Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Buying drugs that have been on the market and raising the price by 20X or more is not uncommon. Examples are Daraprim and Cycloserine. Pricing in the US drug market is based on value, not cost. How much would people pay for this drug?
But those are situations where only one company is producing the drug. When you have 45 companies producing the drug, seems less likely.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My apologies but when I google "dropping dead with AAA" I get some weird references to the American Automobile Association which I would guess is not what you meant?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My dad dropped dead with a AAA...

2 years ago we visited a 92 year old uncle of DW while we were in the UK, and he was still super fit, living in his own house, sharp as a tack and very active still in his local dance club. 9 months later he dropped dead with a AAA.
My first thought was to be happy I'm not a member of Triple A, then I realized you were actually referring to abdominal aortic aneurysm...
Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My first thought was to be happy I'm not a member of Triple A, then I realized you were actually referring to abdominal aortic aneurysm...
That's it exactly, and definitely the way I would choose to go. My grandmother died of that also. She was talking on the phone to my aunt and the line went dead. When my aunt went around to check on her she was dead in the chair.

No symptoms but when it bursts you are often dead in seconds.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For example they gave the drug to old mice who were poor performers running on a treadmill and other tests, and they quickly started performing as well as much younger mice.
But I'm an old mouse that doesn't want to go back on the treadmill.

They need to do a study to see if the these old mice were suddenly able to stay out all night drinking and not feel it the next day, play scratch golf, and chase the spouse mouse around the mouse house all day. Why don't our tax dollars go toward meaningful research?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

They need to do a study to see if the these old mice were suddenly able to stay out all night drinking and not feel it the next day, play scratch golf, and chase the spouse mouse around the mouse house all day. Why don't our tax dollars go toward meaningful research?
I think they did do that research, but NatGeo documentaries only have a G rating
Old 11-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

We already have a miracle drug that would could increase our lifespan to 120: Want to live to 120? Exercise more, eat healthily and take statins, say panel of experts | Daily Mail Online

Old 11-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

We are only a few decades from being able to download your entire brain pattern into a computer, so might as well just wait for that. Unlimited lifespan as long as you pay your power bill. Probably will eventually be able to reload into a lab grown brain/body but I don't see the point if enough sensory input is provided to the digital brain.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We already have a miracle drug that would could increase our lifespan to 120: Want to live to 120? Exercise more, eat healthily and take statins, say panel of experts | Daily Mail Online

Alas, all that hard work does not really guarantee you will live to 120. Only a few lucky ones will. The average person will extend his life a mere 4 years.
The group, which independently monitors evidence that explain changes in life expectancy and advises policymakers, found doing so took the average lifespan from 80 to 84.

The 'What is ageing? And how do we delay it?' report states that at present few people live to around 110 - but by making these adjustments they predict that the healthiest individuals could live to 120.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:59 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
We are only a few decades from being able to download your entire brain pattern into a computer, so might as well just wait for that. Unlimited lifespan as long as you pay your power bill. Probably will eventually be able to reload into a lab grown brain/body but I don't see the point if enough sensory input is provided to the digital brain.
I hope the computer hosting my brain thoughts will have a better OS than those in use now.

Else, a hiccup of the software or an infection by a virus may cause my thoughts to enter an endless loop or reach an indeterminate state worse than it is already.

Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel
Like a snowball down a mountain, or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning running rings around the moon
Like a clock whose hands are sweeping past the minutes of its face
And the world is like an apple whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
If a new use is found will Metformin be placed back on patent and acquire a government protected ounce of gold new price tag?
The company that puts in all the research and clinical trials will rebrand the drug as Longevitia, make it in weird strengths or time released tablets that are not currently available (instead of 500mg it will be 567mg) and they will cost $65 per pill, taken twice a day. Or only $3,900 a month, not covered by insurance of course.

PS you don't have to be diabetic to take metformin.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

My doctor prescribed Metformin for me in 2009. I couldn't tolerate that infernal drug. I could say a few more choice words about it but I'll spare you.

Fortunately there are other blood sugar medications available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The most common adverse effect of metformin is gastrointestinal irritation, including diarrhea, cramps, nausea, vomiting, and increased flatulence; metformin is more commonly associated with gastrointestinal side effects than most other antidiabetic drugs.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:35 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Well, to live to 120 one has to give up something.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:06 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The scientists on the program were saying that their research on mice did not prolong their lives very much but kept them much fitter. For example they gave the drug to old mice who were poor performers running on a treadmill and other tests, and they quickly started performing as well as much younger mice...
Quote:

There! I can see Congress raising SS FRA to 75 or 80, and when people complain they will just add a law giving Metformin for free to people. Heck, at 10c a day per person - and it is not even produced on a grand scale yet - it is an obvious solution to SS shortfunding problem. Gotta keep the geezers on the treadmill as long as they can. Spousal benefits, children's benefits? Hah. Get back to the treadmill!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Alas, all that hard work does not really guarantee you will live to 120. Only a few lucky ones will. The average person will extend his life a mere 4 years.
The group, which independently monitors evidence that explain changes in life expectancy and advises policymakers, found doing so took the average lifespan from 80 to 84.

The 'What is ageing? And how do we delay it?' report states that at present few people live to around 110 - but by making these adjustments they predict that the healthiest individuals could live to 120.
Sure, that's what they say about statins now. They'll be saying it about metformin in a few years.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
so move FRA to 110 .... will there be enough jobs to employ all the people long enough? Could the world support the extra people on the earth if every country extended life?
Quote:
Sure, there's no fixed number of jobs. More people=more demand for the goods and services that require workers. If, despite this, there is a surplus of labor then wages will go down a bit and more types of work become feasible at the lower labor costs.
Yes, more people means more work. But is it any kind of jobs people want to do?

For example, given the prevalent side effects of Metformin, who wants to change the diapers of geezers that are affected?

Old 12-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Well, to live to 120 one has to give up something.
True, but I'm not sure that sitting on the commode for the next 40 years makes it worthwhile....
Old 12-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
True, but I'm not sure that sitting on the commode for the next 40 years makes it worthwhile....
Who is sitting on the commode?

Apparently, you have not heard of Depend.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #59
gone traveling

Live to 120, good grief Charlie Brown. With the state of the world as it is and if we stay on the present trajectory of issues/calamities, I would have no desire to live to 120. Any how with the cost of medicare increasing YOY, I would be broke and on the street probably 25 years before I made 120.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This topic is more interesting than the article linked in the OP would suggest. For anyone wishing to look closer, I suggest reading Josh Mitteldorf's column "Playing The Game For A Longer Life". Here is an interesting take on Metformin. Click on his name at the bottom of the piece to bring up his bio and front page.

Quote:
Insulin manipulation works much better in mice than in larger animals like us, but it’s the best-studied, surest way to improve your odds for a long and healthy life, and there are vitality, alertness, productivity, freedom from infectious disease–almost every aspect of your quality of life is improved with more exercise and less food.
Can Botanicals Replace Metformin? | Josh Mitteldorf
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote