Another Risk in Dining Out

That's what we need, regulations on when/how we clean out water lines on soft drink dispensers in restaurants. That's what I want Congress to spend their time on! I wonder what would be on TV "news" magazine shows if they didn't sensationalize every possible story or plug celebrities/authors/sports figures?

testpattern.jpg

It may be different in other towns, but here the restaurant business is ruthlessly competitive and a reputation for making people sick would quickly ruin a restaurant. Word gets around.

This doesn't apply to fast food franchise restaurants here, which (whether true or not) I have always assumed have filthy, unsanitary drink machines and especially ice machines. Fast food does not compete with our local restaurants and just competes with other fast food. Their soft drinks always cause some sort of reaction in my throat producing a lot of mucus and coughing that I don't get with the same drink in a normal restaurant, so this is why I think you may be right about the drinks at fast food places.

With all the legendary restaurants here, we almost never eat fast food. One can get fabulous food for a lot cheaper than fast food at a number of restaurants. For example there is a restaurant near Frank's house where we can get a divine hot Cajun chicken sandwich with a thick portion of expertly seasoned chicken and all the trimmings, and made with freshly baked French bread that would melt in your mouth. It comes with homemade fries on the side but the sandwich is really enough. Add a drink that doesn't make me cough and an attentive waitress to make sure we are happy with everything, and the total bill is under $5 each.

Last edited:
One can get fabulous food for a lot cheaper than fast food at a number of restaurants. For example there is a restaurant near Frank's house where we can get a divine Cajun chicken sandwich with a thick portion of expertly seasoned chicken and all the trimmings, and made with freshly baked French bread that would melt in your mouth. Add a drink that doesn't make me cough and an attentive waitress to make sure we are happy with everything, and the total bill is under $5 each.
And you're going to leave all that?

And you're going to leave all that?

Maybe eventually. Frank and I had a talk the other day, and (hold the presses! :LOL:) we are now tentatively planning to put off this move to Missouri for at least a year or two because of the housing market. A house near Franks that we are famliar with went on the market this week for a disgustingly low price and we are fed up! That was the Last Straw.

As long as we are here we are going to keep eating great food. :D And Springfield, Missouri can be a vacation or evacuation destination for us.

Last edited:
Here the city inspects and gives restaurants green display cards with ratings up to 100%. I would avoid the ones with ratings under 95%. You can suspect a place is not as clean if the windows are not clear (smudgy) and/or the card is not proudly displayed. Duh. One place we stopped going to had the 90% rating placed on a post inside out of site.

Years ago I had a summer job while attending college. I was the only person in "the gang" that had a formal education above 8th grade. I learned more from those guys then they learned from me. One philosopher in rags often said (about the unclean/unsanitary conditions that we found ourselves in) ~ "A little nastiness is good for you. It makes you healthy."

I have used that guidance for the last 45 very healthy years.

Perfect antidote for a slow news day or a looming deadline-- grab a test kit, swab something ubiquitous & innocuous, and then recoil in horror at the presence of deadly fecal bacteria.

The amusing part about all of this hysteria is that the media seems convinced there are parts of the planet that don't contain traces of fecal matter. Or maybe they feel that nothing should contain traces of fecal matter.

Or maybe they're just full of fecal matter.

I don't want to eat that stuff and I avoid unclean looking places, but frankly that is what immune systems are for! Fecal matter is everywhere. I figure that if you keep your environment too disinfected your immune system is weakened.

Audrey

I remember a long time ago talking to my sister about this.... people here in Houston will remember.... SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE....

She said it was almost impossible to keep it out... she managed a pizza place and said they would clean the drink machines all the time... but that slime would grow back quickly...

Is there someone here that did this kind of work and can say how long a cleaning lasts:confused:

Is there someone here that did this kind of work and can say how long a cleaning lasts:confused:
About as long as it takes for the bleach solution to dry.

I used to inspect sanitary tanks as part of one of my submarine jobs. If people think that fecal matter is messy then they're not paying attention to the drains in their sinks & showers!

But both of those types of tanks paled in comparison to the stuff that grows in the "potable" water tanks.

I can only imagine what a bacteriologist would find in the ball pit at Chuck E. Cheese franchises.

Feel better now?

Yeah, it is a little disconcerting. But then I wonder what health inspectors would say about our own kitchens relative to those in restaurants. And to follow up on what Audrey said, I don't want to eat in a filth pit but there is something to be said for exercising your immune system once in a while. Use it or lose it!

Anthony Bourdain, a celebrity chef, wrote in one of his books that the easiest way to tell if a restaurant's kitchen is clean or not is to visit their restrooms. He said that a restaurant kitchen is way harder to keep clean than a bathroom. And if they couldn't keep a public bathroom clean, a place you are allowed to see, then you can imagine what the kitchen, the prep area, and the pantry would be like.

That said, I will admit that I got sick from eating out only once. The thought of filth would kill my appetite, however.

Yep, old Marvin was a hoot. Of course there were a bunch of Aggies back in the day who hated his guts for blowing the whistle on the Chicken Ranch and getting the place closed down. No more chickens to pluck.

Upon further reflection, your avatar is lookin' mighty plucky himself...

I remember working at a fast food restaurant back in the day.

We had a metal cheese dispensing machine that were supposed to disassemble and clean after close, but since wanted to leave and party standard procedure was to keep filling it with water and pumping until it ran somewhat clear instead of orange.

Everyone, manager on down, was in on this time saving technique. We knew how to clean the parts if asked, but the pump and flush was much faster.

Good times.

A classic, if apocryphal, medical student story: to reinforce the importance of hand washing, a group of students were given a small amount of oatmeal that was laced with something that glows with UV "black" light. They were told to be sure and wash their hands before patient contact. Each passed an initial screen with the light to assure it was negative right after ingestion.

48 hours later, a team went in to inspect the patient rooms with a black light. There was feces everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Sheets, patient pillows, the ceiling (!), floors, faucets, door handles, their stethoscopes, hands, and their genitals.

We live in a world of, uh..., enteric flora in my job, and it's not much better in restaurants. Then again, most of our exposure, by a factor of thousands I'd guess, is the stuff we carry around in our bodies all the time.

Quick, hand me a cloth- I have to clean that doorknob.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom