foods with no nutritional value but lots of calories.

The problem is that it's not a simple fix. It's a whole host of things you have to do to properly control your weight... exercising more helps; choosing the right foods helps; eating proper portion sizes helps... but IMO you're not going to fix obesity by just changing one thing, and continuing to study the problem as if there's one single cause is a waste of resources. We already know the answer to this complex problem.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Nash, I wish it was just half a bag. I can tear up a whole big bag of chips in a day. I love that salt! I had to accept years ago, I just cant have them in my house. No restraint capabilities at all. About once a month I treat myself and buy a bag knowing there is no chance the bag will survive to the next day once it is opened.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nash, I wish it was just half a bag. I can tear up a whole big bag of chips in a day. I love that salt! I had to accept years ago, I just cant have them in my house. No restraint capabilities at all. About once a month I treat myself and buy a bag knowing there is no chance the bag will survive to the next day once it is opened.

I have to keep chips completely out of the house. Crunchy Cheetos are impossible. Yesterday DW made Toll House chocolate chip cookies with the grand kids. She sent the bulk of the home but left a can full - about a dozen cookies. They are gone. I figured that I would have less likelihood incorporating them if I just blew through them at one sitting than if I spaced them out over several days. And, if I spaced them out, I would have had several days of agony knowing that more were sitting in the fridge waiting for me.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have to keep chips completely out of the house. Crunchy Cheetos are impossible. Yesterday DW made Toll House chocolate chip cookies with the grand kids. She sent the bulk of the home but left a can full - about a dozen cookies. They are gone. I figured that I would have less likelihood incorporating them if I just blew through them at one sitting than if I spaced them out over several days. And, if I spaced them out, I would have had several days of agony knowing that more were sitting in the fridge waiting for me.

That is the truth...Better just to blow through and be done with it than get accustomed to the daily treat and try to break habit all over again. I tried that, and the daily treat just grows.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #33

Quote:
I really watch what I eat when I'm training as I try to maintain a weight a little below what's probably normal or fully long-term healthy for me. I can settle in around 155-160 eating pretty well and I think that's my good long term weight. I race between 145 and 150, so I cut alcohol, salty snacks, and sweets when I want to drop weight from "normal" to "race". Once race time is over, yeah... the Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper Kettle Cooked chips show up alongside the cheddar cheese chex mix and whatever IPA sounds good and I'll do that for a few weeks or months. But the vast majority of the time, I eat very healthfully and it's what you do the plurality of the time that matters most. In other words, you can have chips every once in a while so long as the overwhelming majority of your food choices are healthy.

I know I can't control eating those empty calories as well as I can other foods, so I keep them out of reach. I win the battle at the grocery store before I ever have to fight it at home.

I find that shopping shortly after a good meal makes it a lot easier to say no to the impulse purchases.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #34

I don't go down the dangerous aisles in the grocery store. My DH brings that stuff home, but fortunately we don't have similar junk food tastes. There is no way that I could keep salted pecans or macadamias in the house. He likes store bought cookies and those cookie/protein bar things which to me aren't even worth the trouble of walking to the pantry.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't go down the dangerous aisles in the grocery store.
..snip...
Too good, I do the same. Other than legumes, frozen veggies, and grains I don't go through the inner isles any more. Every thing I need to eat comes from the perimeter of the store. All the junk food is in the middle.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #36

Quote:
I don't go down the dangerous aisles in the grocery store. My DH brings that stuff home, but fortunately we don't have similar junk food tastes. There is no way that I could keep salted pecans or macadamias in the house. He likes store bought cookies and those cookie/protein bar things which to me aren't even worth the trouble of walking to the pantry.
Macadamias are actually some of the most nutritious nuts out there. It's hard to keep to one handful, but if you can they're really good for you.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Macadamias are actually some of the most nutritious nuts out there. It's hard to keep to one handful, but if you can they're really good for you.
I'm eating a huge amount of nuts these days, including macadamias, but I'm still losing weight.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm eating a huge amount of nuts these days, including macadamias, but I'm still losing weight.
+1 Nuts are a great snack food, though I have to pace myself. They do give a satisfying full feeling after eating them, as opposed to some snacks that just seem to disappear leaving me still hungry.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Nuts are one of my everyday foods. Again, I don't pay any attention to how much. I eat as much as I feel like. Currently I have cashews, almonds, pistachios. macadamias, and mixed nuts.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Nuts are one of my everyday foods. Again, I don't pay any attention to how much. I eat as much as I feel like. Currently I have cashews, almonds, pistachios. macadamias, and mixed nuts.

I need to do more of that. I like nuts, but they will always lose when competing with chips and candy whenever they magically appear in my cabinet.