Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone feel better in retirement ?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone feel better in retirement ?

I have a question for those who have retired. Do you feel better physically ?

I'm wondering if the decreased stress has a direct effect on how you feel every day.

One of the reasons I want to retire early is so that I can get a good night's sleep, and stop worrying so much about the business. A few years ago I was having chest pains, I had just lost a good friend to a massive heart attack at age 31, so I went to the Mayo Clinic for a three day physical. The tests all came back with flying colors, but I still had the pain. The Dr. asked me to keep track of when I had these pains for 3 months. I did and they were when I was at work, or thinking about work. When I was fishing I never had them. The Dr. asked if I could live with the pain, I said yes, it was more irritation that pain. He said people react to stress differently. Some get head aches, some back aches, and others chest pains, or pains in other areas of the body.

Anyway, I'm wondering how some ER's feel once they make the leap from their stressfull jobs.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone feel better in retirement ?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
I have a question for those who have retired. Do you feel better physically ?

Anyway, I'm wondering how some ER's feel once they make the leap from their stressfull jobs.
I've experienced a significant improvement.

For years I could almost guarantee I would have a rather unpleasant lower digestive experience the night before I returned to work on Monday. My self-diagnosis was 'stress-induced IBS'. Looks like Dr REW was correct, since the condition virtually disappeared after I retired.

I can't say that I sleep a lot better, but at least when I do wake up in the middle of the night, it's not because I'm thinking about work (except for the occasional nightmare that I still have a j*b!).

Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's only been 7 months since I've retired, which is not a very long track record. With that said, I now experience fewer headaches and sleep much better. My level of stress is also much lower. I definitely do not feel as "rushed" for obvious reasons. Being able to take my time in day to day activities and routines is a positive outcome of being FIRE'd.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been free for 6 and a half months. I have lost weight, sleep better, catch myself smiling for no reason and have a new optimistic attitude. I used to have a brain like "radar" I would always be scanning for issues that may arise - very exhausing - and as I discussed in another thread months ago - the things I worried about, never happened( so if I'm not worrying...should I be?!). It was difficult to stop this negative scanning - I don't scan or worry nearly as much as I used to during work and therefore am stress free most of the time.
My blood pressure is way down as well.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired 3 months ago after conditions at work changed from excellent to
crappy a few months earlier. I have not regretted the decision once, even
though I was walking away from a year end $15K bonus and $11K 401k
bonus.

I feel better every day. My blood pressure has dropped back almost to normal,
I have managed to drop about 15 lbs (many more to go), and my digestive system
is not acting up almost every day.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #6

i'm feeling much better now.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

After I retired I stopped having migrane headaches. In fact, I no longer have any kind of headaches. Stress was apparently one of the triggers required and happily I no longer seem to have a stressful life. Also I no longer lay awake obsessing over problems related to work.
marpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the replies, it looks like I've got something to look forward to. Glad all of those that have replied have had positive outcomes, good health to all of you.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm 52 and feeling like 18 - unfortunately I look 53
Old 01-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Let's see - two years along:

Lost 50 pounds of fat
Migraines tapered off to none for 8 months now
No longer grind/clench teeth at night
Knees no longer ache
Haven't wrenched my back since retirement
Blood pressure still slightly elevated but way down from peak
Went to dentist in November, my gums are in better shape than last 10 years
Sleep very well
As was remarked: actually find myself smiling
My hair has less gray in it
Old 01-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

In my 12 days of retirement I find I am sleeping better.

Actually, I am sleeping too much.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
The same thing happened to me shortly after I retired 1 1/2 years ago. I felt like I had sleeping sickness or something. Fortunately, it wore off after a few weeks and my sleep returned to normal.
magellan_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

My retirement from 25 years of trial work was entry into an MFA program. One of the highlights is the 32 million dollar university rec center. I am a regular and have taken my leg press up to 800 lbs for several reps. I do dumbbell curls with the 50's and use similar weights beyond those of most of the 20 somethings who don't work out faithfully. Of course there are young studs who work out a lot who easily exceed my poundages. But age has taught me the value of grace and form. I don't cheat on my lifts. Those of you who have lifted know the difference. My blood pressure used to be 140's over 90's when I was practicing but now reads in the 110's over 70's. I don't know if what I am doing will translate to longevity but not giving up on the workout front sure translates into feeling much better about an active lifestyle. Recovery takes longer, injury avoidance is paramoount, but the dividends are sweet. I recommend the book Younger Next Year as a motivational starting point though some of the advice is too mainstream to be cutting edge. For the truly interested see Arthurdevany.com, Loren Cordain's Paleodiet website and books and Mercola.com, e.g. P.S. Intervals on the bike or running have been demonstrated to generate pulses of growth hormone: the elixir of active life. I do super 8's on the recumbent bike. A few minutes of liesurely warm up pace and then 30 seconds of maximal pumping followed by a recovery of a minute and a half or two of leisurely pedaling followed by another 30 seconds of furious pumping. Do this for eight cycles. Best done when hungry to deplete glycogen stores in the muscles. That's what counters insulin resistance.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Heck, yeah... see "I'm in the best shape of my life".

Excuse me, our tae kwon do kid tells me that it's time for us to get to the dojong for her to deliver my regular Friday-night butt-kicking... wait'll she "discovers" my new head-high long round kick...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

People should read the works of Robert Sapolsky from Stanford. He has studied the relationship of stress, cortisol and primates for years and is a great writer and teacher. His works are on Amazon and he has an excellent lecture series in the Teaching Company. There is no question that the constant stress of work has a very substantial negative physical effect on us.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

More than Greg?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
More than Greg?
Way more. He has always slept less than me though.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #18

I have a good friend, and now former co-worker, who just took an early ER this week. The reason he bailed was because of his health.

He has been on medication for high blood pressure for YEARS! (due to a very high stress job...a.k.a. - BS overload) He took off w*rk for about a month and a half (mid-November to last week). During that time off, he started feeling not so good, so he went to the doctor. After being checked out the doc told him he was suffering the side efects of LOW blood pressure. Took him off his BP meds....his BP went back to normal. He was fine for over a month. He came back to w*rk....and the BS, and had to start meds again....his BP had already sky-rocketed!!!

He walked in to the office Tuesday morning, threw his keys on the desk, and walked out for the LAST time!!! He's using his accumulated time until his "actual" ER date!!! His Doc will be happy....and HE will be even HAPPIER!!! Not to mention HEALTHIER!!!

I'm not yet ER'd, but my BP is a bit higher than it should be...doc says it's j*b related. He says it's not high enough to have to do meds though. So I'm sure my health will be better in just less than 12 weeks!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #19
gone traveling

I have noticed my BP is lower and may have to cut back on my meds!

I do feel so much more relaxed. Probably knowing the 250K mortgage is GONE! That I have a pension that will make it so I will always have a roof over my head and medical beenies. My fun YES FUN part time job, well lets call it a GIG because it is a blast makes almost 500 dollars a week doing!!

Gotta drive 2 miles to get there!

Having fun running, or limping see above post on tendonitis , things are really starting to feel real good been Erd lets see 3 weeks!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:27 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
Thanks for all the replies, it looks like I've got something to look forward to. Glad all of those that have replied have had positive outcomes, good health to all of you.
You don't really have to wait. A great book that addresses how to handle worry and stress is Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living." It offers practical ways to reduce (or eliminate) worry. I've noticed a significant difference - should say that I took the 12 week course as well. Good luck!
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote