Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Protein powder with branched chain amino acids is used by many people. I add some chocolate-flavored powder to my breakfast oatmeal. It is practically like adding powdered milk to it.

I want to get about 20 to 40 grams of protein with every meal and the powder is a way to get it at breakfast although I could have more milk and eggs, too. Or Greek yogurt. If your diet is full of carbohydrates and fat (doubtful), then the protein powder could be helpful.

Protein is made of amino acids. That's what protein is. So adding branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) is just adding some AA that your body doesn't normally synthesize for itself and that is required in your diet.

Will eating more protein+extra BCAA help your soreness? Probably not. Will stopping Zumba help your soreness, probably. On days you don't do Zumba, be sure to walk 3 to 5 miles with a decent pair of shoes or a ride a bike for an hour.

If you are losing muscle mass and strength, then I think weight lifting and adding calories to your diet through a protein supplement will be a lot better than eating bacon.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
SOOO, does anybody here take this? Does it work? What 'dose' are you taking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Protein powder with branched chain amino acids is used by many people. I add some chocolate-flavored powder to my breakfast oatmeal.
Ah, someone who supplements with protein (OP's question)! I used to do something similar. Not a lot. Just to tip the macro nutrient balance a bit. I was using plain whey powder. I stopped that because a food sensitivity test (which I kind of don't have a lot of faith in, btw) suggested whey wasn't good for me. Easy enough to tip the balance with "real food", as you (LOL!) indicated.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
While I agree that much of the vitamin and supplement hype is just that, a logical perspective would force one to admit that there might be something "good" out there that has yet to be proven.

For instance, most physicians now agree that it's unhealthy to have a vitamin D (25-hydroxy) below 30ng/mL. But 10 years ago, I'd bet most people would scoff at people who were supplementing with vitamin D. "That's unproven", they'd say. "A waste of money". I'd bet they'd even have said "dangerous", since it was considered fat soluble and could build-up. But now, hmmm, vitamin D is a thing.
Actually, the latest thinking is that the reference range may be set too high. Most of us who are not shut ins and who live in the sunbelt have no need for D even in the winter. If you live year-round in Minnesota, maybe, but south of San Francisco-Kansas City-Virginia Beach, probably not.

Small scale studies are done, marginal but exciting results are hyped in the media, large scale studies show no value to the cure of the moment. Repeat. People get confused because they "don't know who to believe". Sadly, it's mostly just poor journalism.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #24

It is totally frustrating the way the information is released by the journalists. There could be ten well-designed studies that say the same thing, and they report on the one poorly designed study that "proves" some other thing
Old 06-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
It is totally frustrating the way the information is released by the journalists. There could be ten well-designed studies that say the same thing, and they report on the one poorly designed study that "proves" some other thing
Fake News.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This board might feel that water is dangerous for a thirsty man.

I believe that few of the public experts who weigh in on these matters have any stake in the health of the population. Doctors don't. They generally would like their patients to do well, but they know that this will never dent their business. If some of the big diseases were suddenly easily cured an enormous investment in US medical "care" would be at least partially redundant. The diabetes boom is a case in point. Diabetics are big consumers of drugs, hospitalizations and surgery, and make up a big part of the daily load in a GP's or internist's office practice. A surgeon could almost make a career out of cutting off successive sections of diabetics' appendages. And where did the diabetes boom come from? Well, the timing certainly suggests that government dietary guidelines, promulgated by prominent and influential academic MDs might have had more than a little to do with it. For sure drug companies rarely want to cure anybody, unless the treatment costs at least $20,000 pa and takes a while. What they salivate over is an incurable disease that can be expensively treated with drugs, but given the standard of care will only occasionally be cured.

You know who has a stake in the health of the population? The armed forces do, and large life insurers or life re-insurers. The insurers need to be those without much health insurance or annuity business. Now, these folks do not want you to die!

And they have lots of data, and unlike too much research coming out of medicine, the insurers have a big stake in making the right interpretations of their data.

Ha
Old 06-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #27

Yeah, so not only is there almost nobody with the motivation to really cure, there is the cognitive dissonance of practitioners that can't groc that what they've been telling people for 30 years is wrong. Things move slowly because we have to wait for the "experts" that have that baggage to die-off.

We are doomed.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I don't "recommend" it, but WallyWorld has tubs of whey powder for $16.95 or so. I use it to make a PWO (post-workout) shake. I use half a scoop, which works out to 15 grams of protein. I use it for a little extra protein after a fairly vigorous weight workout, but also/mostly because it's handy to refuel a bit without eating. I just can't eat as much as I used to...

Fyi, the RDA for protein is 0.3-0.4gm/lbs of bodyweight, or around 62gms for me. Bodybuilders consume more on the order of 0.5-1.0...

1/4-lbs burger = 24.2
1-hard-boiled egg = 6.3
8oz glass of milk = 8.1
Etc.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I don't "recommend" it, but WallyWorld has tubs of whey powder for $16.95 or so. I use it to make a PWO (post-workout) shake. I use half a scoop, which works out to 15 grams of protein. I use it for a little extra protein after a fairly vigorous weight workout, but also/mostly because it's handy to refuel a bit without eating. I just can't eat as much as I used to...

Fyi, the RDA for protein is 0.3-0.4gm/lbs of bodyweight, or around 62gms for me. Bodybuilders consume more on the order of 0.5-1.0...

1/4-lbs burger = 24.2
1-hard-boiled egg = 6.3
8oz glass of milk = 8.1
Etc.

I buy some already made from Sam's club... it has 30 grams, but I only drink half of it... actually not bad... I have heard making it yourself from dry can be lumpy and not taste good....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I throw some frozen fruit, milk, and powder into the blender. Then whip it, whip it good...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote