Join Early Retirement Today

Another Risk in Dining Out
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another Risk in Dining Out

Some Soda Fountains Contain Fecal Bacteria : dBTechno

Quote:
It did not matter whether or not the fountains were self serve or not, up to half of them were found to contain trace amounts of fecal matter.
or watch the CBS report:

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

That's what we need, regulations on when/how we clean out water lines on soft drink dispensers in restaurants. That's what I want Congress to spend their time on! I wonder what would be on TV "news" magazine shows if they didn't sensationalize every possible story or plug celebrities/authors/sports figures?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It may be different in other towns, but here the restaurant business is ruthlessly competitive and a reputation for making people sick would quickly ruin a restaurant. Word gets around.

This doesn't apply to fast food franchise restaurants here, which (whether true or not) I have always assumed have filthy, unsanitary drink machines and especially ice machines. Fast food does not compete with our local restaurants and just competes with other fast food. Their soft drinks always cause some sort of reaction in my throat producing a lot of mucus and coughing that I don't get with the same drink in a normal restaurant, so this is why I think you may be right about the drinks at fast food places.

With all the legendary restaurants here, we almost never eat fast food. One can get fabulous food for a lot cheaper than fast food at a number of restaurants. For example there is a restaurant near Frank's house where we can get a divine hot Cajun chicken sandwich with a thick portion of expertly seasoned chicken and all the trimmings, and made with freshly baked French bread that would melt in your mouth. It comes with homemade fries on the side but the sandwich is really enough. Add a drink that doesn't make me cough and an attentive waitress to make sure we are happy with everything, and the total bill is under $5 each.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
One can get fabulous food for a lot cheaper than fast food at a number of restaurants. For example there is a restaurant near Frank's house where we can get a divine Cajun chicken sandwich with a thick portion of expertly seasoned chicken and all the trimmings, and made with freshly baked French bread that would melt in your mouth. Add a drink that doesn't make me cough and an attentive waitress to make sure we are happy with everything, and the total bill is under $5 each.
And you're going to leave all that?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Well, we did learn our lesson with poopy lemons...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ghlight=lemons
Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
And you're going to leave all that?
Maybe eventually. Frank and I had a talk the other day, and (hold the presses! ) we are now tentatively planning to put off this move to Missouri for at least a year or two because of the housing market. A house near Franks that we are famliar with went on the market this week for a disgustingly low price and we are fed up! That was the Last Straw.

As long as we are here we are going to keep eating great food. And Springfield, Missouri can be a vacation or evacuation destination for us.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Here the city inspects and gives restaurants green display cards with ratings up to 100%. I would avoid the ones with ratings under 95%. You can suspect a place is not as clean if the windows are not clear (smudgy) and/or the card is not proudly displayed. Duh. One place we stopped going to had the 90% rating placed on a post inside out of site.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Years ago I had a summer job while attending college. I was the only person in "the gang" that had a formal education above 8th grade. I learned more from those guys then they learned from me. One philosopher in rags often said (about the unclean/unsanitary conditions that we found ourselves in) ~ "A little nastiness is good for you. It makes you healthy."

I have used that guidance for the last 45 very healthy years.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Perfect antidote for a slow news day or a looming deadline-- grab a test kit, swab something ubiquitous & innocuous, and then recoil in horror at the presence of deadly fecal bacteria.

The amusing part about all of this hysteria is that the media seems convinced there are parts of the planet that don't contain traces of fecal matter. Or maybe they feel that nothing should contain traces of fecal matter.

Or maybe they're just full of fecal matter.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't want to eat that stuff and I avoid unclean looking places, but frankly that is what immune systems are for! Fecal matter is everywhere. I figure that if you keep your environment too disinfected your immune system is weakened.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I remember a long time ago talking to my sister about this.... people here in Houston will remember.... SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE....

She said it was almost impossible to keep it out... she managed a pizza place and said they would clean the drink machines all the time... but that slime would grow back quickly...

Is there someone here that did this kind of work and can say how long a cleaning lasts
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Is there someone here that did this kind of work and can say how long a cleaning lasts
About as long as it takes for the bleach solution to dry.

I used to inspect sanitary tanks as part of one of my submarine jobs. If people think that fecal matter is messy then they're not paying attention to the drains in their sinks & showers!

But both of those types of tanks paled in comparison to the stuff that grows in the "potable" water tanks.

I can only imagine what a bacteriologist would find in the ball pit at Chuck E. Cheese franchises.

Feel better now?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it is a little disconcerting. But then I wonder what health inspectors would say about our own kitchens relative to those in restaurants. And to follow up on what Audrey said, I don't want to eat in a filth pit but there is something to be said for exercising your immune system once in a while. Use it or lose it!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I remember a long time ago talking to my sister about this.... people here in Houston will remember.... SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE....
Marvin Zindler, may he rest in peace... he was always entertainment for us once a week on the 5:00 news...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #15

Old 01-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Ah, sh*t.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Anthony Bourdain, a celebrity chef, wrote in one of his books that the easiest way to tell if a restaurant's kitchen is clean or not is to visit their restrooms. He said that a restaurant kitchen is way harder to keep clean than a bathroom. And if they couldn't keep a public bathroom clean, a place you are allowed to see, then you can imagine what the kitchen, the prep area, and the pantry would be like.

That said, I will admit that I got sick from eating out only once. The thought of filth would kill my appetite, however.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Marvin Zindler, may he rest in peace... he was always entertainment for us once a week on the 5:00 news...
I've never felt deprived until now...what a character he must have been.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
OMG! Marvin Zindler - Eye Witness Neeeeeeeoooooze. (Houston)

For those folks who don't know - he was the media whistle-blower for the La Grange TX "Chicken Ranch" - a.k.a "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas".

Chicken Ranch (Texas) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep, old Marvin was a hoot. Of course there were a bunch of Aggies back in the day who hated his guts for blowing the whistle on the Chicken Ranch and getting the place closed down. No more chickens to pluck.