Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Doc told me to cut sodium to below 1500 mgs a day. I can tell when I go over for more than a day or two since the ringing starts coming back.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Has the skull-tapping cure worked for anyone? In my experience it works only temporarily.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comm..._for_tinnitus/

yep, temporary. Seems like it has caused most of the frequencies to die down, but I notice the remaining few pitches more. But overall volume reduction. Tried both sets of tapping solutions.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My tinnitus has been around for a year, after some hearing loss. No reason. Hearings aids help my hearing. I also go to a tinnitus support group meeting once a month. ATA.org. It sucks, but now I'm retired with my pile and I'm gonna spend it!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:04 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm another "poor dear" - mosquitoes sneak up on me quite easily now. My tinnitus sounds like mosquitoes.

When I was a teen, my high-frequency hearing was so keen it caused problems. I could hear the "starter hum" of florescent lights. It was actually painful and I sometimes could not stand to remain in the same room - or the store.
I have the same issue, when I was young I could not stand the horizontal hold frequency in analog televisions and often adjusted it until it was tolerable. Now I have a constant squeal, worse when I am tired or unhealthy.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have the white noise /hissing, Costco's hearing aids solved my hearing loss and tinnitus. My go to was not being able to hear those pesky rattlesnakes anymore.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dagnabit Carpe,there it is. I have tinnitus virtually 100% of the time. I have grown accustomed to it over the decades and never notice it until something like this thread raises it to awareness, at which point it roars until I get distracted by something else.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I have the white noise /hissing, Costco's hearing aids solved my hearing loss and tinnitus. My go to was not being able to hear those pesky rattlesnakes anymore.
I've been wondering if hearing aids might help. But what about when you go to bed? Do you sleep with hearing aids in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Dagnabit Carpe,there it is. I have tinnitus virtually 100% of the time. I have grown accustomed to it over the decades and never notice it until something like this thread raises it to awareness, at which point it roars until I get distracted by something else.
Hahaha, sorry about that!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

On a related note, I saw where a bill allowing the sale of OTC hearing aids was signed into law in August as part of the Food and Drug Administration Reauthorization Act of 2017.

Hopefully this will bring down the current exorbitant cost of hearing aids ($2,000+) which today must be purchased only through an audiologist.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a mild case in my right ear...likely from playing in too many loud bands. There is no known cure, and from my experience your mind may adapt to it a little and it can become slightly less annoying as time goes on.

Going forward, I have purchased a set of musician ear plugs and carry them with me at all times. I use them at every rehearsal, when we gig, at concerts, when I cut the grass, and when I use loud power tools. I can't cure it, but I certainly can take steps to prevent it from getting worse.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lots of advice here: https://www.ata.org/
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Lots of advice here: https://www.ata.org/
Looks like a great resource. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Same for me. As soon as I started reading this thread I started to hear it... I will drown it out soon