Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody have and use a bowflex machine?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anybody have and use a bowflex machine?

Do you have and/or use a Bowflex machine? If so, what model? Any comments/suggestions?

Seems like a low impact workout for those of us with a little time on the joints. Pricey new, but Craigslist and Ebay are full of used ones that have seen little use. DW and I need to get back on an exercise program. We have a treadmill for walking in the cold months, but need some strength training also. We've done the gym membership thing, but just too expensive, and don't want to fool around with freeweights.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My younger brother has one. After a brief period of use... it sits in a corner (unused) and gathers dust. He was already working out regularly before he purchased it... but life intervened and slacked off.

My advice, if you buy one... get a used one. Do not worry about the bow-flex brand, there are some knock-offs that are equally as good. Plus other systems that accomplish the same thing.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had one several years ago, don't recall which model it was, but I loved it. I'm currently waiting for my new one to be delivered. The only reason I got rid of it was because there was no room in the moving container for it. For most people, meaning not the competitive bodybuilder types, it does extremely well. I used it extensively and almost exclusively until I deployed to the sandbox, where I used machines heavily (I couldn't find a workout partner as dedicated or strong as I was). The "weights" listed on the bowflex did not compare to what was done on the machines or what I lifted using free weights. Unless you have a big ego the weight amount doesn't really matter anyway, just getting the resistance workout is what is important.

I would highly recommend the Bowflex for for most people. It does provide an very effective workout for almost all muscle groups and lasts a long time.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #4

We have a Boflex revolution. Have had it for a couple of years and I still use it regularly.
I agree completely about getting one second hand.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Rest assured that I'm only interested in buying used. Craigslist and Ebay have plenty of all models in good condition. As usual, I'm sure I'll have to kiss a few frogs and winnow some chaff before I find one that meets my specs of newness, features, and price.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No Blow flex, but I bought a good, used universal machine for $45; think used, think Craigslist...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
No Blow flex ...
I hope that wasn't a Freudian slip. Hopefully it was a reference to the quality of the machine and not a reference to some sort of exercise.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
don't want to fool around with free weights
Is it that you are worried about dropping something on yourself? I can appreciate that, and there's no way I'd do bench presses or overhead lifts with a barbell (I've seen too much AFV). What I've been using are dumbbells, and I'm only a little nervous about the dumbbell bench press.

Recommended book: Weight Training Past 50

WeightWorkout.jpg

My sister has a bowflex covered in dust and other stuff in the garage.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have the Bowflex XTL. Bought it new in Jan, 2001 for $1766. I also have the Bowflex adjustable dumbells. I use the Bowflex and dumbells about 4 times a week. Very good for maintaining muscle tone - not too good for bulking up. Never had any injuries form working out. I'm very happy with my Bowflex.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
I hope that wasn't a Freudian slip. Hopefully it was a reference to the quality of the machine and not a reference to some sort of exercise.

Heh, heh...

No, it's a reference to all machines and diets advertised on the boob tube. Those bodybuilders and models they use didn't get that way using Jenny Craig and a Bowflex...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've tried the Bowflex machines, but have come away somewhat un-impressed. What does impress me is the idea of a set of Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells and a "Universal" type gym with a Lat tower, leg extension/flexion attachment, and an incline sit up board. Dumbbells are an incredibly flexible workout tool that you can do (very literally) hundreds of exercises with them. The universal gym options I mention fill in almost all the gaps.

Add a good cyclic jogger (the NordicTracs look nice) and a TV set and you have pretty much everything I use at the gym.
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have a Pacific Fitness body building machine, otherwise know as "THE DEATH MACHINE". I like low impact. It suits me well.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #13

i considered a home gym a while back but decided i'm not well-motivated enough to use it regularly. it's good for me to go to a public gym where i can see what bodies are supposed to look like. it is especially inspirational to see some of the older guys working out. also, though i'm not quite as cheap as that episode on will & grace where she shadows someone else's personal trainer at the gym, earlier on i did sometimes set myself up on a machine next to someone working with a trainer and got some very good advice listening into their conversations. (i do the same thing when i swim at the hall of fame when the colleges train there.) also i like the social aspects of a public gym of which i think a home gym would deprive me.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
No Blow flex, but I bought a good, used universal machine for $45; think used, think Craigslist...
ROTFLMAO.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #15

Dh and I bought one a few years ago complete with Lat, leg and squat attachments, cheap, hardly used for $150. I like it because I can work out alone and get in a good workout. Used is definitely the way to go on this kind of thing, I'm in the market for a good used recumbent bike for dh, I'm sure I'll find one cheap at a yard sale this spring.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i considered a home gym a while back but decided i'm not well-motivated enough to use it regularly. it's good for me to go to a public gym where i can see what bodies are supposed to look like . . .
Same here. I have free weights (dumbbells and an "easy bar) here at home, and do use them occasionally, but even if I had a full set of workout equipment here I'd still much rather go to a gym and work. There's really something about physically going to the gym that gets mind, body, and spirit in the workout kinda mood that just doesn't happen when I'm at home, and the community gym operated by our city rec department is (compared to 24Hr Natalus, et al) quite affordable.
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Freeweights are the best, but many of the most important major muscle group lifts (more weight/resistance) are not safe if you're working out alone. If you're going to a gym or have a partner to work out with, freeweights are the best period.

Weight machines where the handles (or whatever you grab) are on track/slides etc. are the most common and unfortunately the worst choice, because they isolate muscles too much.

Because the BowFlex has handles and cables for most exercises, you use the intended muscles and all the stabilizer muscles around them which is a better workout and provides more "useable" muscle. This is why freeweights are the best incidently, because you work all the stabilizer muscles without any "help" from the weights. You can verify this, aside from BowFlex literature, for yourself with a little research. Next best thing to freeweights IMHO.

I would go with a used BowFlex (they are overpriced new), I don't agree that all the imitators are just as good - simply not true. The BowFlex power rod stated resistance is overstated, but who cares. If you want to lift 200 lbs and the power rod equivalent is 250 - so what? I've been using a BowFlex (my 2nd, bought a better one, The Ultimate) for more than 5 years and added SelectTech dumbells when they came out. I believe it's the best, safe workout I can do alone. I have not worked out on a Revolution, but I don't think you need top of the line anyway. There are about 20 lifts that are the most important, many of the other 50-80 exercises the high end ones offer are not as good and therefore not value added IMO.

Of course you have to use them and stick with them to get results, but raises your metabolism far more than any cardio exercise. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote