Another perspective on calorie restriction

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I know, I know, it's tough to get your health & science information from the New York magazine. But gosh this guy can write.

http://www.printthis.clickability.c...ymag.com/news/features/23169/&partnerID=73272

We've brought up calorie restriction on the board before (search for "Walford" or read this link: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/search.php?searchid=114673) but a severe case of cognitive dissonance keeps me from seeking the nuclear engineer's ultimate good-for-you lifestyle. A couple of this article's CR guys are redefining the DSM IV concept of obsessive-compulsive behavior. And when I'm hungry I don't think I'll be reaching for my laptop.

Now that I've read Julian Dibbell's perspective I can appreciate that my cognition isn't so dissonant. My version of CR victory is eating only one 1.75 gallon container of ice cream per week, with perhaps a Costco frozen yogurt and a couple slices of combo pizza to bridge the Friday-night gap. My BMI is around 25-27 but 1300 calories a day? Hey, I surf and spar tae kwon do!

Progress, not [-]obsession[/-] perfection. My "dietary" routine used to include TWO 1.75 gallon containers of ice cream a week. Next I think I'll work on making my ice-cream cones a little flatter. And maybe I'll substitute fruit or cereal for the frozen chocolate chips.

I already eat enough tofu but I'm open to experimentation. Anyone know a good local place to find Quorn?

My BMI is around 25-27 but 1300 calories a day? Hey, I surf and spar tae kwon do!

Weight Watchers allows more points (calories) for activity. I like to earn extra activity points at the gym, and then either eat the allowed extra food, or not, depending on my appetite. Personally I feel a lot healthier doing this, than if I restrict myself too much.

Bear in mind that after a vigorous workout, often my appetite is actually decreased in comparison with what it would have been with no workout.

Our bodies, and I believe our appetites, were designed for movement. Something that I am looking forward to in ER, is fulfilling the "animal needs" to be more active in my daily life. No more cubicle life for this girl.

Diets are only as good as one's ability to follow them. Extremely restrictive diets are also extremely hard to stay on, and are more prone to being discarded for binges.

I don't believe in "diets" per se in terms of greatly reduced-calorie intake to get down to a target weight. I believe in overall lifestyle change -- getting more exercise AND finding an eating regimen that is sustainable in the long-term, one that doesn't leave you constantly hungry or extremely deprived.

I looked back over my records (I have spreadsheets for nearly everything).

Since retirement, I have been losing weight at about 1/2 pound per week; it varies a bit and occasionally plateaus for weeks but weight has never gone up.

Two and half years times half pound per week equals 75 pounds.

People ask how I lost weight.

"I retired."

I'm physically/mentally healthier than at any time in the last 25 or so years.

Bear in mind that after a vigorous workout, often my appetite is actually decreased in comparison with what it would have been with no workout.

Our bodies, and I believe our appetites, were designed for movement. Something that I am looking forward to in ER, is fulfilling the "animal needs" to be more active in my daily life. No more cubicle life for this girl.

Huge difference for me when I retired. I haven't cut many calories but much more active. Just got back from taking my dog on a 3 mile walk by the reservoir. Didn't do much of that when I worked. Also play a lot of golf. Even though I ride, you still get good exercise and sweat a lot.

My old work mates think I have been on a diet. Lost a couple of pounds but mainly just toned up. :)

There's no way I could keep up with a CR diet as described in the article. I stuck with WW for 6 months, journaling and tracking and found it relatively easy, especially since there are lots of "zero point" veggies that you can snack on or use to bulk up a meal. Once the weight was off no need to keep track or journal unless the weight rises above what you are comfortable with. That has happened a few times but I'm expecting it to be much easier once I finish work and exercise more and am away from the constant temptation of food at work or while traveling.

Try intermittent fasting.
I barely manage to do that between bedtime & breakfast.

I think any of my weight loss would happen the old-fashioned way: [-]eating less[/-] exercising more.

Back
Top Bottom