Join Early Retirement Today

Any advice for a Tinnitus sufferer?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any advice for a Tinnitus sufferer?

I've noticed in the past few months that the ringing / hissing sounds I constantly hear (i.e., Tinnitus) are a little louder and more irritating. I haven't gone to a doctor yet to confirm no underlying issues but I reluctantly will. Does anyone else have Tinnitus and if so, have you found anything to help lessen the 'noise'?
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have had tinnitus for about 50 years. I have been advised that it can not be repaired. I have learned to live with it and to "ignore" the white noise. If it is military-related, the VA will consider giving you hearing aid at no cost.

Good luck.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Mine is somewhat subdued, (and seems to be mainly in my left ear), and I've pretty much grown used to it......in fact, when I read the thread title, I thought "Hey, I have that".

What can be done to reduce it I don't know.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I take citrus bioflavonoids and Ginko Biloba, it helps about 40%. I also learned to listen to the white noise and the mind tends to fad the sound into the background.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If I listen for it, I can hear it, otherwise I don't notice it most of the time.
When it changes from a hiss to a high pitched squeal I notice it, and look to see if I stepped on the cat's tail
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
I take citrus bioflavonoids and Ginko Biloba, it helps about 40%.
Definitely going to try this. I read that Ginko wasn't proven to help but if it helped one person, I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
When it changes from a hiss to a high pitched squeal I notice it, and look to see if I stepped on the cat's tail
The first time I started hearing the higher pitch squeal I thought the fan I use at night needed to be greased, which I did. I was disappointed when the sound didn't go away and I realized it was my head that was squealing.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine usually squeals only after too many drinks or Advil.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

You could try changing your diet. Magnesium helps with many auditory issues in general. And check PubMed for tinnitus and deficiency. From the first page I came up with B12 and zinc as nutrients with some research to consider:

"We observed that zinc levels decrease as age increases. In addition, there was a significant correlation between zinc level and the severity and loudness of tinnitus. Zinc deficiency was also associated with impairments in hearing thresholds."
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I had Pulsatile tinnitus for some time. After going back on a beta blocker for hypertension it's pretty much gone.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I've noticed in the past few months that the ringing / hissing sounds I constantly hear (i.e., Tinnitus) are a little louder and more irritating. I haven't gone to a doctor yet to confirm no underlying issues but I reluctantly will. Does anyone else have Tinnitus and if so, have you found anything to help lessen the 'noise'?
My wife had it for a long time (years). The doctors did not help very much. She went for acupuncture treatments (which I think is a scam) for a few months and it went away. It has been over 14 years since she complained about the ringing in her years. I don't know if it was the acupuncture that actually did anything but at least she's better.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #11

Has the skull-tapping cure worked for anyone? In my experience it works only temporarily.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comm..._for_tinnitus/
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I've had high-pitched tinnitus since my late 30's. It got really bothersome at times. It turned out I have lost some hearing in the same frequency as my tinnitus "appears" to be (since it's not a real noise, I'm not sure what verb to use). The loss is in the 4Khz and above range, mainly affecting my ability to distinguish multiple speakers and to clearly hear high-pitched female speakers.

The audiologist offered hearing aids as something that had helped some others in my situation. She was not pushy about it, and made no promises. After a couple of years of occasional use (in conversational settings and when listening to music) I can honestly say the aids have helped.

When I can clearly hear the high notes produced by birds, crickets, musical notes, high-pitched female voices etc, it seems to "drown out" the tinnitus. When I don't wear the aids, I can again hear the tinnitus, yet it is a psychological comfort to know that I can compensate for it any time I want.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Has the skull-tapping cure worked for anyone? In my experience it works only temporarily.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comm..._for_tinnitus/
No but it's interesting. Further down that link a PT guy suggests why it might be beneficial.

Gotta love the Reddit community. I've learned a lot there.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I have had tinnitus for about 50 years. I have been advised that it can not be repaired. I have learned to live with it and to "ignore" the white noise. If it is military-related, the VA will consider giving you hearing aid at no cost.
If it's military related, you even get disability payments and free healthcare for life.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #15

I have tinnitus. Background noise helps me as well as a white noise machine when I sleep. Sometimes I forget about it, until I'm sitting quietly. It is really awful, sort of like floaters in the eyes. Not much they can do about either.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

Good luck.
Me too. It never stops.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
My wife had it for a long time (years). The doctors did not help very much. She went for acupuncture treatments (which I think is a scam) for a few months and it went away. It has been over 14 years since she complained about the ringing in her years. I don't know if it was the acupuncture that actually did anything but at least she's better.
Had severe tinnitus for over two years. Just suddenly popped up. Couldn't hear a thing! Totally deaf on one ear.

Even went for MRIs and to Mass Eye and Ear. Drs said get used to it.

ONE session of acupuncture fixed it. Still need occasional sessions but it is pretty much gone for thr past 5 years.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I have tinnitus. Background noise helps me as well as a white noise machine when I sleep. Sometimes I forget about it, until I'm sitting quietly. It is really awful, sort of like floaters in the eyes. Not much they can do about either.

+1

Have both. Ringing has been 30+ years. Used to ramp up when I was stressed or especially after flying. Seems have gotten a bit worse lately. My wife gave me a bad time for a couple years about noise machine while sleeping. I sat down and explained I live with this 24/7. No more complaining.

Weird thing though even with tinnitus my hearing is acute and a light sleeper. However background noise really affects me at public places but that happens to most of us getting old
Old 10-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

this reminds me of the time years ago that my grandmother commented on the change in Louisiana mosquitos. She suddenly realized that they no longer "buzzed" even when they came close to her. Poor dear didn't recognize that her hearing was too far gone to hear them anymore.......
Old 10-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm another "poor dear" - mosquitoes sneak up on me quite easily now. My tinnitus sounds like mosquitoes.

When I was a teen, my high-frequency hearing was so keen it caused problems. I could hear the "starter hum" of florescent lights. It was actually painful and I sometimes could not stand to remain in the same room - or the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
this reminds me of the time years ago that my grandmother commented on the change in Louisiana mosquitos. She suddenly realized that they no longer "buzzed" even when they came close to her. Poor dear didn't recognize that her hearing was too far gone to hear them anymore.......
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote