Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-25-2019, 04:29 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

C&W but tough to find good places at least here in Northern Va.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spouse and I do ballroom and latin and country 2 step. I also line dance.

In fact we recently had a smaller party at our home and had 20+ dancers here.

I too dance at senior centers.

Spouse shares me on the dance floor and I've heard several women thank her for sharing.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:17 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I square danced as a kid and DW and I square danced for a few years in our mid 30s... we were experienced mainstream/early advanced when we stopped.... we even got a young DD involved when she was 10 or so.

I liked square dancing for the exercise, mental stimulation and socializing. I even recall a few times where we didn't have enough girls so I had to dance as a girl... that gets you thinking for sure.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
I've got music, I've got rhy-hy. Thm.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've got music, I've got rhy-hy. Thm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
My wife and I took some lessons prior to my son's wedding. It helped a lot and I didn't embarrass myself too much, but I don't think I'll ever be considered a good dancer.
Ditto here. We practiced extensively for our son's and daughter's weddings, but then it sort of dropped off the radar. DW loves it, but I can't keep a beat so I'm a bad partner.

I learned that for every man who is willing to dance, there are 10 women eager for a partner. Decades ago my younger brother got heavily into C&W dancing. It was an immensely effective way to "expand his social circle" (aka "meet girls"). Being 6 foot 3, with a wrestler's build and a striking resemblance to Hank Williams Jr probably didn't hurt either.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ecstatic dancing. Love it, learned at Burning Man and DW & I keep at it. Dance like no one is watching.
We also like Zumba. I'm fortunate in having a wife who likes to dance.❤️
Old 09-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I square danced off and on in the 1980s before my full-time work schedule left me too worn out to continue in late 1988. But in 2001, after I switched to working part-time, I returned to the activity, dancing twice a week until I fully retired in late 2008. At that time, I expanded my dancing to 3 nights per week. I had risen to Challenge-1, or C-1, a very advanced level. I had also become good at dancing the girl's part, something useful because at C-1 there were more men than women in my small, local club. (I was also a "no-twirl" guy!")

It became a little too much dancing that many nights per week and in 2014 I cut it back to 2 nights. But, sadly, last year our long-time caller here on Long Island, the father of Western Square Dancing, Lee Kopman, passed away at age 85. And with that, my square dancing disappeared. There is another caller in my area but I don't really like him and have no interest in continuing my dancing with him. I am not willing to travel out of town to dance, either.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

scrabbler1, that's a sad story. So sorry you have had to give up square dancing, something you loved and obviously were very good at. And it is great exercise too. Is there any way to get another caller in your area? I know people who go on vacations just to square dance, have you looked into square dancing vacations?
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife loves playing Just Dance on our PS4 so I do some of that with her randomly. We go out to electronic music stuff to dance from time to time (not as much as we used to, Goth for her, Raves for me).
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Retch the Grate, so glad you and your wife like to dance but I must admit I have never seen Goth or Rave dancing (after all I am 68) but if you enjoy it I am all for it. Last weekend at the place I go dancing (there was a big crowd of us flatfooting) a teenager came in, looked around and said "THIS IS A GERIATRIC MOSH PIT". I took that as a compliment.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
scrabbler1, that's a sad story. So sorry you have had to give up square dancing, something you loved and obviously were very good at. And it is great exercise too. Is there any way to get another caller in your area? I know people who go on vacations just to square dance, have you looked into square dancing vacations?
Square dancing here on LI has been on the decline for many years. It reached its peak in the 1970s and 1980s. The club I joined in 2001 (not Lee Kopman's) had 6 squares before its numbers gradually fell to 1-2 squares by the time it folded in 2018. The club's original caller moved away in 2007. Lee's main club had 3-4 squares in 2002 when I joined it but had also fallen to 1-2 squares by the time he passed away in 2018. Beginner classes usually fold after a few months, or their few persistent dancers join the existing club. But with a basically 60+ age group, we lose many more dancers to death, disability, disinterest, or relocation than we can get replacements.

The only caller who has any organized clubs is the one I don't like and won't dance with. And I am not willing to travel out of town to dance. I don't like traveling in general.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote