Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #21

I've read a couple of stories recently about dehydration being linked to blacking out (might have even been a thread here a few months back?). Not the type of noticeable dehydration you'd necessarily feel by itself, but enough to cause black outs, especially the kind where you go to get up or something like OP describes.

Particularly when there are no other medical conditions. But OP I'd go to the Dr now, not wait for another one, in case there is something else going on.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've fainted twice. The first time was due to dehydration from an electric blanket (I love to sleep warm). After a battery of tests, Doc said, "throw away that electric blanket". That was ten years ago.

Second time, I awoke to find an open pore bleeding on my nose. I kept dabbing at it with a tissue and it was very slow to stop bleeding and soon I had a bloody tissue in my hands. I started to feel dizzy and sat on the toilet and then passed out onto the floor. That was a couple of years ago.

In my everyday life, I have to stand slowly or I'll feel temporarily dizzy, so dehydration or sight of blood must just push me over the edge. Needless to say, banging your head can be very dangerous, so be careful. At night, I sit on the bedside and swing my legs until grogginess leaves, then I stand to walk to the bathroom.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I fainted a year and a half ago when I had a allergic/shock reaction to a bee sting. It was very brief and I caught my own fall.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:44 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I had 5 instances of light headedness in 5 days with 2 that had a short blackout. Flew home from a business trip and hit the ER. Diagnoses - Paroxysmal AV block. Effectively the AV node would stop transmitting the signals to the bottom of the heart.

Only one instance where I was standing, others were sitting.

Took over a day to find the issue. The solution was a dual chamber pacemaker.
And Bingybear's experience is a good example of why we hope you'll make a quick call or visit to your doc, just to be sure it's nothing. It is probably nothing - please call your doc Earl E.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Happened twice now to my dad who lives with me. Both times the ER said it was dehydration. 2 liters of saline and sent him home. Stay hydrated! His blood pressure had dropped simply because there wasn't enough in him to pump around.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Church member, about your age, had similar incidents. More than once, just fainted.

Saw Md. They did all of the usual tests. Looked normal.

Md, hooked up a heart monitor. Pretty neat. Attach monitor you wear, collects data
24 hrs. And every day it send the info to Md. Via Internet. Battery last more than a year.

I guess, the plan is to record your heart if and when you faint.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

An older friend of mine (now gone at age 91) passed out - later found it due to AV node issue. Doc alerted the license branch and friend's license was suspended for 6 months. Don't know if this is typical, but you might do the old "Hey doc, this friend of mine passed out for no apparent reason..."

I agree you need to be checked out. It might cost you your DL however.

By the way, my friend most likely died a few years after the initial incident because his pacemaker had been installed improperly. He lived with it that way several years because his doc didn't think it worth the risk to "fix" it. Eventually my friend passed out, hit his head and was gone in 24 hours. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:03 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope.
The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness.

Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it's possible you may injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode. Your doctor may recommend tests to rule out more serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders.

DW has passed out three times, Her trigger is getting sick to stomach feeling. I have had one episode becasue of waking up in middle of night to her yelling my name, Dr said mine was because of the Vasivagal issue...
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 AM   #29

Only once, as a pre-teen in a hot, crowded place. I'm sure it was the heat and dehydration. It was brief, as my dad got me outside and revived immediately.
I've had a few moments of extreme dizziness, on the point of fainting. The most notable was at the bedside of a dying relative when the nurse was inserting an IV. I also know from experience that I cannot watch my own blood being drawn. I turn my head and sing outloud whatever song is in my head. The nurse sings along with me
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 AM   #30

Only once as an adult. I was in my mid-40s, visiting my folks in Florida. Got up to pee in the middle of the night and felt strangely nauseous. Next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor, next to the toilet. The only dangerous thing about it, I suppose, was the possibility of striking my head or face on something, such as the toilet, on the way down.

My BP runs toward the low side. It has haver happened since, but I try to remember to sit down for those midnight bathroom runs, something that occurs with regularity now that I'm in my mid 60s.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

See a doctor. There are a lot of things that could cause this. Orthostatic hypostension, aFib, ventricular tachycardia, dehydration, low BP, etc. You may not be able to track it down but it is certainly worth trying. If you turn out to have a serious case of aFib, for example, there are medical interventions you should be evaluating now and not when you have a stroke.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:39 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
That was my life! From age 6 to 36!

I had Rheumatic fever as a kid. The blood work made me pass out for years! I was so afraid of Dr's it wasn't funny.

I've passed out in eye doctor's, dentist's, chiropractor's, dermatologist's, don't even talk about the neurosurgeon!

I remember at my childhood PCP's office him doing a throat culture and turning his back on me to retrieve a specimen bag. Boom, I face planted on the floor from the exam table! He was really upset with himself.

At a dental office the tech couldn't get my BP using a cuff and stethoscope. She left the room shouting "his BP is 40 over real low!". When the dentist came flying into the room I explained I was fainting. Could someone lay the chair down? She appeared to be pleased by my passing out(I was not dying in her chair)

Finally in my late 30's a kindly older nurse cured me! I no longer pass out from bloodwork, dental, nuersurgon or anywhere! It's so nice. 🤣
I gradually got over the issue, though into my late 20's anyway I could go in for an exam & be all worked up and have BP readings like 150/110 & then sit there & relax for 10 minutes and be 100/50 before stabilizing at "normal" of 120/75. Hasn't been a problem for many years now & BP readings remain normal.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

Please see a Doctor ASAP. I’ve had this happen twice to me in the past two years. I’m 63. They believe it’s Vasivagel but I’m also on BP meds. The reality is it could be many things and you need to get checked out!
mshelburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

That happened to me 10 years ago. 1 year later it happened again and I was diagnosed with 3rd Degree Heart Block. (Electrical Issue) I now have a trusty pacemaker and have never had a problem since.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:01 AM   #35

War story from halcyon years. I went to a home football game of the alma mater with an alumnus friend. We had the required massive amount of beer all day long, as usual for that event. Got home 3 am or so. Drank lots of water to rehydrate. Went to bed. Got up 7 am or so to use the bathroom. Felt dizzy in bathroom, thought wow I better get back to bed before I pass out or something. Next thing I know I heard a loud bang from out of nowhere, thought about that loud bang for a few seconds, then realized I was face down on the hallway carpet, nose bleeding away. Went to ER. They wanted to xray me, and mri me, etc, but I said no thanks, fearing my insurance would not pay for it. They sewed up the half inch of ripped skin on my nose, and off I went with a bandaid over it. I only had to pay the $50 copay for that trip, although some doctor group bill for $250 showed up out of nowhere, which insurance would not cover. I refused to pay it and the hospital said OK. Doctor at the ER thought the cause of blackout was low blood sugar and dehydration (which may have caused low blood pressure also I suppose).
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

To the OP, yes the exact same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. Standing in bathroom, doing what men do and the next thing I knew I was on the floor. Went to the doctor and did all the tests. He said it was a very infrequent but not uncommon thing to happen to men while urinating. Something to do with a short glitch in the blood pressure and nothing to get concerned about unless I start suddenly getting dizzy or it happens with any frequency. I was 47 at the time and it's never happened again. It did happen to 26 year old relative about a year later and as far as I know, not happened to him again either.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:48 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Just last week, I got up (too fast?) from the sofa, took two steps toward the kitchen, and suddenly knew I was going down. Didn’t pass out, but the loveseat across the room kept me from hitting the floor. If it repeats, I’ll be concerned. I gotta admit being surprised at the number of respondents here who this has happened to!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Not since I retired.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I have fainted numerous times, mostly due to changes in BP, especially when ill with nausea/vomiting. I also have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, for which I do the Epley Maneuver (if I catch it in time before I get too dizzy and faint!)
Old 01-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

To the OP, same thing happened to me. Spent weekend in hospital doing tests. Only thing they found was dehydration. A few weeks later I went to my family doctor and first thing he checked was my meds. He said he was suspicious of my Flomax for prostate. I then told him I had run out of that med for three days and had just gotten back on the med the day before the fainting episode. He told me to stop taking the med and I began feeling better within a day or so. He told me that whenever one of his patients (especially seniors) experience dizziness or fainting the first thing he checks is their meds. My prostate symptoms are only slightly more bothersome than before.
PatSea is offline   Reply With Quote