Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, regarding the study in the OP, I've been losing some weight recently, even while still eating McDonalds and such. A triathlete friend of mine told me about an application called myfitnesspal, and I started using it. I'd always heard tracking your food and calories was helpful, but before these new apps getting the calorie count for foods was a major PITA. But using this app I've been able to drop 14 lbs. Still got about 30 to go. But I eat McDonald's, pizza, Taco Hell, etc. as well as healthier prepared at home foods and restaurants like Panera and Carrabbas. Basically as long as the calorie count stays below my target for losing a lb. every couple of weeks, I'm good. Doesn't matter what the food is. And as ElizabethT says, if I do some exercise or physical labor I get to eat some additional calories.

I've stopped logging my food recently what with our southern migration, but I plan to start back up once we're settled. I could decrease the calories and lose weight faster, but I figure it took me almost 40 years to get here, so taking a year or so to get back is reasonable. It lets me still enjoy my life food-wise, while making good incremental progress.

I don't know if the study I posted is legit or not, as far as who eats the higher percentage of junk food. But I do know that the only way to lose weight is to take in fewer calories than the number that would maintain or increase your weight. I really don't think it matters where the calories come from, as long as you avoid scurvy and rickets and such. Personally I try to stay away from too much bread and starch, but only because they stimulate me to eat a ton more of them. Even as a diabetic I don't see any particular impact on my blood sugar when I eat bread and starches, as long as I stay below my calorie target. That's been my experience, anyway.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, regarding the study in the OP, I've been losing some weight recently, even while still eating McDonalds and such. A triathlete friend of mine told me about an application called myfitnesspal, and I started using it. I'd always heard tracking your food and calories was helpful, but before these new apps getting the calorie count for foods was a major PITA. But using this app I've been able to drop 14 lbs. Still got about 30 to go. But I eat McDonald's, pizza, Taco Hell, etc. as well as healthier prepared at home foods and restaurants like Panera and Carrabbas. Basically as long as the calorie count stays below my target for losing a lb. every couple of weeks, I'm good. Doesn't matter what the food is. And as ElizabethT says, if I do some exercise or physical labor I get to eat some additional calories.

I've stopped logging my food recently what with our southern migration, but I plan to start back up once we're settled. I could decrease the calories and lose weight faster, but I figure it took me almost 40 years to get here, so taking a year or so to get back is reasonable. It lets me still enjoy my life food-wise, while making good incremental progress.

I don't know if the study I posted is legit or not, as far as who eats the higher percentage of junk food. But I do know that the only way to lose weight is to take in fewer calories than the number that would maintain or increase your weight. I really don't think it matters where the calories come from, as long as you avoid scurvy and rickets and such. Personally I try to stay away from too much bread and starch, but only because they stimulate me to eat a ton more of them. Even as a diabetic I don't see any particular impact on my blood sugar when I eat bread and starches, as long as I stay below my calorie target. That's been my experience, anyway.
Too funny harley, I started using MFP too. I thought someone here mentioned it in a thread. I agree it doesn't seem to matter where your calories come from but the amount for weight loss. I don't do well with self control if I'm eating ice creams and gooey chocolates so I don't bring those home.

Anyway I lost my last 21 pounds of my 50 pound goal using MFP. We were using Mapmywalk too for our walking exercise calories, until moving inside. I think MFP made loosing much easier and definitely I learned a lot about nutrition by using the application.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Too funny harley, I started using MFP too. I thought someone here mentioned it in a thread. I agree it doesn't seem to matter where your calories come from but the amount for weight loss. I don't do well with self control if I'm eating ice creams and gooey chocolates so I don't bring those home.

Anyway I lost my last 21 pounds of my 50 pound goal using MFP. We were using Mapmywalk too for our walking exercise calories, until moving inside. I think MFP made loosing much easier and definitely I learned a lot about nutrition by using the application.

I prefer MFP to other apps I've used; between that app and my Fitbit Flex, I've managed to lose a bit and find a routine that works for me.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Nuts.

They're good because if you eat them somewhat slowly, they'll fill you up pretty quickly from the fat and protein content. Most of the good nuts (macs, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, etc.) have other good nutritional properties and relatively good Omega 3-6-9 profiles (almonds being the exception to that, macs and walnuts are good sources of 3, almonds have more 6 which we already get too much of, really). They're a great snack, but they can be easy to overeat because you can just pop them.

I always take a handful, go elsewhere and eat them. That usually keeps me from just plugging through the whole bag of almonds/macs. I usually only do walnuts on oatmeal or salad.

Peanuts, on the other hand, are pretty much nutritionally worthless, and peanut butter should be avoided for the sugar content. But it's not a nut anyway!

My family runs a severe peanut allergy. I am not as severe as others, but for the longest time I avoided peanuts and all tree nuts. A few times I accidentally ingested some walnuts or almonds, and never seemed to have a problem. Then one day I told DW, "watch me for a minute." She asked why, and without warning her I ate a few raw almonds. She was pissed, but she wouldn't have let me try it otherwise... I had no reaction and now macs, almonds, and walnuts are a regular part of my diet. I avoid cashews because they're often a problem for people with even a mild peanut allergy.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope. It's the Kardashians.
Good one.

Silly me. And I was going to blame too much couch potato time watching football. How old fashioned.

heh heh heh - New Wife, great cook, moved closer to center of Kansas City and great restaurants. And dropping gym membership didn't help either. 195 to 165 and back to 182.

Of course it's really old age and time in ER.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Nuts are one of my everyday foods. Again, I don't pay any attention to how much. I eat as much as I feel like. Currently I have cashews, almonds, pistachios. macadamias, and mixed nuts.
Oh how I wish that I could eat them with abandon. Unfortunately they fatten me up like a pig fed acorns. Far too more-ish.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
+1 Nuts are a great snack food, though I have to pace myself. They do give a satisfying full feeling after eating them, as opposed to some snacks that just seem to disappear leaving me still hungry.
I suspect I'm not getting enough calories in my regular meals on my strict rotation diet. So when I snack, I eat the allowed nut-of-the-day. Fortunately, most tree nuts (and peanuts) are on my allowed list. I just rotate over 4 days.

And I'm actually eating an amazing amount of nuts. Like maybe a cup many days.

It's one of the few foods, besides fruit, that is quick and easy for me to snack on. Most of the foods on my list require prep, and I can't eat leftovers the next 3 days, so I can't just reach in the fridge for something prepared.

No gluten cuts out most bread type products. No dairy. No cheese. Pretty much no dips without dairy/cheese. Corn's allowed - but I've been avoiding popcorn and tortilla chips because I don't seem to feel that good afterwards. Occasionally have rice crackers - not much to them.

So nuts and the occasional fruit it is.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Peanuts, on the other hand, are pretty much nutritionally worthless, and peanut butter should be avoided for the sugar content. But it's not a nut anyway!
Peanuts are not nuts, that's true. But they definitely have nutritional value. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Peanuts are rich in essential nutrients. In a 100 g serving, peanuts provide 570 calories and are an excellent source (defined as more than 20% of the Daily Value, DV) of several B vitamins, vitamin E, several dietary minerals, such as manganese (95% DV), magnesium (52% DV) and phosphorus (48% DV), and dietary fiber. They also contain about 25 g protein per 100 g serving, a higher proportion than in many tree nuts.

New research shows peanuts, especially the skins, to have comparable polyphenol content of many fruits.

Peanut skins are a significant source of resveratrol, a phenolic under research for a variety of potential effects in humans.
I also agree that sugared up peanut butter should be avoided, but natural peanut butter, while not a huge favorite of mine, is not bad for you. It's more the bread and jelly that cause a problem for me. But a dab on an apple slice or celery stick is a nice treat.

I prefer peanuts to peanut butter. I'm going to try that "take a handful and walk away" idea. I can go through half a jar of peanuts without hardly noticing.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #49

Quote:
I really don't think it matters where the calories come from, as long as you avoid scurvy and rickets and such. Personally I try to stay away from too much bread and starch, but only because they stimulate me to eat a ton more of them.
See, I find that there's a conflict within those two sentences; the second sentence, very common, if not universal, is the reason I disagree with the first.

Not only does a refined carb calorie stimulate appetite more than other foods (not even much debated any more...high glycemic index ==> blood sugar roller-coaster ==> whacked-out appetite), those refined carbs affect gut microbiota. Exactly what that latter point means is under investigation, but I don't think it's nothing.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Peanuts are not nuts, that's true. But they definitely have nutritional value. From Wikipedia:

I also agree that sugared up peanut butter should be avoided, but natural peanut butter, while not a huge favorite of mine, is not bad for you. It's more the bread and jelly that cause a problem for me. But a dab on an apple slice or celery stick is a nice treat.

I prefer peanuts to peanut butter. I'm going to try that "take a handful and walk away" idea. I can go through half a jar of peanuts without hardly noticing.
For 32g (2 Tbsp) of my organic PB, which is just peanuts and salt, I'm seeing 6g of carbs and 1g of sugars. The rest is fat and protein.

I never thought of peanuts as high in sugar, but I'm not a carb counter.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
For 32g (2 Tbsp) of my organic PB, which is just peanuts and salt, I'm seeing 6g of carbs and 1g of sugars. The rest is fat and protein.

I never thought of peanuts as high in sugar, but I'm not a carb counter.
They aren't. But the name brands (Jif, Skippy, etc.) have added sugar. Still not a lot (3g vs. 1g). But more.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They aren't. But the name brands (Jif, Skippy, etc.) have added sugar. Still not a lot (3g vs. 1g). But more.
Not just sugar, but also used to be high in transfats because they added partially hydrogenated oil to keep them from separating and easy to stir. I don't know what fat they are adding these days.

But there are tons of peanut butter brands out there offering just peanuts and salt and nothing else. You do have to be willing to stir these.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not just sugar, but also used to be high in transfats because they added partially hydrogenated oil to keep them from separating and easy to stir. I don't know what fat they are adding these days.

But there are tons of peanut butter brands out there offering just peanuts and salt and nothing else. You do have to be willing to stir these.
I stir it once and then turn the jar upside down, never have to stir again.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I stir it once and then turn the jar upside down, never have to stir again.
We only stir once and then refrigerate. But it's a long stir!
Old 11-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nope. It's the Kardashians.
British man creates app that filters out all Kardashian news

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Peanut skins are a significant source of resveratrol, a phenolic under research for a variety of potential effects in humans.
Love peanuts, but I'll continue to use wine as the main source for resveratrol...

Old 11-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I use the Weight Watchers app. It's got a little twist that works for me. The "eat this, not that" type diets just make me obsess about the forbidden foods. Plus, the, um, "creative" explanations of physiology, anthropology, and whatever-ology used to justify them just annoy the heckout of the engineer in me.

The other part of losing weight successfully is to take slow so that you don't feel hungry or deprived and get tempted to binge.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
The other part of losing weight successfully is to take slow so that you don't feel hungry or deprived and get tempted to binge.
Or, as I've been training myself to recognize, if you screw up and binge, just shake it off and then keep on doing the right thing. I've found more success in accepting failure than I ever did in shooting for perfection.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or, as I've been training myself to recognize, if you screw up and binge, just shake it off and then keep on doing the right thing. I've found more success in accepting failure than I ever did in shooting for perfection.
I agree. At times I fall off the wagon and if I plan the fall myself, it's over and done with and I am back to eating well.

I have found the 80% rule works well for me. Eat healthfully 80% of the time and the other 20% don't worry as long as it's not a complete binge session. So, I know if I am going to eat an Aunt Mildred's place, where it will be heavy in carbs, sweets and especially her homemade pecan pie, I just make sure that meal is one of the 20%.

Of course, one must do what works for oneself. There is no one way.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Pretty much no dips without dairy/cheese.
This is pretty good stuff, for store-bought...